Author Topic: And... back to Elixir we go.  (Read 971 times)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
And... back to Elixir we go.
« on: June 23, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
Tried putting on a set of D'Addario phosphor bronze on my 210 a couple weeks ago. I had a couple sets that I bought a while back. I used to play these exclusively the first 4-5 years I played guitar. Thought I'd give them a go on my Taylor since I've always kept Elixirs on it.

I can't say if there was a huge difference in tone, but I did instantly miss the slightly faster and quieter play and slightly softer touch of the Elixirs. So I had to put a set back on today. I thought about just toughing it out until the strings kinda wore down a bit -- there's something nice about an almost-dead set of uncoated strings -- but maybe not on a Taylor, whereas a warmer guitar like a Gibson or Martin might sound better with some old D'Addarios on it.

I know there are folks who refuse to play Elixirs and stores that won't carry them (my local shop in high school/college wouldn't stock "those slippery things"), but I'm a fan and I think they play very nicely with Taylors. If you've never tried them, I think phosphor bronze nanowebs do a great job of adding a little bit of warmth to the Taylor brightness.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

ewalling

Re: And... back to Elixir we go.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:02:17 PM »
The only guitars I've ever liked coated strings on were a Larrivee L05 with Elixir Nanoweb PB lights and a Gibson CJ-165 with EXP 80/20 custom lights. On every Martin and Taylor I've owned, and on other Larrivees and Gibsons, coated strings have always seemed to turn my guitar into a pale shadow of itself.