Author Topic: T5, Any Tips You'd Like To Share?  (Read 17770 times)

resonator48

T5, Any Tips You'd Like To Share?
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:08:55 AM »
Taylor has sold, and continues to sell a lot of T5's. I'd like to hear tips on getting the most out of the T5 for both the electric and acoustic side. Not interested in hearing people trash the T5. I've read the bad reviews. It's my thinking that most people are trying to make the T5 sound like a true acoustic or their favorite electric. I think success comes when you understand that the T5 is it's own thing.

I'm going to give the T5 a fair shot. I'd like to hear from those who have had success. What tips would you suggest?

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
Re: T5, Any Tips You'd Like To Share?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:32:43 AM »
When I was looking for a travel guitar, the salesman said, "Well, this isn't what you asked about, but let me show you something..." and brought out a T5.  That is the first guitar that made me think: "Well, I could sell the ES-335 that I've had for the past 46 years"!!!  Not what I was looking for at the time, but what an interesting and great-playing guitar.  I ran it through an acoustic amp, and with the pickup selector set right, it really did sound acoustic.  Then, a switch to "clean" and it was a great sounding semi-hollow body.  Run through both type amps would give you an amazing range.

No, it wasn't what I was looking for at the time (an acoustic made to take some traveling in a variety of conditions), but what a beautiful and fine-playing instrument.  I was VERY impressed.

Best wishes,
Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

resonator48

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:25:59 AM »
When I was looking for a travel guitar, the salesman said, "Well, this isn't what you asked about, but let me show you something..." and brought out a T5.  That is the first guitar that made me think: "Well, I could sell the ES-335 that I've had for the past 46 years"!!!  Not what I was looking for at the time, but what an interesting and great-playing guitar.  I ran it through an acoustic amp, and with the pickup selector set right, it really did sound acoustic.  Then, a switch to "clean" and it was a great sounding semi-hollow body.  Run through both type amps would give you an amazing range.

No, it wasn't what I was looking for at the time (an acoustic made to take some traveling in a variety of conditions), but what a beautiful and fine-playing instrument.  I was VERY impressed.

Best wishes,
Jim

Jim, thanks for the reply. Your comment about "an acoustic made to take some traveling in a variety of conditions" made me think you should try a Rainsong Shorty FT. This is a carbon fiber OM size acoustic 12 fret guitar that sounds amazing and can take anything (variety of conditions) you can throw at it. It stays in tune going from air conditioning to outside high humidity.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »
Taylor has sold, and continues to sell a lot of T5's. I'd like to hear tips on getting the most out of the T5 for both the electric and acoustic side. Not interested in hearing people trash the T5. I've read the bad reviews. It's my thinking that most people are trying to make the T5 sound like a true acoustic or their favorite electric. I think success comes when you understand that the T5 is it's own thing.

I'm going to give the T5 a fair shot. I'd like to hear from those who have had success. What tips would you suggest?
dcopper has extensive experience with the T5 :)

here are a couple of links
newest T5 tone
amps

i'm sorry i don't have much more to offer -
to me, the T5 is an electric/acoustic hybrid & while it may not  replace one's favorite electric
or acoustic outright, imho, it offers the versatility of being able to produce some great tones
(simultaneously if desired) & being able to switch 'on-the-fly' (i.e. acoustic to electric & back)
which can be nice, especially in a situation where one guitar player is having to 'cover it all'

out of the T5's i've tried (spruce, maple, koa), i preferred the tone (unplugged also), feel (satin neck) &
aesthetics (understated) of the T5-X - i wish that the gigbag was a bit more 'substantial' (like a hardbag)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »

Best wishes,
Jim

Jim, thanks for the reply. Your comment about "an acoustic made to take some traveling in a variety of conditions" made me think you should try a Rainsong Shorty FT. This is a carbon fiber OM size acoustic 12 fret guitar that sounds amazing and can take anything (variety of conditions) you can throw at it. It stays in tune going from air conditioning to outside high humidity.

Not to hijack your thread, but I did play a bunch of guitars, including a couple CF; didn't try a Rainsong Shorty FT, though.  The GSmini has been great for my use - we're living on our boat this summer while we work "fun summer jobs" (quotes, because I remind my wife of this each time she has to get up early to open the office  ;)).  From humid to warm (relative term here in the Pacific Northwest) to cool, the guitar stays in tune, sounds good, and just fits.

