Author Topic: Restringing the Taylor way  (Read 4846 times)

mtnman

• Rocky Mountain High
Restringing the Taylor way
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:00:40 AM »
Thought I'd put a link to these here in case other haven't come across them before.

Elixir® Strings Tech Tip: Guitar Cleaning and Maintenance Techniques (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plU27QJBKn8

Elixir® Strings Tech Tip: Guitar Cleaning and Maintenance Techniques (Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPhF2X_bdXg

How to String a Guitar -- Elixir® Strings and Taylor Guitars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEkDR_-D88
* Taylor K20ce (shipping, Merry Xmas to me)
1989 Takamine EF349
1998 Seagull SM12
2010 Cordoba Ukulele 20CM
2011 Takamine EF340SCGN

dkoloff

Re: Restringing the Taylor way
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »
Like the system but have not felt the need for the electric winder......at least not yet. I kind of enjoy the process as is.
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:01:33 AM »
the winder might be kind of nice, especially if the guitar has Gotoh 510 21:1 ratio tuners on it -
the one concern i would have is with satin gold finish (potential marring of the tuner buttons) &
the possibility of damaging the headstock if the winder 'bit' were to 'walk' off of the button :o

with guitars that have an undersaddle pick up (piezo UST), such as Fishman or Taylor's ES-T,
it would probably be best not to remove all the strings at once to ensure the pickup remains
seated underneath the saddle, as shifting of the UST could cause an imbalance in output

also, one may want to verify that is is alright to cut the string end (non-elixirs) before being tuned to pitch -
with some roundcore strings, & others, the windings can 'recoil' (unwind) if the strings are cut prior to tuning

with elixirs & ES, there will be none of the potential or string/pick up issues/concerns listed above
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:14:00 AM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 08:50:04 AM »
I find it curious that they do not anchor the strings by running them first halfway around the post, then underneath the main length of the string, and then pulling the string end back over the main length and tightening so that the remaining string wraps up the post and over the end of the string. This prevents the string from slipping and keeps in better tune/

Also, do you think there is an advantage or disadvantage to wrapping the string either up or down the post?

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »
Hi Jim,

Wrapping up or down the post, as well as how many wraps, will affect the break angle of the string over the nut.  I doubt this amounts to much difference ...it does make a difference to Fender electrics on the G string if there is no string tree.  But on an acoustic, I would simply make sure the wraps are above the string so as to keep the string at its lowest position ...but again doubt it would matter much.

FWIW, I have always done a "wrap 3 and stab through the hole" on every guitar I play ...and I never get any slippage.  Also easier to remove them this way. :)

Edward

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
If the string is trimmed to the correct length, the appearance is better if the winding progresses down the post. If the string length was too long and the winding progressed up the post, one could run out of post before the string was tuned. Bad. The posts have a "waist" machined into them. When properly trimmed, the winding will cinch the string end in the hole and lock it in as the windings stack up and are drawn into the depth of the waist.. The Taylor method allows just enough string to complete this cinching down, without gathering at the bottom of the post and jamming things up with too many windings that have no place to go. It really is elegant on every level.
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
I've used the Taylor method of stringing for years and it does work great, leaving the headstock looking neat and holding the strings tightly.

The only thing I noticed in the Elixir video is that they've changed the length to cut on unwound (B-E) strings.  Their first iteration called for two post lengths rather than just one.  In other words, the distance to cut on the high E string would be to pull it to the G string post.  Still plenty of room on the post to wind.

Another old trick they used to teach was this:  Instead of "imagining" the one post distance on the D and G strings, pull the string up to the post, grab it at the post with the left hand to maintain tension, then retract the string with the right hand to the preceding post - Giving you the one post distance.  Cut the string at your left hand position and wind.  For the B string, position left hand at B string post, pull string back to E post with right hand then, while holding the string with right hand at E post, slide left hand up from the B post to G string post, and cut.  This gives you the two post length I mentioned before.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

dangrunloh

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:43:44 PM »
I find it curious that they do not anchor the strings by running them first halfway around the post, then underneath the main length of the string, and then pulling the string end back over the main length and tightening so that the remaining string wraps up the post and over the end of the string. This prevents the string from slipping and keeps in better tune/

Also, do you think there is an advantage or disadvantage to wrapping the string either up or down the post?

Jim

Both techniques intended to reduce string breaks at the post. There may be fewer string breaks if the string does not pass over the lump produced when the coils lay over the end of the string.  Wrapping down prevents any kink that can form when the string passes over the edge of the tuning hole.  The method does not lead to slipping or tuning problems.  Some folks simply wind a bunch of turns on the post from the bottom up and then stick the string in the hole.  Very little cranking needed when tuning up and very fast but might take some practice to do it neatly.  Main thing is get the string away from the hole edge and no lumps.

Roseadi

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 07:04:08 AM »
Gutch wrote:

Instead of "imagining" the one post distance on the D and G strings, pull the string up to the post, grab it at the post with the left hand to maintain tension, then retract the string with the right hand to the preceding post - Giving you the one post distance.

That's the way I do it.

Been using the Taylor method for years and find it the easiest and most reliable method. I've had to modify it when using round core strings as they need to be brought to tension prior to cutting to length or they could unravel slightly causing dead sounding strings, or cause tuning problems.

With round cores, instead of cutting the string at the next post, I bend it at a 90 degree angle where the cut would be. I then  string it through the post hole with the bend flush against the backside of the hole, and then wind. Once brought up to pitch, I cut the string close to the post. Never had a problem with this method for round core strings.
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen