Author Topic: Taylor Tuners  (Read 14904 times)

Joe M

Taylor Tuners
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:36:35 AM »
Even though their tuners are marked "Taylor", do they actually make them? Or are they just made by someone else and marked Taylor? If so, does anyone know who makes them?

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
Re: Taylor Tuners
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »
They are manufactured by Ping.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:24:39 AM »
Correct. In addition, some high-end models (Presentation Series, some limiteds, R. Taylors) use Gotoh 510 tuners.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Joe M

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
It's my understanding that the 1xx and 2xx series guitar tuners aren't marked with Taylor but the ones marked with Taylor will still fit (as told to me by a Taylor rep). If you are in the market for Taylor tuners or those from another manufacturer, you can also post a Wanted to Buy ad for tuners in the Marketplace subforum if you are interested. :)
Cindy

DMBfan41

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:06:19 PM »
It's my understanding that the 1xx and 2xx series guitar tuners aren't marked with Taylor but the ones marked with Taylor will still fit (as told to me by a Taylor rep). If you are in the market for Taylor tuners or those from another manufacturer, you can also post a Wanted to Buy ad for tuners in the Marketplace subforum if you are interested. :)

Correct.  The ones on my 214 are not marked "Taylor" but are the same.

For anyone looking for the Taylor stamped chromes, I got a set up for sale posted in the marketplace. 
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »
The Grover tuners Taylor used before switching to the current ones were also made by Ping.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »
one slight difference is the ratio on the 'unbranded' chrome tuners (used on the
100/200, Babies & GS Mini ) is 14:1, rather than the ping-sourced Taylor tuners 18:1 -
the full-size chrome Taylors are a 'direct-replacement' upgrade for the 100/200s &
the mini size Taylor tuners (used on 12-string 300/400) can be used on Babies/GS Mini
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Iplay2

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »
The Grover tuners Taylor used before switching to the current ones were also made by Ping.

I have a set of those on my 99 710, and I like them better than the new "Taylor" tuners on my 614ce.  They are older, but they are still smoother and have a better feel to them.  They aren't as nice as Gotohs, but I am still pretty impressed with them.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 12:19:49 AM »
I've got Schaller M6's on my 2000 GSLJ.
I don't know what other series' they've been on, but they were stock on mine.

-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

forhim

• With All Our Might
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:34:19 AM »
Never had good experiences with Taylor tuners...I've always replaced with Gotoh 510s and have never regretted it.  I wish the stock tuners were of much higher quality.

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
I'm the opposite -- Never had a bad experience with them.  The Taylor machines always seemed to work and stay in tune just fine.  That being said, I love the smoothness and the 1:21 ratio of the Gotoh 510's and have them on 5 Taylors in the collection.  I want to put them on the K65, but am having a hard time justifying the high cost of a double set when the Taylors are working fine.

In contrast, I have Schaller Imperials on a Hamer Newport custom and, to be honest, I am really underwhelmed by them.  A lot of play/slop in the tuners' action and low ratio make them a prime target for replacement if it weren't for the fact that I want to keep the guitar 100% original (It is the actual guitar used in Hamer's final print catalog issued in 2007 before being purchased by Fender a year or so later).  Besides, other than the tuners, the Newport is an absolute killer instrument!
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 07:38:23 PM »

In contrast, I have Schaller Imperials on a Hamer Newport custom and, to be honest, I am really underwhelmed by them.  A lot of play/slop in the tuners' action and low ratio make them a prime target for replacement if it weren't for the fact that I want to keep the guitar 100% original (It is the actual guitar used in Hamer's final print catalog issued in 2007 before being purchased by Fender a year or so later).  Besides, other than the tuners, the Newport is an absolute killer instrument!

Pics?  I'd love to see it.

I've always had good luck with Taylor tuners.  I actually replaced aftermarket Grovers on my GC6 with the original Taylors.  Much less play in the tuning now.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

mcookoc

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »
what is the exact reason people change tuners on their guitars. i never seemed to understand the reason, other than the pat answer that gotoh 510 are better. how so? also how do you pronounce go 2 or go toe?

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 12:37:25 PM »
what is the exact reason people change tuners on their guitars. i never seemed to understand the reason, other than the pat answer that gotoh 510 are better. how so? also how do you pronounce go 2 or go toe?
for many, i would venture to say tuning stability, smoothness in operation & aesthetics -
if the tuners on your guitars hold tune & operate well, then they are functioning as designed

the 900 series have had Gotoh ( go toe) 510s standard, since 07,
so i would see if a guitar shop in your area has one to check out ...
give one of the tuners a turn & see if you like em :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/