Author Topic: Two thoughts about this forum  (Read 11392 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Two thoughts about this forum
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »
1.  I can understand why Taylor is happy to let this forum exist:  first, because it's so new and membership will be relatively small, they probably don't regard it as a threat; and second, they will be able to promote their own site here, which they likely wouldn't have done on AGF.

2.  Josh, I already received a PM on AGF from another member who started a forum that has subgroups for the major guitar brands, including Taylor.  So far, his site hasn't gotten any traffic, but you never know.  That means that instead of having one site for discussing all things Taylor, we are about to have three.  It would behoove you to think of ways to make this site very different from the other two -- more than just Taylor enthusiasts talking about Taylor guitars.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Two thoughts about this forum
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »
1.  I can understand why Taylor is happy to let this forum exist:  first, because it's so new and membership will be relatively small, they probably don't regard it as a threat; and second, they will be able to promote their own site here, which they likely wouldn't have done on AGF.

2.  Josh, I already received a PM on AGF from another member who started a forum that has subgroups for the major guitar brands, including Taylor.  So far, his site hasn't gotten any traffic, but you never know.  That means that instead of having one site for discussing all things Taylor, we are about to have three.  It would behoove you to think of ways to make this site very different from the other two -- more than just Taylor enthusiasts talking about Taylor guitars.

Hi DennisG,

I really appreciate the thoughts!  It's definitely AN HONOR to have Official Taylor Guitar employees join our humble little community!

In regards to your 2nd thought...I've thought about having more sub-forums for other brands...but then I could see it becoming like the other forum boards?  What Do you members think?

I also know that "Martin Guitars" also have an "unofficial" forum, that is HUGE...and to my knowledge it's just for Martin guitars.  I would kind of like to see this forum be the Martin equivalent...to the point where we alongside the Official Taylor forum would be the authority on all things Taylor...

What do you all think???
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
Depending on how Josh intends to proceed, i think he can make
'his living room' very special & unique ... he's off to a great start, imho :)

I'm humbled by your comments.  Thanks so much for the encouragement!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:28:41 PM by jjrpilot-admin »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »
Depending on how Josh intends to proceed, i think he can make
'his living room' very special & unique ... he's off to a great start, imho :)

I'm humbled by your comments.  Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Michaelw.....I'm an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!  I didn't mean to edit YOUR comments...I thought i was quoting your comments!!!

PLEASE FORGIVE ME!  That wasn't my intention!!!!

Man...I've got to watch my fingers...and what I click on....  :'(

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:39:25 PM »
no problemo, whatsover-o

it's your place, you can 'rearrange the furniture' however you like :D

i love the decor, esp the color ...
very comfortable (really, this place is GREAT !)

i sent ya a PM -
forgot to send a copy to my 'outbox'

please let me know if you got it

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »
My thoughts; The whole purpose of Josh starting this forum was to allow those who desired a "Taylor-specific" forum a place to come. By doing so, he has offered folks something unique that will no longer be available in the near future at the other forum. If he makes it a forum for all guitar models (although with individual sub-groups), it will be competing directly with already established, larger forums that already offer this service (and would probably, IMHO, be a tough go). By concentrating on the "Taylor-specifc" niche, Josh is offering something many of us cherished at the other site and currently can't find anywhere else.
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

Kingby

• Newfoundland, Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:57:30 PM »
My thoughts; The whole purpose of Josh starting this forum was to allow those who desired a "Taylor-specific" forum a place to come. By doing so, he has offered folks something unique that will no longer be available in the near future at the other forum. If he makes it a forum for all guitar models (although with individual sub-groups), it will be competing directly with already established, larger forums that already offer this service (and would probably, IMHO, be a tough go). By concentrating on the "Taylor-specifc" niche, Josh is offering something many of us cherished at the other site and currently can't find anywhere else.

