Author Topic: Is there a way to trace first ownership of your guitar?  (Read 13744 times)

ewalling

Re: Is there a way to trace first ownership of your guitar?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »
When you buy a guitar brand new, the most important document seems to be the receipt from the dealer, not the warranty card or registration. I would think that Taylor could not challenge your warranty if you could produce a copy of your receipt, including your payment details, which proved that you were the original owner.

What is on a receipt that proves he's the original owner?

Don't the price paid, the date, payment details and the dealer's information verify this? I remember buying one guitar once online - a Godin from a dealer called Music Power - which came without the warranty card. I called to tell them about this, and they said that if I ever needed any warranty work doing, all I would ultimately need would be the receipt. On another occasion, I needed work doing on a Martin I'd bought brand new 6 months or so previously from Maury - a 000-42. I hadn't filled out a warranty card or registered online. When the authorized repairman contacted Martin, they, of course, told him that the guitar with my serial number hadn't been registered; however, using the information on the receipt, I was able to complete the warranty registration online and the repair work went ahead.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:23:39 PM by ewalling »

knutmo

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »
@Von Beerhoven: did you buy it at Kees Dee? I'd always go to the dealer first and only directly to Taylor if you can't work things out with the dealer.
2003 Taylor 214
1962 Framus Riviera Archtop
1995 Hohner p-bass

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 07:49:22 PM »
@Von Beerhoven: did you buy it at Kees Dee? I'd always go to the dealer first and only directly to Taylor if you can't work things out with the dealer.

Hi Knutmo,

Yes, I did. Today's phonecall confirmed that the bill would be send ASAP, but then again that's what I've been told 5 days ago too.
The general return policy in my country is 7 days, this is day 6 and I'm still none the wiser if not someone else claimed first ownership on this guitar.
I do not want to return it because I will never find another, but when I'm not the first owner and with the flaw I mentioned and the possibillaty to have it taken care of properly by Taylor themselves, the guitar simply isn't worth this ammount of money to me. The K26 is an option and readily available here.
A flaw like the one I mentioned would easily deduct about 500 to 1000 $ off it's price, especially if it's been in the hands of others.
I have one more day to decide wether to keep it or go for another.
The Cocobolo is also nice and about 500 less, and Kees also still has the Engelman topped version in his shop.
It kind of puts me in an awkward position, I like this guitar but not if I can't claim first ownership to have the flaw repaired.
This is the final guitar in my life and I can't afford to have an awkward feeling about it for the time I still have left. It'll mean I'll play the guitar with this feeling ever present and eventually may not touch it anymore.
I bought it to get away from these feelings and train my hands inspite of arthritis slowly taking over and dimminishing my skills.
I've spend all I have on this one and it needs to be right, if not then this is where it'll all stop.
I've played an Ibanez Artist 2609 untill now and my feeling is that after 50 years of play I want to go out in style as long as I can still play. This is what I've been saving for all my life, to hear the sound of a guitar like a Martin or a Taylor. I'm hoping that it'll keep me going inspite of arthritis and this is the main reason why it's so important to me.
I've heard the sound and it's awesome, the rest depends on what will happen in the next 24 hours.
Mind you, I've never been in this situation before and I wish I wasn't. It should never have come to this if you know what I mean. It's the wrong start of a relationship for which I paid 5000$.

Von Beerhofen
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:52:23 PM by Von Beerhofen »

ewalling

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 08:49:21 PM »
Today's phonecall confirmed that the bill would be send ASAP, but then again that's what I've been told 5 days ago too.

They could send the bill to you online in an instant.

Good luck with whatever you ever you decide!

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »
Today's phonecall confirmed that the bill would be send ASAP, but then again that's what I've been told 5 days ago too.

They could send the bill to you online in an instant.

Good luck with whatever you ever you decide!

Well that's another worry, they didn't inspite of having my email adress by now.
Thx for the heads up anyway.
Thx for all your responses, if I didn't reply to em it was just because I was too busy investigating my options. Your feedback is truely appreciated and it did help!

Von Beerhofen
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:13:41 PM by Von Beerhofen »

knutmo

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 06:13:13 AM »
Yes, I did. Today's phonecall confirmed that the bill would be send ASAP

Why not phone, or even better go over there and explain exactly what your concerns are. I'm sure Kees Dee will help you out.
2003 Taylor 214
1995 Hohner p-bass

jmg257

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »
So - what did Taylor have to say? 

Not sure why the dealer isn't cooperating more...I understand now that they did NOT issue/send you a receipt with the guitar(?)?  THAT is weird, as you will obviously need that 1st for any claim.  FAX, email, post...how hard could it be to get one to you now?

Well - keep us posted!

knutmo

2003 Taylor 214
1995 Hohner p-bass

jmg257

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 10:06:40 AM »
Wow - that is a beaut!

OP- CALL TAYLOR and make that a keeper! :)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 11:11:42 AM »
No that one is still available and it's cheaper then the list price. The top is Engelman and 300$ more expensive in the list if I'm correct .
Mine is all Koa. Personally I think the all Koa version is nicer but there's definately not many around with sitka top.
Here's a picture of mine:

Von Beerhofen
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:24:22 PM by Von Beerhofen »

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
The problem here is that the shop is about 100Km from my house and I do not have a car. At my age you don't go hiking anymore, especially not with a Taylor guitar + case.
To get the guitar the money had to be transferred first, this is basically proof of ownership of a guitar. But it doesn't proof which guitar, as at the time of purchase no details about serial number were known, only the model type.
I've contacted the service centre in Amsterdam who told me I can make an appointment at a later stage to have the problem fixed.
However I will need the receipt to proof I bought it from Kees Dee.
I've had no reply on an email I send to their gmail account, by phone however I was told that I would get the receipt later this week.
At this point I can't even return the guitar anymore, the 7 days have gone by and I have no papers whatsoever, not even an order confirmation.
BTW, I allready have an indian rosewood, sitka top on my vintage Ibanez and allthough not a Taylor it still sounds great.
I haven't compared Taylors because there's not many shops here who have more then one in this price range. Kees's shop is the only one I know of where you can try multiples.
I don't think the one I have sounds muffled, it's sound is characteristic for sure and well suited for my playing style. I'm more into latin and jazzrock then country western. The guitar can do all but may not really excell in any of these styles, but it's versatile for sure.

Von Beerhofen

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:59:04 AM by Von Beerhofen »

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 12:10:39 PM »
Just had a personal call from Kees Dee that the receipt will be send this evening and may arrive tomorrow.
For those interested here's a wave sample of the guitar's open strings recorded directly into my soundcard through the expression system (no EQ).

http://rabartel.home.xs4all.nl/TaylorSample.wav

Von Beerhofen
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:20:30 PM by Von Beerhofen »

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 07:57:49 AM »
To properly close this thread, this morning I received my receipt with the guitar's serial number and yesterday's date on it.
Attached is what appears to be a cashregister ticket and a stamp on it with the shop's name.
In effect this means that I have another 10 days (not 7) to decide what to do. More research showed that the shop's warranty allready applies when I can proof my purchase with a copy of my bank transfer.
I still haven't received an e-mail from Taylor after registering but the receipt should be enough to have my problem fixed at the Taylor Service Centre in Amsterdam at the shop's expense.
The whole situation resulted in the idea to immortelise it in new songs named 'My 5000$ Baby', 'Where's my effing receipt' and 'Almost lost my hair', so don't keep an eye out for it in your local record shop.
I think the forum may have put some weight on the scales too for which I'm very thankfull.

Von Beerhofen

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »
Von Beer,

I'm glad that your situation is finally wrapping up.  But how does anything you received from the store address your initial question about whether or not you are the first owner of the guitar?  Only Taylor can answer that question.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke