Author Topic: Is there a way to trace first ownership of your guitar?  (Read 13741 times)

Von Beerhofen

Is there a way to trace first ownership of your guitar?
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:59:01 AM »
Hi there,

I'm new and I'm old and I'll introduce myself a little later, but this question is very important for me now at the moment, and I don't really have much time.
I'm the owner of a 2011 Fall Limited Koa, but appearently the guitar has been sold twice before and returned, the emails I got before the buy seem to verify that now.
I wasn't informed about this and bought the guitar in good faith from an official Taylor dealer in my country, paying the full price, it was the last one I could find and I bought it without even trying it out (please don't try this at home unless you're very sure of what you're about to risc).
I didn't get any papers whatsoever upon delivery, except all the Taylor stuff, but was promised it would be send by mail later this week.
After 5 days nothing has arrived yet and now I'm not even sure if I'm the first registered owner of this guitar or not.
I need the warranty promised by Taylor as the guitar does have a minor production flaw. A tiny piece of ebony between the inlay has come away and I'm afraid that more may go if it's not repaired.
Otherwise the guitar is a beauty and so is it's sound, may post some pictures at a later date, that is if all goes well.
Perhaps someone has the means to find out who has registered the guitar before me, if at all, or a link where I can check would do fine too.
There's no reason to believe there's something wrong here, I believe I'm the first to hang on to the guitar though and therefore the true first owner who has the right to get a minor manufacturer flaw fixed at no further expense. After what I paid I simply can't afford more expenses, it's all I have. I also would hate it if what should become my final musical revival in the fall of my life, would turn out to be more of a downfall.

Thx in advance,

Ludwig Von Beerhofen
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:58:40 PM by michaelw »

jmg257

Re: Is there a way to trace first ownership of your guitar?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 12:57:41 PM »
Hmmm...I would contact Taylor, give them the serial number and see what info they have.  They should be able to let you know if anyone else has registered it, and if it is still considered new w/warranty...and if not, why not? (between the dealer and Taylor at that point)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:00:04 PM by jmg257 »

Judson H

• My Youtube music
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »
Just a suggestion ... Couldn't he just go ahead and try to register the guitar himself and see what reaction he gets from Taylor.  If it's not already registered by someone else, then once it's registered in his name, he should be eligible for all warranty rights & privileges.  And if a problem surfaces during the registration process, then he'll know and can react accordingly.

Hmmm...I would contact Taylor, give them the serial number and see what info they have.  They should be able to let you know if anyone else has registered it, and if it is still considered new w/warranty...and if not, why not? (between the dealer and Taylor at that point)
2012 Taylor GA3
2012 Martin D-18
2004 Seagull Artist Mosaic QII
2001 Simon & Patrick Cedar Folk
1967 Silvertone Sovereign 1220 Jumbo (my high school guitar)
Fishman Loudbox Mini and Shure SM58

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
Just a suggestion ... Couldn't he just go ahead and try to register the guitar himself and see what reaction he gets from Taylor.  If it's not already registered by someone else, then once it's registered in his name, he should be eligible for all warranty rights & privileges.  And if a problem surfaces during the registration process, then he'll know and can react accordingly.

The guitar was registered properly but when you do there's no other response then 'Welcome to the taylor family'.
Ofcourse I selected the first ownership option but that doesn't mean I'm truely the 1st owner who registered it.
I doubt if the automatic response from the Taylor website will tell you that you can not register as 1st owner because someone else allready did.
Also I can not contact Taylor by email, I can only phone to the US which is pretty expensive from where I am.

Von Beerhofen

jmg257

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
Just a suggestion ... Couldn't he just go ahead and try to register the guitar himself and see what reaction he gets from Taylor.
Not sure - I don't get much reply at all from Taylor when registering, atleast till Wood & Steel shows up a few weeks later! :)).

If it was me I would want to KNOW for sure.  He bought it from a dealer as new, so SHOULD be good, but...

Edit:

There is a European contact directory which may help:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/dealers/international

Good news - apparently Taylor is offering 12 years on used guitars too!

http://www.taylorguitars.com/legal/warranty-europe
http://www.taylorguitars.com/legal/warranty-europe/EU-warranty-offer-2012

What country?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:40:04 PM by jmg257 »

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:44:49 PM »
I don't know what country you're in, so your specific laws may be different from ours.  In general, when a product is sold and then returned, it is still considered new.  You mentioned that the guitar had been sold and returned twice.  That's different from the guitar being sold twice and then SOLD BACK to the dealer, which would make it a used (not new) item.