I've had more electrics than acoustics over the years, but Les Pauls and Strats never swayed me from my 335.  That T5, however, looked, felt, and played "just right."  My wife encouraged me to get it, but it wasn't the right "tool" for the job... well, the boat.  If I were looking for a steady diet of electric, that T5 would be the choice.
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
G day Resonator, Dave Copper and myself have corresponded about our T5's for a few years now, he has put in a lot of time into getting great results.

We both use heavy gauge electric strings for both acoustic and electric situations, the wound "G' string gives a much more fuller sound, they are only .012's.

I usually play through both electric amp and pa simultaneously via an A B switch for the best results, although recently I've been just using a pa coupled with powered monitors, I also use a sans amp modelar pedal for my more electric tones with great results.

I mainly use positions 2 & 4 for the acoustic tones and if soloing with a little more gain position 5.

The main drawback for most people with the T5 is they expect too much from it without putting in the time to experiment with what the guitar can do.

If you just plug into a pa and expect it to sound like an 810 you'll be disappointed, but if you don't mind trying a few effects and spending a reasonable about of time finding what the T5 is capable of the rewards are there.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:38:24 PM by coldshot »
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
FWIW, I played a T5 for prob near an hour once at a shop (really cool guys in a small mom-pop place ...they were'nt busy and didnt at all mind :) ), through a variety of diff tube amps.  As an electric guy and admitted tube snob, I have to say I dug the T5 a lot.  It is an electric guitar, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  Good tones for rock, blues, and pop, usable pup switch and tone pots, and plays ...well, like a Taylor!  I'd likely never own one personally as I dearly love my Pauls, Strats, and Tele, but that's just my personal guitar "flavor bias": the T5 is IMHO a perfectly capable electric, period!

Now as for acoustic, I've heard on two road shows how convincing an acoustic tone it can deliever.  But the key in good acoustic tone is a splitter.  Run through a PA or acoustic rig and you will get good acoustic tone.  I've heard it with my own ears: not perfect acoustic guitar tone mind you, but really good tone, and certainly good enough for live work, IMHO.  But I assume that's what you want, right?  After all, if you're recording, you'd use an acoustic to record for acoustic tone...  :)

Edward

resonator48

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »

dcopper has extensive experience with the T5 :)

here are a couple of links
newest T5 tone
amps

i'm sorry i don't have much more to offer -
to me, the T5 is an electric/acoustic hybrid & while it may not  replace one's favorite electric
or acoustic outright, imho, it offers the versatility of being able to produce some great tones
(simultaneously if desired) & being able to switch 'on-the-fly' (i.e. acoustic to electric & back)
which can be nice, especially in a situation where one guitar player is having to 'cover it all'

out of the T5's i've tried (spruce, maple, koa), i preferred the tone (unplugged also), feel (satin neck) &
aesthetics (understated) of the T5-X - i wish that the gigbag was a bit more 'substantial' (like a hardbag)

Thanks for the heads up and links. I've talked to Dave Copper on the acoustic guitar forum about the T5, but that was a couple years ago. I'm sure I had kept the PM's Dave had sent me in a folder, but I can't find them. For sure dcopper is "The Man" when it comes to everything T5. I hope Dave chimes in.

resonator48

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 10:21:56 PM »
G day Resonator, Dave Copper and myself have corresponded about our T5's for a few years now, he has put in a lot of time into getting great results.

We both use heavy gauge electric strings for both acoustic and electric situations, the wound "G' string gives a much more fuller sound, they are only .012's.

I usually play through both electric amp and pa simultaneously via an A B switch for the best results, although recently I've been just using a pa coupled with powered monitors, I also use a sans amp modelar pedal for my more electric tones with great results.

I mainly use positions 2 & 4 for the acoustic tones and if soloing with a little more gain position 5.

The main drawback for most people with the T5 is they expect too much from it without putting in the time to experiment with what the guitar can do.

If you just plug into a pa and expect it to sound like an 810 you'll be disappointed, but if you don't mind trying a few effects and spending a reasonable about of time finding what the T5 is capable of the rewards are there.

Good luck.

Thanks for great info and help. This is exactly why I started this thread. Taylor says position #1 is the best for acoustic. You use positions 2 & 4 for acoustic. Also, heavier gauge electric strings for better acoustic and electric yield a fuller sound. Good to Know.

