Author Topic: Gong to Cancun for vacation...  (Read 2761 times)

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
Gong to Cancun for vacation...
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »
Hi. I bought my GS Mini before my recent trip to Germany and had no problems getting it there and back. Next week I am going on vacation to Cancun and am thinking about taking it with me there too. Being that the guitari s made in mexico, do you think I have any reason to be concernd getting it rhough customs?

Thanks, Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Drifter

Re: Gong to Cancun for vacation...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:07 AM »
Hi. I bought my GS Mini before my recent trip to Germany and had no problems getting it there and back. Next week I am going on vacation to Cancun and am thinking about taking it with me there too. Being that the guitari s made in mexico, do you think I have any reason to be concernd getting it rhough customs?

Thanks, Jim
Enjoy your vaca. I'm sure you'll be fine with customs.
I noticed some interesting changes in a beater Guild that I took from Maine in the Winter to Aruba. I played daily in hi humidity and the not so good action and tone improved greatly. The whole guitar morfed not just the neck. I guess that says something about keeping your axes properly humidified.
Of course it went right back to beater status within a day near my wood stove!
Kel
'10 Taylor 614CE
'76 GUILD G75 & 90's beater
Fender F80-12 String Dread
Fender 50th STRAT, Fat Tele, Jazz
PRS Swampash Studio & CU22/12 20th
Rick 381 V69/12
Gibson JA, LP, ES137 Ctm, Vegas
Steinburger Spirit 6
ALL COLLECTING DUST DUE TO THE 614CE!!

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »

Thanks, Jim
Enjoy your vaca. I'm sure you'll be fine with customs.
I noticed some interesting changes in a beater Guild that I took from Maine in the Winter to Aruba. I played daily in hi humidity and the not so good action and tone improved greatly. The whole guitar morfed not just the neck. I guess that says something about keeping your axes properly humidified.
Of course it went right back to beater status within a day near my wood stove!

I rarely hear of anyone describing their Guild as a beater. I've read that Guild now has a guitar restoration service in New Hartford, CT. Perhaps a good excuse to send your guitar in and give it a makeover - it may become your favorite guitar. At teh very least, think about getting a humidifier for it.

And... thanks for the feedback.

Jim

Good luck with your Guild
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

ebick

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »

Thanks, Jim

I don't know if anything has changed, but when I went to Cancun several years ago, the customs inspection worked like this......there was a big traffic light and a button....you pushed the button.....if the light turned green, you kept going.....if the light turned red, they tore through your stuff.
2006 Taylor T5S
2011 Taylor 814ce
2012 Taylor 214ce-n
2011 Taylor GS Mini
2012 Blueridge BR-40
2012 Alvarez ABT60
1982 Alvarez Yairi DY-46
1980 Gibson ES-175
1976 Gibson SG
1992 Yamaha FG-420-12A
2013 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass
2014 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass V
2013 Dean EAB

Glen

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »
I would never travel outside the country with any guitar that I would be afraid to lose. If the mini is not near and dear, take it. If something was to happen and some foriegn national decides he/she like's it more than you and you would be crushed. Keep it home.

There was an article I recently read where our government is looking at proposing legislation to eliminate concerns of famous musicians traveling internationally with legally bought guitars. I know there was some concerns traveling to Canada.  If Canada, is a concern and they are a friendly and mondern country.  I wouldn't feel so cozy traveling with one of my guitars to a third world nation. In fact, I went to Jamaica earlier this year and left my guitars home.

thedak

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:53:41 AM »
I wouldn't take it.

2010 Taylor DMSM

2012 Taylor GS Mini Spring Limited Rosewood

2014 Taylor 150e

Steam

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »
I took my made in Mexixo Martin Backpacker to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 5 years ago and had no trouble with it at customs.  In fact, when the tail of a hurricane swamped the pools and knocked out the resort's power for several hours, I became the unpaid entertainment.  Still a good memory.

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »
We have traveled pretty extensively through Mexico in the past (not so the last couple years), and never had an issue with guitars and Customs.  If you have a concern because the GSmini was made in Mexico, take your receipt along with you.  Customs would only have an interest in it if they thought you were trying to bring in more stuff than you're allotted.

Regarding the Canada issue, it is best to have a list of equipment (instruments, cameras, pretty much any electronic devices that they could have concern that you are trying to re-sell in Canada) in triplicate.  Keep one for yourself, leave one when crossing the border, present the other when coming back to show that you are returning with the same equipment.

Best wishes for a fun vacation,
Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini