Author Topic: Is there a way to trace first ownership of your guitar?  (Read 13743 times)

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
Re: Is there a way to trace first ownership of your guitar?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »
Ludwig, I am really happy to hear this has resolved for you (at least the receipt part). Having the receipt will get you where you need to go.

Not sure how far you are from the repair facility but I sure hope the rest of this saga goes smoother all the way around.

And I fully expect you will give us a sample of your new song here on UTGF before it goes viral!

... dennis
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

ewalling

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
Ludwig, I am really happy to hear this has resolved for you (at least the receipt part). Having the receipt will get you where you need to go.

Yes! Getting the receipt is a big deal.

Now you can put aside all the worries and enjoy that amazing guitar!       :)

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »
Dennis,

There doesn't appear to be a way to find out first ownership, I would say mainly because of the lack of an electronic helpdesk.
At the service centre I was told that they could check that but when the girl game back on the phone I was asked where I bought the guitar followed by the notice that with the receipt I could make an appointment there.
No answer from her on the first ownership though, other then when I bought it at Kees Dees I would be considered elegible for proper warranty.
I still feel having only a phonenumber to get in touch is a bit outdated in these modern times, e-mail through a membership at Taylors is so much more convenient and is considered proof of a deal too. Lots of things can go wrong as I read in this forum and e-mail is an easy way to get things sorted quickly.
Cigarfan, I'm app. 20 to 25 Km from the service centre, my brother works on Schiphol airfield and he might be willing to bring and take it there.

Von Beerhofen
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:14:35 PM by Von Beerhofen »

egkor

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »
Dennis,

There doesn't appear to be a way to find out first ownership, I would say mainly because of the lack of an electronic helpdesk.
At the service centre I was told that they could check that but when the girl game back on the phone I was asked where I bought the guitar followed by the notice that with the receipt I could make an appointment there.
No answer from her on the first ownership though, other then when I bought it at Kees Dees I would be considered elegible for proper warranty.
I don't think they would provide info about whoever originally registered the guitar.

For warranty purposes *you* are original owner!  :)

-Gary K
Taylor- 614ce (2012), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »
Ludwig, if you would send me a PM (to keep the info private please) with the following info, I will see if I can find out about ownership for you. Please be sure to PM me your email address because I've done this for a couple of other people who are outside the US, and Taylor wouldn't give out any info to anyone other than the owner. I already know they will request your email so they can get in touch with you directly. I also won't keep your info or share it with anyone else. Let's see if this can be resolved completely. :)

--Your Name
--Your Email address
--serial number and model of the guitar
--store name where you bought it from

Taylor will be closing within 2 hours from now so if I don't have the info by then, I can get in touch with them on Monday.
Cindy

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
Nice one Cindy, P.M. send and thx a lot.

Von Beerhofen

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
PM responded to...since this is Ludwig's story, everyone will have to stay tuned to find out the status of the guitar's ownership.
Cindy

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »
PM responded to...since this is Ludwig's story, everyone will have to stay tuned to find out the status of the guitar's ownership.

Hurray, it's all mine, and mine only.
Cindy, I did register the guitar, twice actually as I forgot to enter the type and serialnr. at first. I then browsed back after submitting the form and filled in the missing details and submitted it again.
However this machine runs WinME and doesn't work very well on the web anymore. I'll re-submit ownership for the guitar again from another computer to make sure all details will be properly submitted. The supplier is in the official dealers list, this was also confirmed by Service Centre Amsterdam.
Thx a lot for the information Cindy, makes me feel a lot better and I can really start playing it now, no holding back anymore as this one isn't going back to the shop.
It's a bit like the BTO disappointment, I could perhaps have traded this one for the Sitka topped version and step into the same pit, but it's this one which really cried out to me 'I'm yours, if you really want me'. I investigated all dealers all over the world, compared pictures, listened to youtube and a few hundred taylors, made up my mind and robbed my own bankaccount (details unavailable). I don't want to do it all over again, I want to play this guitar and get back into things, so here we go.
Thx a lot all and Cindy in particular, your'e all kehwl dudes, oooooops, sorry Cindy!
Hope I can help someone someday in a simmilar way.

Von Beerhofen
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:28:12 PM by Von Beerhofen »

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »
I'm glad to be able to help and thrilled this is the one for you! :)

During my discussion with a Taylor rep, there is some general info I think should be shared. Here in the US, each guitar that is shipped within this country has its serial number recorded along with the dealer where it will be shipped. Taylor US has the list of dealers in the United States so a guitar can be verified whether or not it was sold at a legitimate dealer.

However, the guitars that get shipped to the UK only have the serial numbers recorded as going to the UK...not to any specific dealer. Once the guitars arrive at the Taylor UK office, their serial numbers there are recorded and matched up with the name of the dealer where they will be shipped. The Taylor UK office has their own list of authorized Taylor dealers matched with their own serial numbers.

Fortunately this rep could tell that the guitar had not yet been registered, and since Ludwig confirmed his dealer is legit, his guitar shouldn't have any problems getting warranty service should it ever need it. :)

Cindy

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 09:29:21 PM »
Thx Cindy,

I understand now how this works and I believe that's what the girl at Cervice Centre Amsterdam also tried to say. They ship em to each shop after arrival from the US and keep track of the serialnumbers delivered to each dealer in Europe.
It's not clear to me if the one's for the European continent go through the UK first but I may still call em here, I have to anyway to have this minor flaw fixed. I may learn a bit more when I'm there, if so I'll report back.

Cheers,

Von Beerhofen

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 08:27:22 AM »
Yipeeeeee!

One down, one to go. Let us know how the repair goes.

Play on!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

WillaMuse

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
When you buy a guitar brand new, the most important document seems to be the receipt from the dealer, not the warranty card or registration. I would think that Taylor could not challenge your warranty if you could produce a copy of your receipt, including your payment details, which proved that you were the original owner.

What is on a receipt that proves he's the original owner?

This is SO very true.  I would like to further suggest to all that it's a very good idea to scan your receipt and any other paper work that goes along with your guitars.  It seems to me that the print out ink that is used on the purchase receipts we get at stores the days usually fades quite quickly and becomes unreadable.  I scan everything now and just stick everything in a folder on my computer.  And whatever you do don't forget to back up your work!!! :)

;)
Willa
Taylor 916ce
Taylor 816ce
Martin D42
Martin OM42
Martin D20
Adamas 1680, 1687, MEWP 12'r