Author Topic: amps  (Read 13417 times)

cotten

Re: amps
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 01:03:48 AM »
...Big Ultrasound fan.  The DS4 is superb...
I really like mine, though I don't have an ES-equipped guitar. Great, natural sound, with the right set of features I need in a 26lb. package, including enough power for small venues. For larger places, I use it as a stage monitor and go out to the house PA.

There are better sounding amps out there, I suppose, but not until you spend over double the money I spent on mine used but in perfect shape.

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

revster

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
thanks for all the replies. I have my churches pa system to use right now, but we have a roland piano amp that has caught my curiousity. someday soon will be a play day

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 02:49:28 AM »
if only one channel was required (just for an acoustic guitar), i'd suggest this
http://www.mackie.com/products/thump/
if cost is a concern (they make a 12" & a 15") & one needs more control than the low,
hi & sweepable mid, i'd consider a pre sonus eq3b or a second hand bbe acoustimax
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Magster24

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 10:23:04 AM »
I rarely need/use my amp as I play mostly out of a PA.  However, for those situations where I'm in a pinch, I managed to pick up a real budget amp, the Behringer ACX-450, for about half the cost new on a local craigslist transaction.

It does...OK...not thrilled by it, but it does it's job.  It has two inputs so I can go guitar and vocal mic for a small venue.  It also has some basic reverb and chorus effects with a footswitch.

For what I paid, I'm happy...but I wouldn't pay full price on this one.
- Aaron

Guitars:
Taylor 614ce ('07)
Taylor 612ce ('10) - my wife's
Taylor BT3 Baby Maple ('07)
Yamaha G-235 (late '70s) Classical
Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele ('11)

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
Rivera Amps has an Taylor ES system optimized input as an option for some of their amps. It makes a very noticeable difference and I recommend trying it if you ever get a chance.
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

AnandGC3

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 06:24:20 AM »
Fishman Loudbox mini!
Pretty much everything you need for home and gigs. Inputs for guitar and mic,aux input for cd or mp3 players,XLR output to connect to a PA system,reverb and chorus.
Link:  http://www.fishman.com/product/loudbox-mini

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »
I have a Crate CA30.  Small, but it works for me just fine.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

forhim

• With All Our Might
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »
Rivera Amps has an Taylor ES system optimized input as an option for some of their amps. It makes a very noticeable difference and I recommend trying it if you ever get a chance.

+1 on the Rivera.  As far as combos go, both the Sedona 55 and the Sedona Lite has balanced inputs.  According to Paul Rivera Jr., they have a great working relationship with Taylor and have placed the balanced input there so that Taylor ES users can get the most out of their ES system.

My 414-LTD ES system has been removed, so I've yet to test this...

Oh and a nod to the Fishman Loudbox line...they are really great too!

Fellrunner

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
I recently changed from a Marshall AS 50 to an AER Alpha plus.  The AER is fantastic - tiny and light compared to the Marshall but just as loud - it also works really well as a stage monitor (it's small size on a crowded stage is really useful).  It has a beautiful crisp, natural sound and is very quiet.  The AER was not cheap but it's in a completely different league to the Marshall - I love it!
2001 Taylor 712ce (with 2016 ES2 retrofit)
2011 Taylor 812ce
2018 Taylor 514ce V class

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »
My primary for the last 6 years or so has been the first generation Bose L1 system with 2x bass modules and the T1 Tonematch.  Makes a Taylor sound like a Taylor, just a *lot* louder.  Last Spring, I picked up a Fishman Loudbox Mini.  Nice little amp for small rooms, and is a whole bunch easier to load in/out than the Bose...  ;)
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

thebigz

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »
I don't own an acoustic amp, but I've gone straight through the PA with good results.

Also, I too have a Fender Super Champ XD and it does really well when on the acoustic setting.  Now if only those things came with 12" speakers!

Bill R

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »
The only times I play plugged in I go through a PA.  I do have an older Trace Acoustic TA30 amp which is OK, but not spectacular.  If I were to get another amp I'd consider the Fishman Loudbox mini due to its good reviews and bang for the buck.
Bill
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO

Drock2k1

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »
I hope I don't get flogged for this but I tried a fishman loudbox through our PA system and wasn't pleased. I bought a K5 and put in in the soundbooth and skipped the loudbox. Wow! The K5 is amazing! Warm, full, lively.

I would love to use one of Taylors new amps this year but until they are no longer paired with guitars as "Builders Reserves" I will have to wait.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:35:15 AM by Drock2k1 »

Jack Gretz

• 570-499-1479
    • Northeast Music Center
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
I use a Genz Benz Shenandoah LT 150.  XLR inputs on two channels, and a parametric EQ on the mids.  Awesome on board effects that actually work. Very easy to use- Very easy to set up.
Jack Gretz
Northeast Music Center Inc
713 Scranton Carbondale Hwy
Dickson City PA 18519
570-909-9216
http://www.nemusiccenter.com
sales@nemusiccenter.com

sthompson

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »
What, no love for Ultrasound here?

Edward

There sure is, Edward.  I have the DS4 as well, and I consider it an
excellent match for the ES, Anthem and iMix, and seems to do well
with magnetic, mic and piezo systems,   If I were shopping today,
I'd go out and buy the exact same amp.
st
R.Taylor & Taylor, Goodall, Bourgeois, and Collings.
If only my skills were as sweet...