Author Topic: I want to learn fingerstyle  (Read 5089 times)

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
I want to learn fingerstyle
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:39:27 PM »
I have been playing since I was about 10. For having played that many years, I feel like I should be much better than I am. I'm good with chords and strumming. I can play some leadwork, and a little bit of finerstyle (like Blackbird, Stairway to Heaven, and even Never Going Back, for example). I have been watching ToneDr on YouTube and learning some Christmas music and I am getting the hang of fingerstyle playing to some extent (he's a terrific example to follow), but I really want to grow musically and I feel lke fingerstyle playing is my next frontier and challenge. I also want to get better at playing chords higher on the neck (not bar chords). I've even let the nails on my right hand grow a bit. Is there any advice, or are there any tips that you can give me that would help me along? Is there DVD for lessons that would be good? Or do you just think I should take some lessons? I kind of prefer learning at home and can read music (I need to brush up on it, however). I sit around playing scales to get my fingers used to moving on the fretboard, but it seems that with many songs there are some pretty decent and unusual streches to get used to.

Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas!
Jim
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:11:57 PM by michaelw »
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
Re: I want to learn fingerstyle
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:14:15 AM »
I can't give you advice, but, like you, I could really use some lessons for fingerstyle...mine's pretty bad.  Since I'm retiring at the end of the month I'm seriously thinking of taking lessons again (for the first time since 1965), primarily for fingerstyle.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:34:30 AM »
I've had very good success using a site called TotallyGuitars.com.  For me, it's the best lesson site on the internet, with the most songs and the best instruction.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
For books, there aren't any better than Mark Hanson's The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking and The Art of Solo Fingerpicking.  Check out his website (www.accentonmusic.com) for a wealth of printed resources.  For online tutorials, Dan Holloway's site is the best, IMO (www.dancholloway.com).  It's not free, but it has amazing hi-quality videos and printable tab that exceeds anything else I've found on free sites.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:27:23 PM by UTGF-Team »
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »
Fingerstyle is my main interest too, in fact, I haven't used a pick in a few months, except at stores when trying all tonal qualities of guitars.  But at home, never use 'em. 

I have found YouTube instructional covers quite helpful, when I search for them I usually enter a song name and include 'fingerstyle' in the query. 
Check out the ones about Deep River Blues, Freight Train, Blackbird and lots of Christmas songs.

Right now I'm working on a MelBay book by Dix Bruce, "Christmas Favorites for Solo Guitar".
It has a bunch of easy/intermediate classics, and also has a CD with two versions of each song, slow and up to speed. 

I'm just a newb myself, so that is the limit of my advice.  It's tough, but sure is a fun process, and as long as you go slow you'll make progress!
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:43:24 PM »
Hi Jim,

Man your experience sounds lots like mine: been playing long time, but my "fingerstyle" (lol ...if one can call it that :) ) consists really of playing bare fingers and working out the melody and bass lines together best I can so it still sounds like the song.  Break up the song to its most basic bass notes and most basic melody, and find the chords and/or transitional notes to make it flow (if that makes any sense).  And practicing even basic fingerstyle (like thumb, 1,2,3,2,1 ...Zepp's "Baby I'm gonna leave you is a good one here) can get you feeling more proficient.  BTW, Blackbird is a great tune for us who like to "fingerstyle-light" ...don't discount it, man, great tune and one of my faves!  :)

Practice the above finger pattern, and variations thereof, with any basic chord progression to get motivated/inspired you to try and "fill" a brief melody line in here and there.  Playing around this way, I've found there are fewer "rules" to fingerstyle than what one thinks there really are (at least that's what my hack sensibilities say ;) ). 

FWIW, I've played around with some easier classical tunes: Pachelbel's Canon, Fur Elise, and Ode to Joy are easy (sounds impressive to the non-player, but to a real guitarist it's childsplay :) ).  These may be good ones to goof around with.   

As for playing up the neck, try playing only the high 3 or 4 strings of bar chords, and some add-ons and inversions, and you can really add a new flavor to a basic 1,4,5 progression.  Sounds very cool, try it on anything.  Funny point: I was showing some kids (you know, "cool" high-schoolers :D ) this on LaBamba and it blew their mind how "cool" the C,F,G sounds in different spots up the neck.  That actually made me feel like a real guitarist for a moment. :D
Hope that gives you something to think about.  And great thread, btw!!

Edward
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:51:05 PM by Edward »

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all of the great advice and tips. What I want to play is stuff like Jame Taylor, Jim Croce, CSN, etc. I have figured out(long ago) how to fingerpick a bunch of songs already (Dust in the Wind, and some of the other's I mentioned), but I think I may have developed some habits that need to be corrected. I find my biggest problem is coordinating my thumb to play the base line - but I am learning. Fingerstyle for some Christmas music has been a pretty good motivator. I am going to buy some books by Mark Hanson, plus another that I found called Guitar Aerobics in anticipation that the excercises will help get the strecthing and coordination going. I have also been watching some video's on Youtube that seem to help. A few are: Marty Schwartz, Expert Village (Jeff Isbell), Justin Sandercoe. I even watched some Tommy Emmanuel lessons, but that is waaaayyyy out of my league. Great to watch though. Lesson #4 Borsalino is very entertaining! Right now I'm working on Oh Come All Ye Faithful and Freightrain (how's that for variety!).

Thanks again! I have my work cut out for me!

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »
Hi Jim, I have the Guitar Aerobics and it is a very good book.  There is one exercise for each day but I have not been faithful in keeping up with each day and each week's exercises.....at the rate I'm going it will last me the rest of my life.  ::)

I do reference it frequently and found that it really improves my technique.  I recorded the CDs onto my iPod Nano and listen to that and it really helps.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 03:21:00 AM »
Hey Jim,

Thanks for those specific youtube recommendations.  Gotta check those out myself!  And as for Tommy, man that's the stuff of dreams for me, too!   Pipe up if you see anything else that's good ...for this hack, that is :)

Edward

MRMTAYGA

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »
I've had very good success using a site called TotallyGuitars.com.  For me, it's the best lesson site on the internet, with the most songs and the best instruction.

I couldn't agree with you more Dennis. I couldn't fingerpick a lick a year ago and now at least I can muddle through some songs. TotallyGuitars has certainly helped me progress much faster than I originally thought I could having been just a strummer mostly beforehand.

2012 Taylor BTO 12 Fret Cocobolo/Sinker
2009 Taylor 714 Spring LTD Madagascar/Sitka
2008 Taylor DN8

andyi5

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »
A good place to start is always with something very specific. For instance you mention James Taylor, CSNY etc - if you search something like"fire and rain guitar lesson", you can often find several different covers and explanations on youtube of varying quality. You may be able to learn a song straight off that way, but you may also find a taster of a teacher you really like who you can go further with. Among others, TotallyGuitars (mentioned here) often crops up, and this guy gives tasters to many many tunes, all of which seem to be very precise.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 11:58:56 PM »
Tonight I was messing around with alternate tunings, as I've mentioned before I keep a Norma in open-D.
Well, this evening I slid the Taylor down a half-step across the board and learned how to play Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd. 
Pretty easy repeating progression of arpeggiated C, G and Am chords - great fingerstyle introduction. 
Sounded awesome dropped a bit, and I think I could even tell there was less tension on the strings as I stopped each note with my left hand.
Fun!
:D
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.