I agree with this.
2011 Fall LTD - Cocobolo GS
Yamaha FG430A
Gibson Les Paul Standard - LightBurst

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 01:00:48 PM »
I would like to see this stay Taylor specific, that's what drove me away from the other forum, if I want info about Martin's I'll go over to the appropriate forum.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »

Again, just making a Taylor-specific forum puts it into direct competition with two other forums, so he's not offering something unique and he's not offering something that will no longer be available in the near future.  This isn't a criticism of Josh.  I'm thrilled he started this forum.  But I want it to be vibrant and durable.  Just making it Taylor-specific isn't enough.
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 01:04:13 PM »
+1 on the posts about keeping it Taylor-only.
I think keep this Taylorcentric, and whenever we end up with subforums keep them Taylor as well. 
At some point I'd like to see FAQ/ForumQuestions, Acoustics/AE, Electrics Only, Buy/Sell/Trade, and a Lounge area for general chitchat that isn't strictly about Taylors or guitar playing. 
I think this place is bound to get a lot of traffic, I'm pumped!

But, there does need to be some 'hook' or something different that will keep this place active, especially once Taylor rolls out their own forum.  Hmmmmm.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »
I think keeping the site geared toward Taylor is a great idea.  The Taylor site will more than likely be less "open" than this forum.  I could see it having stronger guidelines, rule, etc.  I do not know that will happen, just a guess.

Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

DennisG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 01:09:40 PM »
I get the feeling we're speaking two different languages here.  No one has said anything about having this site include forums for other manufacturers.  What I said was that in order to offer something that the other two sites AREN'T offering, we've got to provide more than just people rhapsodizing about their Taylors.  Maybe instructional videos for songs, maybe interesting maintenance videos, I don't know -- there are all kinds of possibilities.  But you can't just provide real estate where people can sit and gab and expect that to be more compelling than what the other two sites are offering.
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »
Not Darth...I love you sig!  Member #34   ;D  ;D  ;D

I was made aware of the other forum just being started...but it, like AGF, had many sub-forums with different guitar brands.  It was never my intention to compete with the AGF...as it is still one of THE BEST places for all things guitars.  I really do respect what JR has created over there.  (This forum was not created by myself out of spite for AGF or JR, but merely to create an alternative since the Taylor sub-forum is going to be deleted/merged.)

As of right now the only two "Taylor" forums (without other name brand sub-forums) are this one and will be the official Taylor forum once their new website rolls out mid-January.

I do think that making this "Taylor" specific lends uniqueness to this forum.  What will make this forum even better is the introduction of Taylor specific sub-forums, which we will add soon. Once again if you visit the "theunofficialmartinguitarforum" it is alive and well!  They have thousands of members, and tons and tons of participation...and all they talk about is Martin Guitar specific.

Once again it is an honor and a privilege to have Brian Swerdfeger @ Taylor Guitars HQ on this forum as a member.  It's my dream to have other official Taylor Guitar employees join us. 

Since Brian's announcement of an official Taylor forum being debuted in mid-January...I thought about the future of this forum.  The more I thought about it and after getting some input from a trusted member here...I truly think that this forum will do amazingly well ALONGSIDE of our great and dear friends at Taylor Guitars.  I truly think that BOTH Taylor forums could easily, easily compliment eachother!!!  Many people in real life belong to multiple forum boards that talk about the same subject!  Being a member of multiple forum boards really expands one's knowledge.

Once the official Taylor Forum goes live, I will join them as well, and hope that you will do the same. 

I know that I sound like a broken record at this point, but once again, I can't explain or convey just how thankful I am for each and every one of you who joined, and who will join.

YOU ALL make this place special.  You are great, and I'm super excited to see this community expand as we move into the future.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sincerely, Josh......er...."jjrpilot"   ;)

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 02:44:41 PM »
IMO, one of the things that will make this forum viable and even preferable by a wider audience amidst other Taylorcentric forums is accessibility.  I know this is a long way off, but making a platform that is easy to use on a mobile device (via an App) would be one step.  I'm no "techie" so I have no idea what is involved in creating such a thing, but that accessibility would give the UTGF a clear advantage going forward.
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

Gary0319

• Sarasota FL USA
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »
I'm going to add my vote to keep this forum Taylor specific, at least to start. That being said, I'm a member of the Larrivee forum and they have an "other brand" subgroup. However, I never go there; I go to AGF instead.

To me, AGF is the Big Box store of acoustic guitar forums. I'd like this one to be "the best little Taylor place" on the planet. 

Gary
Taylor 612c Quilted Maple - 1994
Taylor Custom GC All Mahogany - 2010
Guild GAD30R - 2005
Recording King ROS-06 - 2010
Eastman E10 OM - 2011
Greg Bennett OM-08 - 2009
Yamaha CGX-171SCF Flamenco - old