Poll

Provided the playing comfort of each body size is equal, which shape do you prefer 'most-to-least' in a 12 String ?                                                

GA, JM, GS
JM, GS , GA
GS, GA, JM
GS, JM, GA
JM, GA, GS
GA, GS, JM
other
donuts

Author Topic: Best 12-String body of all time: GA vs GS vs JM  (Read 5959 times)

lutehole

Best 12-String body of all time: GA vs GS vs JM
« on: August 23, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Which one is best and why? Please rank in order of preference.

How and why would you Rank them?

More importantly, Does a short scale hinder a 12-string instrument?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:07:01 AM by lutehole »

tedtan

Re: Best 12-String body of all time: GA vs GS vs JM
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
This is one of those things that comes down to personal preference rather than objectively "better" vs. "worse".

Having said that, my favorite is the GA body, as it is a great "all around" platform on which to build. Guitars with larger waists, or waists in different locations, can cause issues for my right elbow.

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »
The bodyshapes don't make a better guitar, it influences the overall sound the guitar produces. The larger the body the louder the sound. There are differences in the frequencey spectrum too but this also applies to the use of different woods used for the body within the same bodyshape.
The GA is about the most sold bodyshape, one reason is that the guitar is a nice size for most people. If you like deeper bass and louder overall sound you might want to go for the GS or JM instead, but I would definately take the wood choice into account when selecting the shape.
Some woods may produce a bit less bass and a larger shape can compensate for this.
Best thing though is to try as many as possible before you buy and use your acquired insight by doing so.

Ludwig

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »

in terms of feel, comfort, dynamics, responsiveness & projection one of these models
could  be a more suitable ('better') choice depending on one's personal preference -
tonewoods may  make a discernable tonal difference, imho, such as spruce/mahogany
maple, rosewood, koa, cocobolo, as well as hardwood tops (mahogany, koa, walnut)

perhaps, to provide a slightly better idea is, if one could ask what types of music
(genre & artists) do you like to listen to & play & what 'type of tone' you prefer ???

also, i could add a poll if you'd like, seeing as you're looking for a 'rank in order of preference'
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

lutehole

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »
The bodyshapes don't make a better guitar, it influences the overall sound the guitar produces. The larger the body the louder the sound. There are differences in the frequencey spectrum too but this also applies to the use of different woods used for the body within the same bodyshape.
The GA is about the most sold bodyshape, one reason is that the guitar is a nice size for most people. If you like deeper bass and louder overall sound you might want to go for the GS or JM instead, but I would definately take the wood choice into account when selecting the shape.
Some woods may produce a bit less bass and a larger shape can compensate for this.
Best thing though is to try as many as possible before you buy and use your acquired insight by doing so.

Ludwig
Why do you think Taylor removed their Jumbo 12's? I remember reading somewhere that it had something to do with the GS being superior but i am unsure.

lutehole

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 04:26:08 PM »

in terms of feel, comfort, dynamics, responsiveness & projection one of these models
could  be a more suitable ('better') choice depending on one's personal preference -
tonewoods may  make a discernable tonal difference, imho, such as spruce/mahogany
maple, rosewood, koa, cocobolo, as well as hardwood tops (mahogany, koa, walnut)

perhaps, to provide a slightly better idea is, if one could ask what types of music
(genre & artists) do you like to listen to & play & what 'type of tone' you prefer ???

also, i could add a poll if you'd like, seeing as you're looking for a 'rank in order of preference'

70s rock; I'm unsure what kind of tone i prefer :-\

A poll would be great but I have a feeling the results will be skewed since members seem more concerned with shoulder pain and comfort than overall tone. Perhaps you could state that we pretend they are all the same size or ignore comfort.

Thanks

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
Depends on what you're doing.  I have a K65ce that is a "Giggler" - Every time I play it, I just smile because it sounds so good.  Big, juicy Koa tone that records wonderfully and looks that are drool worthy.

When playing live in a plugged in scenario, I honestly prefer my T5-12s1 (Maple top).  Easier to move around with in tight situations, sounds great plugged in, and gives the added versatility of jumping from John Denver acoustic to Roger McGuinn Rickenbacker with a flick of a pickup switch and a twist of a tone knob.  I guess that, technically, it's a GA body shape.  I had a 654ce 30 Anniversary edition that played great and sounded okay, but didn't have the depth of tone acoustically that I was looking for, so it was sold once the K65 came into the home.

Finally, I can see how the GS would make for a killer 12 banger because they sound so good as a six string.  Haven't played on yet, however, so I'll reserve official judgement until that opportunity arises...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »
Lutehole,

I can't really say why they got removed, perhaps they didn't sell as good as the other models. It's a big one and there may not be many people who'll fit this guitar size. I think a good policy is to concentrate on that market segment which brings you the most profit and perhaps that's why it got discontinued.
I'm not sure if you can still order a Jumbo 12 string, I guess you still can if I recall the brochure properly.
I think it's important that you feel comfortable when you play but some guitarsizes just were too big for me personally to feel comfortable with, so I ended up with a GA because the GS of my guitar was sold out. It may not project as good as a GS but I definately feel very comfortable with it. It's not a choice I regret.

Ludwig

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
I just like the GA and GC sizes better.  I really like the GA3-12 and am still deciding if I am going to do a BTO or just get the GA3-12 later this year.

I was at a store last month that had a lot of 12 strings, I played a 355, 356, 656, 856, and a GA3-12.  I even struck up a conversation with a guy that was playing all the Martins and we played each for awhile so I got to hear them as well and after all that I just really like the GA3-12.

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »
I chose "other" since dreadnaught was not an option.  The 555 I've got is very nice but the body size is somewhat of an issue so I went for a 450.  The body size matches my 410 which is a "classic" dred shape.  And I have to say, I'm not giving up much, if anything going from a jumbo down to a dread.  I was pleasantly surprised and I'm still in the midst of my research/comparison.
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »
For me, the hierarchy would be:

Jumbo
Dreadnaught
GS
GA

That said, it would be a close one between the Dread and the GS. In all honesty, I think I could go either way...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

lutehole

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 02:01:29 AM »
Are the GA-12 & GS-12 both short scale?

If not, does Taylor offer both those in a short and long scale? What are the differences?

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 09:37:23 AM »

If not, does Taylor offer both those in a short and long scale? What are the differences?
as far as i know, the acoustic 12 strings have the standard 25.5" -
the T5-12 has a 24 7/8" ( short) scale & retains the 1 11/16" nut width &
there may  have been a 'one-off' RTS1 12 string 24 7/8" made, but
i don't recall a BTO 24 7/8" 12 string or a GC-12 (still, possible maybe  ??? )

support indie musicians

lutehole

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »

as far as i know, the acoustic 12 strings have the standard 25.5" -
the T5-12 has a 24 7/8" ( short) scale & retains the 1 11/16" nut width &
there may  have been a 'one-off' RTS1 12 string 24 7/8" made, but
i don't recall a BTO 24 7/8" 12 string or a GC-12 (still, possible maybe  ??? )

thanks Mike, a friend of mine from Sweden had a GA-12 and it was short scale. I can't remember if it was bad as i was only learning at the time. Do you think a short scale 12-string would be worser than a std scale 12?

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
i think the reduction in string tension from 25.5" to 24 7/8" might  have an effect, possibly
moreso on a 12 string than there would be on a 6 string, in terms of playability & accepting
an aggressive level of attack (i believe that 12'ers need to be able to be strummed hard)
without buzzing or fret rattle & .010 - .047s might  feel a bit 'floppier' on a shorter scale

support indie musicians