Author Topic: Sub-forum or not to sub-forum that is the question.......*****UPDATED*****  (Read 8755 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
We can obviously keep the "Welcome" sub forum.

I want honest opinions here.  Should we just go back to the "general" section?  The sub forums in place a still growing but slowly...which isn't a problem at all.

Should we consolidate the current sub forums into smaller number? Or should we keep everything as is?

- Josh
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:48:46 PM by jjrpilot-admin »
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Sub-forum or not to sub-forum that is the question..........
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »
I think most of the sub-forums are fine.  But I would lose the "Pickup Systems" and "Acoustics, BTO's, LTD's".  Topics in those sub-forums seem redundant with what's in the general sub-forum.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »
Sub-forums help to specify the topics of discussion, but over-doing it may create confusion and redundancies.  I would fold the BTO/LTD thread back into General.  The Pickup Systems could go or stay in my opinion.  I do have to say that creating a specific sub-forum for the Expression System (since it is distinctively Taylor) would be cool, but that would probably be confusing if there's also another Pickup Systems sub-forum. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »
hi Josh,

it may seem like a lot of work (& i'd be willing to help), but perhaps for a while, continuing to move
the older threads from the General area to their respective sections would be worth considering -
it does seem that most activity is in the General section because everyone's used to the 'living room'

also perhaps reconfiguring the Acoustic Pick Up subforum & expanding it to cover T5, T3 & SB models,
along with their amps, rigs & set ups ... kind of like an Electric/Amplifed (with acoustic pick ups)
i don't know if that would get too confusing, but it might be nice to have a bit more room for guitars

just a thought
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:08:08 AM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

DMBfan41

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:26:59 PM »
hi Josh,

it may seem like a lot of work (& i'd be willing to help), but perhaps for a while, continuing to move
the older threads from the General area to their respective sections would be worth considering -
it does seem that most activity is in the General section because everyone's used to the 'living room'

also perhaps reconfiguring the Acoustic Pick Up subforum & expanding it cover T5, T3 & SB models,
along with their amps, rigs & set ups ... kind of like an  Electric/Amplifed (with acousic pick ups)
i don't know if that would get too confusing, but it might be nice to have a bit more room for guitars

just a thought

What he said. 
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

Iplay2

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »
hi Josh,

also perhaps reconfiguring the Acoustic Pick Up subforum & expanding it cover T5, T3 & SB models,
along with their amps, rigs & set ups ... kind of like an  Electric/Amplifed (with acousic pick ups)

just a thought

I agree also.  Just make it into a pickup/electric section.

I would also be fine with losing the Acoustic BTO/ LTD section - I'm never sure if I should post acoustic stuff in the general section or the Acoustic section.  Other than that, this is a fantastic place!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:53:09 PM by Iplay2 »

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »
Josh,

I like it the way it is at least for now since the site is new.  It is fun to see where everyone is coming from. 
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 02:53:45 PM »
I would lose the acoustic and pickup subforum.  Keep everything else as is.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

markallen

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
+1  Yup, I agree with this.

Keep up the great work Josh! (Way to go Michael for jumping in to help!)

hi Josh,

just a thought

andyi5

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
I agree too, and I'm finding the sub forums a bit slow to navigate, especially if the connection speed is slow as it sometimes can be where I live. It really amounts to having to check a few different forums. It's also easy to miss things - for instance there's one thread about the GS mini posted in the BTO section. I think if all of this came into the main living room it would make for a very interesting main page, with a variety of interesting posts and discussions coming in.

Gary0319

• Sarasota FL USA
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »
I'll add my vote for rolling the BTO, etc forum into the main section, and reconfig the Pickups section to include amps, live sound etc.

Keep up the good work Josh, looking fine.

Gary
Taylor 612c Quilted Maple - 1994
Taylor Custom GC All Mahogany - 2010
Guild GAD30R - 2005
Recording King ROS-06 - 2010
Eastman E10 OM - 2011
Greg Bennett OM-08 - 2009
Yamaha CGX-171SCF Flamenco - old

darylcrisp

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 04:38:38 PM »
i agree with the others, stick the bto and ltd in the general and have a sub forum for the electric stuff.

d

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »
i agree with the others, stick the bto and ltd in the general and have a sub forum for the electric stuff.

d

Same here.

And thanks for your constant attention, Josh!

Edward

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »
Hi dear Friends!

THE PEOPLE have spoken!!!   ;D

Once again, I want this forum to reflect you!

Thanks for being patient as we tweak this and that.

1. The "acoustic/LTD, BTO etc" sub-forum has been deleted, and all topics have been merged into the "general" sub-forum.

2. The "pickup" sub-forum has also been deleted and all topics have been moved to the "general" sub-forum.

We now have only 6 sub-forums for you all to navigate.  Deleting 2 sub-forums will make it easier to post, and easier to keep up with.  It will and should help to really bring our "family/community" closer together etc.

I hope this makes it easier for you all.  Thanks for everything!!!   :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:50:33 PM by jjrpilot-admin »
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

andyi5

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
Hey good job Josh! Was gonna post I noticed you'd done it but you already have!

One other thought that's just arisen - the other forum has a longer main page allowing for I think 30 entries, and given that all "stickies" weren't on the Taylor page, it basically means 30 entries of new incoming posts, slowing the rate at which things drop off the front page. However the main Taylor page on UTGF has about 5 stickies, then space for about 15 other posts before it goes to page 2. This is a nice problem to have as it shows how popular the forum's become, but if the Taylor Guitar's page is to be people's main access point it may be good to extend the number of entries lengthwise. If this creates a problem though in terms of the design, no worries. You're doing a fine job with this.