Yes, a call to the U.S. is pricy, not to mention the inconvenience of having to negotiate the time difference.  If you're in Europe, you might consider calling the Amsterdam location of Taylor Europe at +31 (0) 20 667 6030.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »
I'm in Holland. Wood and steel probably won't come to my home, being an American issue.
It's reassuring to know the warranty extends to later owners too, however I still would like to know wether I'm the first owner or not.
I think it's a bit of a bummer not being able to contact Taylor by email directly, is 5000$ paid not enough to have an electronic helpdesk, as you can find with practically every known company in the world? I think even our local milkman and baker have one.

Von Beerhofen
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:54:48 PM by Von Beerhofen »

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
Thx I'll give that phonenumber a try, it's not too far from here but too late in the evening to try it now.
Will keep you posted

Von Beerhofen

Judson H

• My Youtube music
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »
Just FYI ... I registered my new Taylor online just last week and received a complete e-mail confirmation of the registration in only a couple of days.  You can register your guitar online through the official Taylor website.

I'm in Holland. Wood and steel probably won't come to my home, being an American issue.
It's reassuring to know the warranty extends to later owners too, however I still would like to know wether I'm the first owner or not.
I think it's a bit of a bummer not being able to contact Taylor by email directly, is 5000$ paid not enough to have an electronic helpdesk, as you can find with practically every known company in the world? I think even our local milkman and baker have one.

Von Beerhofen
2012 Taylor GA3
2012 Martin D-18

Judson H

• My Youtube music
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »
Just FYI ... I registered my new Taylor online just last week and received a complete e-mail confirmation of the registration in only a couple of days.  Here's what I got ... I guess it doesn't really "confirm" that I'm the original owner, but it certainly "implies" this IMHO.

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXX,

Congratulations on becoming a Taylor guitar owner and welcome to the Taylor family!

We have registered your guitar as follows:

Serial Number XXXXXXXXXXXX
My name
My address
My city, state, and zip code
United States

Registered owners who live in the U.S., Canada, Europe and Australia receive a free subscription to Taylor's quarterly print publication, Wood&Steel, which will be mailed to the address you provided.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call us in North America at 1-800-943-6782, or in Europe at +31 (0) 20 667 6030. Toll free numbers for Europe and contact information for other countries can be found at: http://www.taylorguitars.com/dealers/international/

We wish you many years of enjoyment with your guitar, and thank you for choosing Taylor!

Sincerely,
Taylor Guitars

For access to maintenance, repair and other useful information, visit our Owner Resource page: http://www.taylorguitars.com/owners/resources/

For the latest TaylorWare clothing and accessories, visit: http://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/
-------------
This e-mail is being sent automatically as requested when your guitar was registered.

If you require assistance, believe this e-mail is in error, or need to update your information, please call the numbers listed above or visit http://www.taylorguitars.com/contact/.
==========================

Von Beerhofen
2012 Taylor GA3
2012 Martin D-18

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 02:23:38 PM »
Nothing received sofar but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Von Beerhofen

jmg257

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »
Just FYI ... I registered my new Taylor online just last week and received a complete e-mail confirmation of the registration in only a couple of days.  Here's what I got ... I guess it doesn't really "confirm" that I'm the original owner, but it certainly "implies" this IMHO.

That's cool!  I didn't get anything on my 1st, will have to keep an eye out on the 2nd.

I know Martin will send you a warranty card and a letter - like clockwork.

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
Hi, just for your info Taylor's European HQ is in Amsterdam.

I have dealt with them a few times from the UK, they are very helpful.

I would contact them. Their email and telephone number are on the Taylor website.

Eddie

PS Wood and Steel gets to me in the UK. They also do versions in French, Spanish and German now.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:33:18 PM by Saxacat »
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

ewalling

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »
When you buy a guitar brand new, the most important document seems to be the receipt from the dealer, not the warranty card or registration. I would think that Taylor could not challenge your warranty if you could produce a copy of your receipt, including your payment details, which proved that you were the original owner.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
When you buy a guitar brand new, the most important document seems to be the receipt from the dealer, not the warranty card or registration. I would think that Taylor could not challenge your warranty if you could produce a copy of your receipt, including your payment details, which proved that you were the original owner.

What is on a receipt that proves he's the original owner?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke