Author Topic: Olympics anyone?  (Read 3485 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Olympics anyone?
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »
Just wondering if anybody out there in UTGF enjoys the Olympics?

The Olympics are actually the only tv sports I watch.  So every 2 years I get my fill of watching sport on tv.   Saturday I got up mighty early to watch mens road cycling.  I plan on watching gymnastics and a whole lot of swimming competition.   
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Olympics anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »
Growing up, the summer and winter Olympics fell during the same year. I like how they have now staggered them so they occur every other year. My summer favs are gymnastics, swimming, beach volleyball, and track & field although there are a myriad of other sports I like to watch, too.

My favorite memory was watching Olga Korbut do her back-flip from the top bar of the uneven bars. Apparently that move has now been banned (and I can understand why). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYPcdj_wn4&feature=youtu.be
Cindy

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
went to the summer games in los angeles -
i remember seeing bill cosby walking outside the venue wearing sweats 8)

cokes from a vending machine were about 5x the usual $ :o
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Terry

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:07:26 AM »
I find it hard to get excited watching millionaire athletes compete in what was once an amateur competition. I was surprised to read that only two sports today truly are amateur competitions. According to Wikipedia "Olympic regulations regarding amateur status of athletes were eventually abandoned in the 1990s with the exception of boxing and wrestling, where the rules for participation still require amateur status rather than professional status for the safety of the participants."
Terry
PS Some of the fringe sports are fun to watch, where you have no idea who the competitors are. And woman's beach volleyball has its attractions. ;)
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:09:56 PM »
I find it hard to get excited watching millionaire athletes compete in what was once an amateur competition. I was surprised to read that only two sports today truly are amateur competitions. According to Wikipedia "Olympic regulations regarding amateur status of athletes were eventually abandoned in the 1990s with the exception of boxing and wrestling, where the rules for participation still require amateur status rather than professional status for the safety of the participants."
Terry

PS Some of the fringe sports are fun to watch, where you have no idea who the competitors are. And woman's beach volleyball has its attractions. ;)

In large part that is true, but Missy Franklin is a Gold medal winner in swimming this year and she is not pro.  Most of the girls gymnastics are not even out of high school, they are gold medal winners.  So some of the best amateur athletes are besting the pros, I like that.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »
I do check in on The Games here and there, was surprised to see synchronized diving, don't think I've ever seen that before.
Enjoyed watching the China v. S.Korea women's archery, saw a bit of the US v Aus men's archery as well, pretty cool!
I also really like the gymnastics, swimming and b.volleyball. 

I really dislike seeing 'dream teams' of soccer/fotbal and especially pro basketball players.  Those sports, at least at the pro level, shouldn't even be in the Oly's, IMO.
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Terry

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 10:49:24 PM »
I really dislike seeing 'dream teams' of soccer/fotbal and especially pro basketball players.  Those sports, at least at the pro level, shouldn't even be in the Oly's, IMO.
Ditto.
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:12:23 AM »
any of you watch tennis? it's extra special since it's being held in wimbeldon. too bad world no3 nadal did not play. it's currently in the SF round with federer (sui) - del potro (arg) and djokovic(serb) vs murray(great britian).
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »
I was glad to see Murray take the gold for Great Britain but I couldn't get over the fact that IMO Federer didn't seem to be trying his best.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

djl1

• djl music and images
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 04:38:32 AM »
Chris Hoy's triumph in the keirin final was just breathtaking.  There are insufficient superlatives to describe the speed and power of his cycling coming from a length back to beat Max Levy of Germany. He also overtakes Steve Redgrave to become the most successful British Olympic athlete. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vV5_kfNAwY
Here is a sunrise, ain't that enough?

http://davidlines.net

ewalling

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
I was glad to see Murray take the gold for Great Britain but I couldn't get over the fact that IMO Federer didn't seem to be trying his best.

Me too, but I didn't think there was anything lacklustre about Federer's performance. The Olympic gold medal would have been quite a crowning glory for him and I'm sure he really wanted it. That said, I think he's such a good guy (or seems to be) that Murray's victory, before a British crowd and on the heels of the crushing recent Wimbledon defeat, seemed to please him on a human level.