Author Topic: more questions on the 8 string baritone  (Read 2342 times)

darylcrisp

more questions on the 8 string baritone
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what are your thoughts of it after having owned it?
have you owned any other baritone-if so, what kind and please offer a compare.

i assume its a simple removal of the two octave strings if you just want to play it as a 6 string-have you tried that? thoughts?

has the tone met your expectations?

thanks
d
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:15:50 PM by darylcrisp »

rolleiguy54

Re: the 8 string baritone-do you own one? thoughts on it please
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
I have owned an 8 string for over a year. I use it primarily in a church setting. It allows me to play in lower keys to accomidate our singers vocal ranges.

I think playing it with 6 strings would work fine but I have not tryed it. I have played a 6 string that was strung with standard medium strings and

tunned to d. It was very nice.

darylcrisp

Re: more questions on the 8 string baritone
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »
thanks for the replies so far. i am totally new to this baritone concept. so i have a few questions.

the tuning as described in the taylor info states BEADF#B. so with a baritone does one change the tuning to CGCEGC if a particular piece calls for that? or does one need to keep the baritone in that B tuning and learn new ways to capo?

the scale length. Okay, so in comparison to a standard GS guitar-the body dimensions are all the same via the taylor website(both the standard GS and baritone show a total length as 41"). to acquire that 27" scale length, i suppose the bridge placement is moved deeper into the lower bout region pulling the neck with it-so one ends up with the same overall guitar length as a regular GS, but the frets are wider apart and the soundhole/bridge are maybe located deeper in the lower bout?

the string tension: does that heavy set feel about like a standard medium set with fretting? since its tuned down so low?

thanks
d

rolleiguy54

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:49:04 PM »
It is not as hard as it seems. You can change the key with a capo, just like your other guitars. Capped at the fifth fret is standard tuning.
Or you can play different chord shapes. For example for e you play an a shape,f#playb,g play c shape,
A played,b play e, c payf, d play g.
I go through the music and mark it up.
It's an easy playing guitar with no issues fretting.  It's a tone monster plugged in.

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »
Well, it is a 19 fret guitar with 14 to the body and the same overall length so it should not be any different than the 25.5" but the couple of times I have played them they have felt like more of a reach. Not sure why.

It feels that way because it is longer -- 27" scale on the baritone v. 25.5" scale on the standard tuned model...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato