Author Topic: "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."  (Read 1662 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:46:33 AM »
Where were you when you heard "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Sad to hear about Neil Armstrong. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
Re: "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »

I was surprised and saddened to learn that Neil Armstrong died. Part of a vanishing breed, he made me all the more proud to be an American,  epitomizing the can-do, down-to-earth, no-nonsense, unpresuming, coolheaded, steady spirit of his generation.

It is hard to accept that where once we were able to repeatedly land on the moon we now have to depend on the Russians to get us into space and even then, unable to venture beyond low-earth orbit.

My family was on the outskirts of Washington D.C. and we incredulously, proudly watched the original moon landing in real time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:34:45 AM by Herb Hunter »

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »
I was in the second grade, so I was sitting in Mrs. Constantino's classroom, glued to a television set.

These days, the word "hero" is often used in an overly cavalier fashion. Basketball players, actors and musicians, for whatever reason, are often bestowed the title by their fans. But make no mistake. Neil Armstrong did something that only one person would ever be able to do: Be the first human to walk on the moon. He agreed to do it, not knowing for certain whether or not he'd ever get back. Any number of things could've gone wrong, and Armstrong and Aldrin could've been lost.

But they did it anyway.

I can still remember Walter Cronkite's reaction to the moon landing; the one they're showing so much now. He was truly, truly affected by the overwhelming enormity of the moment.

Neil Armstrong was a true hero, and a hero in every sense of the word...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »
I was in the second grade, so I was sitting in Mrs. Constantino's classroom, glued to a television set.

Did they have year-round school where you lived? :o

My family was home as my parents were teachers who had off for the summer. We were all sitting in the living room watching it on TV. So many of the launches were widely popular back in the 60's and 70's with people making it a point to watch them live. Times certainly have changed.

Neil Armstrong accomplished something no other man will ever be able to do...to be the first person to walk on the moon. What a HUGE milestone. Very sad to hear the news of his death. :(
Cindy

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
Did they have year-round school where you lived?

They didn't but, because of the gravity of the event, they opened the school. Believe it or not, not everyone had televisions back then, and the Superintendent thought it important enough that everyone should have a chance to see it. There were people there watching who didn't even have children...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...