Author Topic: Can The Finish On Taylor Guitars Be Rubbed Out?  (Read 2469 times)

resonator48

Can The Finish On Taylor Guitars Be Rubbed Out?
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »
I picked up a T5 Blackburst Custom in a trade. The guitar is really nice except for a 2 1/2 X 4" area that's a dull haze from the pick. Can this be buffed out or repaired without getting to expensive?

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
Re: Can The Finish On Taylor Guitars Be Rubbed Out?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:13:49 AM »
I would call Taylor Customer Service on this one.  They know exactly what type of finish is on the guitar and how much it can be "brought back" to a gloss by buffing.  Sound like you have a player on your hands  :P.

Check their website for the #.
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

resonator48

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »
I would call Taylor Customer Service on this one.  They know exactly what type of finish is on the guitar and how much it can be "brought back" to a gloss by buffing.  Sound like you have a player on your hands  :P.

Check their website for the #.

It's a 2006 that is a one owner and was played weekly at church and home. He just had fretwork done and a setup. Whoever did the work, did an outstanding job. The frets are perfect and the intonation is spot on. The hazed area isn't that big of a deal, but the rest of the T5 is so good, I'd like to get it taken care of.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »
Whether buffing out scratches or dulling is an option depends on the thickness of the finish and the depth of the scratches or scuffing. Taylor, in an effort to mitigate the damping effects that a finish imposes on a guitar's sound, has developed a thinner finish. I agree that you should ask Taylor what is the best way to repair the finish.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »
Regarding the effect of a surface finish on the guitar's sound, I think it'd be fascinating to hear a high-fidelity recording of a guitar that's been assembled 'naked', and then have it taken apart enough to properly finish it, reassembled and then repeat the recording. 

That would eliminate any variables such as wood densities, grain differences, etc.  Heck, if one was careful you could use the same strings, although using the same kind of strings from a common production lot would probably be just fine.

I don't know that anyone has done such a test, or whether any maker would want the results of such a test publicized but I do think it'd be really neat.
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:35:16 PM »
I think that a regular polish with cotton will eventually make the dullness disappear. In the past I've also used Martin Guitar Polish, which works a lot quicker. However it does the same as carwax, a micron of top layer is dissolved because of the chemicals in the fluid which is then repolished with a slightly abbrasive material in the polish fluid. Afterwards it'll all dry and a final polish leaves a nice shiny surface.
I can't say if it's safe to use but I've used it on a wide variety of guitars and it allways worked out fine.
Just do not use the last bit in the bottle, the abbrasive particles sink down and the last bit is much more abbrasive. Also shake well before applying.
It's safest to try a small spot first to see how it comes out. I don't think it'll make things worse but when in doubt you can allways ask the experts first, which will never hurt.

Ludwig
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:10:52 AM by Von Beerhofen »

dcarey

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »
Stewart MacDonald's Swirl Remover #4 will work just fine:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Abrasives,_polishes,_buffers/ColorTone_Polishing_Compounds.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=169699

I've used the StewMac polishing products to turn a satin finish to gloss.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:43:53 PM by dcarey »
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 01:53:43 AM »
larrivee, morgan & webber may use similar finish materials (in some cases)
but the finish application process & thickness is likely very different -
what may  work well on the rosewood back & sides of one these guitars
may  not fare as well on a T5-C top, which could be spruce or maple
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/