Author Topic: Pickguard vs No Pickguard  (Read 11706 times)

rogmichael

Pickguard vs No Pickguard
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:53:16 PM »
I have a Taylor GA4 on layaway, as you all know it comes without a pickguard.

I do more fingerstyle and some light strumming. Should I go with a pickguard or leave it off?

If I did install one I would prefer a solid black pickuard if I could find one. I think it would be kind of unique.

Thanks for your opinions!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:12:21 PM by rogmichael »

jrporter

• Veteran Member
Re: Pickguard vs No Pickguard
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
I purchased a GA4 today and promptly ordered a tortoise pickguard from Taylor. I also play fingerstyle with some light strumming thrown in, but it's amazing how those unplanned aberrant strums will eat up the area around the soundhole....

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
Consider a clear guard. I think Taylors look best without a guard, but the clear ones offer the protection without hurting the looks.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

sthompson

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »

Or even the clear, vinyl removable pickguard.
st
R.Taylor & Taylor, Goodall, Bourgeois, and Collings.
If only my skills were as sweet...

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:54:50 PM »
I have 5 Taylor GAs (soon to be 6!). I'm a full-time strummer/picker. The only one of my guitars that shows pick wear is the one that has a (clear) pickguard. The others, which have no pickguard, show no pick marks at all, which indicates that the finish is more resilient than a plastic pickguard!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
i'm with sachi on this one. love taylors without the pickguards as well. i don't mind nicks and dings on guitars. it really depends on your visual preference and play style. if you're a percussive and/or aggressive strummer then you might want to consider one.
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:16:13 PM »
Depends.  A spruce or cedar top with a Taylor pg looks very traditional ...part of its aesthetic signature , if you will.  Then again, with a special finish, particularly nicely-figured top, or attractive binding I'd go sans pg. 

For all but the most ardent strummers (and I mean heavy handed!), I think this is more of an aesthetic decision than a functional one.  The modern Taylor finish (at least since, say, 2006 robosprayer era or so ...but likely even earlier) is very durable and easily stands up to lots of use.  I'm a predominant strummer and hybrid picker and can attest to the finish holding up well over the years of consistent play.  Go with your aesthetic taste buds :)

Edward

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 08:43:50 PM »
Taylor recently started offering black pickguards in addition to tortoise or clear. I bet if you gave them a call they'd find a way to get you one for your new guitar with the right shape and soundhole radius. I'm with you in thinking that it could be something a little different for your guitar while retaining that signature Taylor look.

As others have said, the Taylor finish is pretty durable and you may not need it. But for some (like myself) it's more of an aesthetic choice than anything anyway. I think the GA style body looks good both with and without. Any bigger (dreadnought) and I think it needs a pickguard; any smaller (GC) and it often looks best without. So the good news is that you're in a win-win situation with that GA4!

Pickguard or not, enjoy the guitar when you get it... :)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

dangrunloh

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 12:07:56 AM »
For me it isn't an esthetic decision.  I flat pick and strum but after 10 month of playing I have a light haze of very fine scratches just beyond the edge of the pick guard of my 414.  It's not from the pick. Apparently it's from the nails on the fingers of my right hand. I do not curl my fingers under the palm.  Glad I have a pickguard and I like the classic looks of the Taylor TS pickguard.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 01:11:10 AM »
here's a black aftermarket 'guard that's kind of close (currently out-of-stock, though)
the contour is closer to an older hohner shape

ds custom  makes a 'contour' static removable black 'guard -
it reminds me of the gibson songmaker shape,  which were
made in the factory that garrison used to occupy, i think

either could be trimmed, i imagine -
i think that a removable guard would offer more protection
than the permanent clear ones (which are extremely thin)

for me, if the 'guard can come off without leaving a 'tan-line' or
if it slight enough to where it'll eventually blend in, it's outta there

when i strum, it's a rather aggressive attack (controlled 'thrash') & the marks that i've made were on a redwood top -
the only thing that might have 'saved it' could  have been a rosette guard , but they weren't available 6 years ago

no strum marks anywhere else & the marks weren't scratches, but more like tiny little 'pits'

imho, a pickguard can only do so much & if it's the difference between having a pristine top
as opposed to really feeling/expressing what's being played, i say bring on the mojo :D

in some cases, i could see a pickguard being warranted, but
it'd probably have to be an oversize one ;) - glen hansard
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:34:30 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »
...and often times when i get carried away playing, you really pay no mind with things such as playing/ strumming hard, on occasion tapping on the sound board for intro's/breaks for timing etc. a pick guard can only do so much but at the end of the day it's the playing that matters as you bring your soul/emotions to the table.

are you going to play that particular guitar on gigs? maybe put a pick guard on for extra protection. :) whatever you choose, choose what feels right for your taste and let the music flow. :) 
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

Black Beauty

• Black Beauty Music
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 06:11:08 AM »
If you ever get the chance check out Breedlove's higher end model pickguards, based on the Martin 50s style. The most beautiful I've ever seen.

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »
I purchased a GA4 today and promptly ordered a tortoise pickguard from Taylor. I also play fingerstyle with some light strumming thrown in, but it's amazing how those unplanned aberrant strums will eat up the area around the soundhole....

Here she is with her new pickguard and Fishman Matrix Infinity...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:07:35 AM by jrporter »

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 12:54:25 AM »
 I'm not a fan of scratchplates, especially on a cutaway. I spent plenty of cabbage on my 314ce and love the beautiful naked spruce top.

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Martin

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »
I have one of those removable, clear stick-on deals from Taylor. 

Love it.