I should tell you why I'm interested in the T5. I've developed arthritis and also neuropathy in my hands. I can play my strat, tele, Hamer Studio for a long time before my hands give out. Not so with the Acoustic Rainsong Jumbo. My hands go out after 10 minutes or so. I picked up a T5 at a local music store and it played as well or better than my electrics. I'm trying to hold on to playing and getting acoustic tones. The electric side is a bonus.

resonator48

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:30:29 PM »
I should tell you why I'm interested in the T5. I've developed arthritis and also neuropathy in my hands. I can play my strat, tele, Hamer Studio for a long time before my hands give out. Not so with the Acoustic Rainsong Jumbo. My hands go out after 10 minutes or so. I picked up a T5 at a local music store and it played as well or better than my electrics. I'm trying to hold on to playing and getting acoustic tones. The electric side is a bonus.

As far as equipment, I have a Princeton Reverb, a SR Technologies Jam 150 Plus Acoustic Amp, I also use a Boss DR-880 that I love. I also have a Boss Eband JS-10 on the way which has the same processor as the Boss GT-100. I'm also thinking about going with an Eleven Rack and running it into a couple high end studio Monitors. I want the Eleven Rack and Studio Monitors to work. It would be the easiest solution for hauling back and forth to Florida for the winter. I'm strictly a home player. So, what do ya think?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:24:18 PM »
... I have a Princeton Reverb, a SR Technologies Jam 150 Plus Acoustic Amp, I also use a Boss DR-880 that I love. I also have a Boss Eband JS-10 on the way which has the same processor as the Boss GT-100. I'm also thinking about going with an Eleven Rack and running it into a couple high end studio Monitors. I want the Eleven Rack and Studio Monitors to work. It would be the easiest solution for hauling back and forth to Florida for the winter. I'm strictly a home player. So, what do ya think?

Yeah, I think you're perfectly fine with the Fender PR ...which if I read you right will serve as the "core electric tone" for your rig.  The GT100 is what you make of it: you can use the models, or bypass the models and use it for the effects (like an all-in-one programmable stompbox).  The former diminishes the affect (or should I say "benefit," but that's my bias toward tubes :) ) of your using a tube amp, whereas the latter retains the PR's voicing as your tonal foundation, on which you are simply layering effects on top.  I personally prefer the latter, but that's entirely up to you and your ears/tastes.  Sorry if I'm telling you the obvious ...I'm certain you know your gear!

Never used a JS10, and the DR880 is a staple, so sure, good to go. 

Eleven rack is pretty dang sweet ...and you say you don't play out?!!  :)  And the Jam150 is more "PA" like ...which is what you need.  Colorless flat EQ, and the ability to tone shape, is the best way to get the most out of a Taylor ES system which is, in essence, what the T5 is offering you.   So yessir, IMHO you have no shortage of nice gear there, and getting good electric tone from the PR and fx side is easy, while switching to your acoustic rig is literally a click away (if playing live with a A/B/Y switcher box); or just going through the acoustic rig will yield you nice acoustic-ish tone.  If you were on a Rainsong and find playing the T5 physically your solution, then yes, I think you'll find the acoustic tone to your liking.  Adn if you don't, well then tear up that bill I sent you and consider this free advice :)

Edward

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:27:15 PM by Edward »

resonator48

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »
... I have a Princeton Reverb, a SR Technologies Jam 150 Plus Acoustic Amp, I also use a Boss DR-880 that I love. I also have a Boss Eband JS-10 on the way which has the same processor as the Boss GT-100. I'm also thinking about going with an Eleven Rack and running it into a couple high end studio Monitors. I want the Eleven Rack and Studio Monitors to work. It would be the easiest solution for hauling back and forth to Florida for the winter. I'm strictly a home player. So, what do ya think?

Yeah, I think you're perfectly fine with the Fender PR ...which if I read you right will serve as the "core electric tone" for your rig.  The GT100 is what you make of it: you can use the models, or bypass the models and use it for the effects (like an all-in-one programmable stompbox).  The former diminishes the affect (or should I say "benefit," but that's my bias toward tubes :) ) of your using a tube amp, whereas the latter retains the PR's voicing as your tonal foundation, on which you are simply layering effects on top.  I personally prefer the latter, but that's entirely up to you and your ears/tastes.  Sorry if I'm telling you the obvious ...I'm certain you know your gear!

Never used a JS10, and the DR880 is a staple, so sure, good to go. 

