Author Topic: String gauge discussion  (Read 13902 times)

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
Re: String gauge discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »

If your Taylors with medium gauge strings are too hard to play, it may well be a setup issue. Because the amplitude of a medium-gauge string's vibration is lower than that of a lighter gauge string, mediums can be set closer to the frets before the onset of buzzing.

I had an LKSM-6, a jumbo guitar that comes with medium gauge strings, that was more difficult to play than my grand auditorium guitars so I took it to a well-known guitar technician to have it set up for lights. He talked me out of it and asked me to allow him to improve the action for mediums. My LKSM-6 was set up to factory specifications but by filing the frets to tighter tolerances, he was able to lower the action significantly and I was very happy with the result. I subsequently found it easier to play than many light-gauge-strung guitars I've played in stores but I still had the meatier tone of medium gauge strings.

Stringing a grand symphony with light gauge strings will result in a thinner tone and less volume but possibly slightly more sustain.
Some people like the result, some don't.

ewalling

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »

If your Taylors with medium gauge strings are too hard to play, it may well be a setup issue. Because the amplitude of a medium-gauge string's vibration is lower than that of a lighter gauge string, mediums can be set closer to the frets before the onset of buzzing.

Speaking personally, this was not the case with me and the Larrivee SD-50 I used to have. It came, out of the box, with one of the lowest actions I've ever seen/played on an acoustic guitar, and yet after 20 minutres of playing, my fingers definitely felt as though they were being put through the paces in a way that they weren't with higher action guitars stringed with lights. There was definitely greater finger strain for me despite the low action. Could just be me, but there it is. Another thing, and this relates to the fingerstylists among us, is that picking with fingerpad + nail, as I do, really wore away my nails in double-quick time with that Larrivee. Had I kept the guitar, the only solution would have been to use fingerpicks.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 12:32:03 PM »

Had I kept the guitar, the only solution would have been to use fingerpicks.

Or acrylic nails, which is what I use.  Even my Martin baritone with its heavy-gauge strings doesn't wear them down.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »

Speaking personally, this was not the case with me and the Larrivee SD-50 I used to have. It came, out of the box, with one of the lowest actions I've ever seen/played on an acoustic guitar, and yet after 20 minutres of playing, my fingers definitely felt as though they were being put through the paces in a way that they weren't with higher action guitars stringed with lights. There was definitely greater finger strain for me despite the low action. Could just be me, but there it is. Another thing, and this relates to the fingerstylists among us, is that picking with fingerpad + nail, as I do, really wore away my nails in double-quick time with that Larrivee. Had I kept the guitar, the only solution would have been to use fingerpicks.

I neglected to point out that I play without picks and that my fingernails are cut short so I depend heavily on the flesh of my fingertips. I started out on nylon string guitars and my technique has both classical and finger-style elements which might be another way of saying it ain't pretty.

Perhaps the difference in out experiences is attributable to different neck designs, if it isn't just a matter of personal preference and individual technique.

Regrettably, I had to sell the LKSM-6 but this is what the buyer had to say about it quite some time after he bought the guitar (the quote is from an AGF thread):

Quote from: modeltee;2098250
...It was also about this time I purchased a LKSM-6 from a member of this forum. All my guitars have lights or extra light strings and when I spoke to the seller about the guitar, he told me it was set up by a professional and it had medium strings on it. Mediums? Not good, I thought. I don't know who set this guitar up but barre chords quickly became the chord of choice for me. The set up made all the difference in the world for me. Maybe Herb can chime in and tell you about the set up. He is the gentleman I purchase it from. Others who have played this guitar comment on how "easy" it is to play. Stick with it. Learn those barre chords. You will be glad you did.

ewalling

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 06:30:19 PM »
Perhaps the difference in out experiences is attributable to different neck designs, if it isn't just a matter of personal preference and individual technique.

Yes, many people do say that with the right set up mediums are fine, so the answer does probably lie somewhere between neck types, playing style, individual finger strength, and personal preference.

mpholt

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »
Update: Disregard my original comments and check a few posts below... they actually were mediums he put on.

Just got back 416 back from the guitar tech. He by accident set it up for lights and put 80/20 lights on.  Extremely easy to play, but just does sound that good. Primarily in the fact that it lacks the base (and volume, but I actually prefer it to not be too loud).

Need to go back and get it set up with Medium's on it.

On a side note, going on vacation tomorrow to the Outer banks, NC (about 4 hour drive). Would it be recommended not to bring the guitar with me in the car for that long of drive. High of 84 tomorrow which is pretty cool for recently, but high of 91 on Saturday (and could get higher knowing NC). Would that be bad to keep an all-wood guitar in the car w/ me for that length of time (not kept int he trunk, but nonetheless).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:46:20 PM by mpholt »

Giraku

• I play exclusively fingerstyle.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »
On a side note, going on vacation tomorrow to the Outer banks, NC (about 4 hour drive). Would it be recommended not to bring the guitar with me in the car for that long of drive. High of 84 tomorrow which is pretty cool for recently, but high of 91 on Saturday (and could get higher knowing NC). Would that be bad to keep an all-wood guitar in the car w/ me for that length of time (not kept int he trunk, but nonetheless).

As far as the guitar is ALWAYS with you, it would be ok. I mean always, even when you take a rest room stop...
In a car, when AC is off, the temperature can go up very quickly, which may damage your guitar.
‘18 Taylor K14ce Builder’s Edition (Koa / Torrefied Sitka Spruce)
'16 Taylor 514ce LTD (Granadillo / Cedar)
'16 Taylor K22e LTD (All Koa)
'15 Martin D41 Purple Martin #29 of 50 (Cocobolo / Adirondack Spruce)
Sound Clips are here.

mpholt

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
So update on my previous post. What I thought was light strings that were put on my guitar were actually Medium strings. The playability was just so much better (and the base wasn't as strong as I was used to) that I thought it was light strings.

I took it back to the luthier and apparently the truss rodd had adjusted some since he set it up a few days ago, accounting for the lack of bass. It sounds great now and is much more playable (maybe not as when I first got it back from him, since the strings were so close to the fret board, but nonetheless, a good bit better than originally).

So yea, prior to putting light strings on a GS, I'd definitely agree with the other poster's that suggest a good setup with Medium's first. Their was a suprising jump in playability.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:47:58 PM by mpholt »