Author Topic: Calling all photogs!  (Read 3990 times)

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
Calling all photogs!
« on: December 18, 2011, 06:44:57 PM »
I need to learn how to take pictures.  I was planning on taking pictures and posting them up today, but everytime I take a picture of the back, you see everything in the reflection.  How do I capure the back without the reflections?

I know there are a few hobbyist on here, so help a brother out.

Thanks,
Boone
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

dcarey

Re: Calling all photogs!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:58:07 PM »
Good lighting, no flash (or indirect flash) that's the secret
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:18:15 PM »
If you are using a flash, be sure to take the pic on an angle. If you take it head-on, you will see the reflection. Before taking any pics, be sure to look closely and see what is reflecting on the guitar. The other option is to lay the guitar on your bed. Unless you have a REALLY wild ceiling, it might cut down on what reflects in the guitar. And just in case, be sure you are fully clothed! ;)
Cindy

Iplay2

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »
Good lighting, no flash (or indirect flash) that's the secret

So what you are saying is that I have been doing 2 of the 2 main things wrong.  Good to know.

Terry

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »
Use indirect flash with a diffuser. Bounce the flash off of a wall or the ceiling and take the picture at an angle to the guitar.

Play around with the exposures and don't be afraid to under/over expose. Don't forget the color balance setting. Experiment!
Ditto. Photography is all about lighting. Sometimes it's easier to take pictures outside. If weather permits, go outside either early morning or late afternoon when the natural light is diffused the most.

Not a great picture, but it never hurts to try different angles and looks. With a digital camera the only thing extra pictures cost you is your time. Good luck.
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 05:13:17 PM »
If you're planning on a taking number of pictures it is worth going to the fabric store and buying some heavy black fabric.

When you set up for the photos, hang the black fabric from step ladders or chairs so that the fabric reflects into the guitar surface when seen from the camera.   You can use this technique inside or outside.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 10:43:46 PM »
Schooner and cjd basically said what I was going to; make sure that the area that is reflected in the guitar is a dark wall or sheet and angle the guitar so there are no 'flares' of light. 

For example, if my tripod is set up in the center of a room, to the right of the tripod is a hung sheet (over chairs or ladders) parallel to the focal plane. 
The guitar is directly in front of the camera, about 10 feet, and angled toward the sheet on my right. 
Zoom in (or use 100mm) lens, which is what portrait photographers do.  If you use a short (35-50mm) lens and just get physically close the proportions, edges and vanishing point become progressively fish-eyed the closer you get.  So, back up. 

I try to avoid flash, and use indirect flood lighting that is placed on the floor and bounces off the ceiling and/or wall, and then a small, low wattage spot (think small halogen desk lamp, at a distance of 8-10 feet from subject) to add highlights. 
I'm not at the computer that has my pictures on them, so I can't post an example of the above setup, but trust me, it works. 

Oh, and even with a tripod, I like to set the 2 or 10 second timer, so that I'm not touching the camera at all during exposure.  Even the slightest jiggle can change a sharp picture into an okay picture - it won't necessarily look obviously out of focus, but it won't look as interesting or vivid if there is even the slightest blur. 
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »
Shooting at an angle helps, but for straight-on shooting is a little more challenging. I use either a Gary Fong diffuser or a photographic umbrella (or both) to diffuse the flash. Never point the flash directly at the guitar or you'll get a hotspot. As prevviously pointed out, boucing the flash off the ceiling or a wall works well too, but you have to be mindful of shadows. The best source of light is the sun, so if you can take your guitar outside, then that would be the best option - just watch for reflections.

This picture was taken with a flash bouncing off an umbrella to the left and another flash with the Fong diffuser to the right. All off-camera flash.

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »
Oh, and even with a tripod, I like to set the 2 or 10 second timer, so that I'm not touching the camera at all during exposure.  Even the slightest jiggle can change a sharp picture into an okay picture

If you're shooting with a DSLR, you'll want to lock the mirror before beginning the exposure. If you don't, the simple motion of the mirror cycling could amouont to "the slightest jiggle".

Ordinarily, when I shoot my guitars, I shoot them outside, without a tripod, and in natural light. There's no real need to use a long exposure if your lighting is adequate.
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
This is a shot of my Martin, shot outside with natural light, hand-held:

No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...