Eleven rack is pretty dang sweet ...and you say you don't play out?!!  :)  And the Jam150 is more "PA" like ...which is what you need.  Colorless flat EQ, and the ability to tone shape, is the best way to get the most out of a Taylor ES system which is, in essence, what the T5 is offering you.   So yessir, IMHO you have no shortage of nice gear there, and getting good electric tone from the PR and fx side is easy, while switching to your acoustic rig is literally a click away (if playing live with a A/B/Y switcher box); or just going through the acoustic rig will yield you nice acoustic-ish tone.  If you were on a Rainsong and find playing the T5 physically your solution, then yes, I think you'll find the acoustic tone to your liking.  Adn if you don't, well then tear up that bill I sent you and consider this free advice :)

Edward

Edward, thanks for the reply. I do have some pretty nice equipment. I've been buying and selling for quit a long time. I'm very fond of the Princeton Reverb and the Jam 150 Plus. I'm going to order the matching extension cab for the Jam 150. I forgot to mention, I also use a BBE Acoustimax which I've had great success with on the acoustic guitars I've owned. How do you think it would work with the T5? I also have a pedal board consisting of a Barber Tone Press, Zendrive, Barber LTD, MXR Carbon Copy, Hardwire RV-7 and a BBE Sonic Stomp. I'll have to experiment and see what works and what doesn't.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:02:00 PM by resonator48 »

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »
I own and play both the 6 string and 12 string versions of the T5 and love them!  The T5 has become my primary gigging electric because of its versatility and amazing tonal quality.  Just this past Saturday night, I had a gig with a friend at a local restaurant/coffee shop.  We like to balance out the tone, so he will play primarily acoustic and I will fill and improvise on electric & acoustic.  I use a little Zoom G3 modeling effects pedal and we play through a Bose L1 system.  The T5 goes from acoustic to Tele with a flick of a switch and twist of a tone control on the guitar, and a couple taps of the foot pedal.  A little less gain and another switch flick, and I'm jazzing with the best of them.  Just a wonderfully versatile instrument.

The 12 string is, bar none, the best 12 banger available for stage use.  Sounds great in acoustic mode, and is worlds easier to manage onstage compared to a full sized acoustic.  It makes you actually want to play 12 string songs!

The advice from DCopper is top shelf and should be heeded.  The only advice that I can give (other than patience and experimentation are your friends with this guitar) is to run the balanced TRS-XLR connection out of the guitar, then use the Hi-Z to Lo-Z transformer (XLR-1/4" TS adaptor) to connect up either to your amp or pedal board.  This gives you significant additional gain out of the guitar as compared to using a standard 1/4" unbalanced cable.  You can use this additional gain to drive the front end of your amp a bit harder at a lower volume, or just have more detail in your tone when playing clean.  It really makes a big difference.

Have fun & enjoy!!!
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »
Hey resonator,

You hit the nail on the head: gotta try the pedals and see which sounds "right" with the guitar.  As you know, so much is in the ears of the beholder.  But certainly no problem with your fine choice of pedals! :)

FWIW, I like the Boss GT series ...still have the old faithful GT3 that still serves my electric rig well today as I use it on "manual" as a simple stomper, which allowed me to sell of all the other pedals I had accumulated over years.  Once I found my tone home in Boogies (sheesh, well over a decade ago!), I found my desire for fx much simplified, and so the GT3 fit my use great.  Then again, the GT10 and 100 look mighty nice and I'll break down eventually ...once it breaks down, lol!  The Digi Hardwire stuff is excellent!  Love the fact it's true bypass and sounds good ...not to mention pristine clean.  I use the verb and delay for my acoustic setup (ES-Taylor) and they deliver great ...I'd have no reason to believe you wouldn't likewise get great results with a T5.  Hope that helps you a bit :)

Ed

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »
The GT-10 is a sweet board and covers a lot of ground.  Lately, I've been leaving the GT-10 at home in favor of a Zoom G3 board.  A lot smaller physically than the Boss, but with some excellent amp modeling and effects.  The effects are pretty darned good and the amp models are dead on.  The balanced output of the T5 into a Hi-Z transformer and then into the G3 drives enough extra gain to nicely break up the Fender Vibro model.  All other models also respond very well to input gain changes.

Zoom advantage is that it is a lot smaller, can be operated on 4 AA batteries or USB power and, frankly, is a lot easier to program than the Boss.  Oh yeah, it costs about a quarter of the Boss...

Here's a link to the website:  http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/guitar-effects/g3/
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato