Author Topic: does a new guitar's voice or sound improve with age? need advice  (Read 9020 times)

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
Re: does a new guitar's voice or sound improve with age? need advice
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 12:33:11 PM »
I have had guitars that changed/matured in a positive way within 6 months of acquisition ... I have bought guitars (mostly used) that sounded good when obtained and never changed much over time ... I do believe that the best way to insure a good maturing of an instrument is to play it regularly.  Of course, wooden instruements will change over time.  As has been said, I would not buy a guitar with the hopes that it will sound better with age.  But in general, if a guitar sounds good when new, it should sound better with age.  However, that is not always the case, particularly with certain tone woods.  I have heard stories of guitars that went the other way but that is extremely rare IMO.
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

zaskar1

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
hi all

i really appreciate the in depth analysis, opinions, and advice you all have given to me.
everyone's knowledge in this forum is really enlightening
you all obviously have spent a lot of time researching Taylor guitars and their history.

obviously are financial considerations, as dropping over $2k on another guitar is a concern, but i can afford to keep both if that is the way it goes.

so i think what everyone is saying is that the new 2012 Taylor 814ce might change with time, but dont count
on it, just listen to what it sounds like now.

i really like the 2012 814ce, when i first got it, i thought after 2 years of looking, i finally found something
that would fill my needs for a steel string acoustic. 
the sound just reached out to me and i knew this was it!

however, the 2006 914ce sounds different, maybe even a little better, i dont know.
i guess i will just do a comparison, and if i can tell there is a significant difference to me, i will
probably end up with both.

regards
z

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
i really like the 2012 814ce, when i first got it, i thought after 2 years of looking, i finally found something
that would fill my needs for a steel string acoustic. 
the sound just reached out to me and i knew this was it!

however, the 2006 914ce sounds different, maybe even a little better, i dont know.
i guess i will just do a comparison, and if i can tell there is a significant difference to me, i will
probably end up with both.

Both is best if you like aspects of both and don't HAVE to sell one ... don't sell just because you think that one is the best all-around unless you really need/want to.  When I got my first 814ce, I thought along the lines of "one guitar is all I need and this is it".  Several Taylors later, some in, some out, I have reached a fairly satisfactory point.  Now I'll always have other acoustics on my mental list (other possible tone wood combinations, body sizes, etc.), but I am not as inclined to pursue them before trying them out and making sure they hit the spot. 

I have ended up with a newly braced (CV) 814ce that continues to please ... I consider it much better than my original 814ce with the Std II bracing and not to mention better (IMO) ES system.  It is really a great all-around acoustic and when I play out, it is my first choice.  I also have a Walnut/Sitka 414ce LTD that I like a lot that offers different tonal characteristics.  Between those 2, my needs are met.  Of course, if I go into a shop one day and one just leaps off the wall and sings to me, than I will be scrambling to secure the needed funds ... GAS never really completely gets cured ... :)

You've got 2 great Taylor's there.  Each one has its unique offerings ... keep 'em both if you can and enjoy ... if you ever become completely convinced that one has to go, there will be many buyers around ...
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »

i guess my question is, will the 814ce eventually sound as "full" as the 914ce after a year or so when it is suppose to "open up" or is what i hear today is what they both will sound like.

No one can predict that because no one but you knows what you mean by "full."  If you like the sound of the 814, it may improve with age.  If you don't really like the sound, chances are the "opening up" process will not change your opinion.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

zaskar1

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »
hi all

well, i went to play the 914ce before making the final
decision, and boy was i surprised.

i have been working long hours and not practicing much, but
for whatever reason, the 914ce didnt sound so great to me anymore.
maybe its my playing, but for whatever reason, i dont think that
this guitar is for me.  my 814ce sounds just fine.
Guess i will take a pass on the 914ce, even though it looks great!

perhaps i will go back to my original plan, get a martin for a
different sound.

all of the LGS in the area have some used Martins that might be considered.
i have gone through some of the boutique instruments like, SC, Collings, Bourgeois, HD
and really didnt find a fit.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, it was really enlightening

regards
z

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »
hi all

well, i went to play the 914ce before making the final
decision, and boy was i surprised.

i have been working long hours and not practicing much, but
for whatever reason, the 914ce didnt sound so great to me anymore.
maybe its my playing, but for whatever reason, i dont think that
this guitar is for me.  my 814ce sounds just fine.
Guess i will take a pass on the 914ce, even though it looks great!

perhaps i will go back to my original plan, get a martin for a
different sound.

all of the LGS in the area have some used Martins that might be considered.
i have gone through some of the boutique instruments like, SC, Collings, Bourgeois, HD
and really didnt find a fit.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, it was really enlightening

regards
z

In  the quest for something different, I've owned many shapes, sizes and brands of guitars, and finally came to the conclusion that Taylor's GA fits me best. So now, I just look for different flavors of GAs to diversify my stable. It's nice to have the familiarity that makes for easy transition from one to another, along with the variety of different woods to add a different space to every playing session.  I'll be embarking on the search for my sixth GA in a few weeks (BTO time!). Enjoy your quest - the 814's a great place to begin!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mcookoc

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »
i am sure they do but buy for the sound when new and it will only get better.