Author Topic: Taylor Ukes  (Read 9736 times)

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
Taylor Ukes
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:09:40 PM »
Between the last Wood&Steel, and a few rubmling of other rumors around the web, it seems Taylor might be coming out with a ukelele sooner or later.  Will any of you be putting in a pre-order when/if it's announced?  I know I will.  If you didn't get to read the write up on Andy Powers in the last volume, make sure to check it out.  Pretty interesting stuff.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

DMBfan41

Re: Taylor Ukes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »
Man I really love the sound of a uke but I don't know if I got it in me to add more to my plate in the way of learning.

If I did take the plunge, this is the first thing I want to learn... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZUsZ-PVpk8
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:17:59 PM »
This would be in there as well, though I don't think I could do it justice after IZ performed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_DKWlrA24k&feature=relmfu

Everytime I hear this, it takes me to an ocean side, at least in my mind.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:18:32 PM »
So what is the difference between a uke and a mandolin? Aren't mandolins a little lower in pitch? When I think of ukes, I can't help but to think of Tiny Tim singing Tip-Toe Through the Tulips. ;D

EDIT: Boone you posted your reply about Somewhere Over the Rainbow right before I posted this. I just watched the video...REALLY nice!!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:24:02 PM by Cindy »
Cindy

markallen

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:31:25 PM »
I would jump at a Taylor uke like a jumping flea!

Presently I'm waiting for a custom made "Hornet" Hive Ukulele made by Jake Maclay. Figured Hog with Adirondack spruce and a spalted maple rosette. Jake's about ten months out so I'm hoping to have it in time for next Christmas!! Can't wait!

http://www.hiveukuleles.com/

Cheers,
Mark

Terry

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:45:12 PM »
I would love an affordable Taylor Uke. It would be fun and I know they would do it right.  Every once in a while I see Collings Ukes and they intrigue me, however the price keeps me away. Heck, how far are we from a Taylor mandolin? Now that would be cool.
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

mtnman

• Rocky Mountain High
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 11:54:01 PM »
I'd be up for a preorder on a Taylor uke. My mom, rest her soul, taught me to play a uke when I was five years old.  One day I'll commission a custom in her honor and pass it down along with the last one she owned. But a Taylor would be an easy sell for me...
* Taylor K20ce (shipping, Merry Xmas to me)
1989 Takamine EF349
1998 Seagull SM12
2010 Cordoba Ukulele 20CM
2011 Takamine EF340SCGN

mtnman

• Rocky Mountain High
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 11:57:59 PM »
And my apologies for not acknowledging IZ. It really is must see/listen material for all living beings - no joke. No other way to put it.
* Taylor K20ce (shipping, Merry Xmas to me)
1989 Takamine EF349
1998 Seagull SM12
2010 Cordoba Ukulele 20CM
2011 Takamine EF340SCGN

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:26:39 AM »
page 60, on the back wall on either side of the acoustic bass, there are 2 prototypes
http://www.taylorguitars.com/woodandsteel/issues/ws_winter_2011.pdf

i am guessing that the soprano model may be the most popular & then perhaps the concert & the tenor -
it'll be interesting to the changes Andy & the folks at Taylor decide to make (perhaps a CE model with ES-N)

a couple other tunes played fingerstyle that i think are pretty cool too :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twRFT8Qj4yc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCu86AVpefU
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 02:37:01 AM »
I doubt that I'd pre-order a uke, but I'd take a close look at what they come out with.  I've always been interested in ukes, but right now I'm working on learning to play my late Dad's mandolin and trying to do both might be a bit much.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »
I would like to see what Taylor would have to offer in the way of a uke but like Phil I would not pre-order one.  I enjoy playing mine and have been playing alot of christmas songs lately (of course).  The thing about a uke is it's so fun you don't even really have to know how to play it.

Jake Shimabukuro is coming to town next week and I can't wait to see him, along with Iz he is really one of the masters of the instrument.  If I ever get to Hawaii again I'm sure one of these little instruments will find it's way into my carry-on.

spieler

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »
The thing about a uke is it's so fun you don't even really have to know how to play it.

Just like banjos and tubas!

My daughter has a Denim Flea, and it's a lot of fun. I love how accessible it is, in terms of both playing it (you don't even really have to know how!) and its sturdiness. While we show it the proper respect and care due any viable musical instrument, it's refreshing not feeling any compunction to Over-care about it or worry about how its day is going in various settings. Come to think of it, I feel the same way about my GS Mini. There's something about the smaller size and (very) relative affordability that draws me to it in a different way than my better guitar. Hunh.

~ S.

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
My wife and I went to Hawaii 5 or 6 years ago, and I bought a Pono brand concert Ukulele with a simple piezo UST pickup while we were there.  To be honest, I hung it up in my office and there it was left to gather dust for a few years.  Of course, now I will say that i was just giving it an extended period of climate acclimation...

Anyway, I play a few shows at a local Farmer's Market every Summer and, a couple years ago, I grabbed the uke off the wall to see if there was something I could use it for to add a little pizzazz to the show.  A quick chord chart print off, a crash course in basic fingerings, and the ukulele is now a big part of the summer repertoire!  Really is a lot of fun, chording is easy, and using it as a guitar substitute on some of the better known songs really offers up a fresh approach that the audience loves!

I'm ready for Taylor to jump into the uke game with a couple midrange priced models to check out.  I would definitely grab one if the price is right and the tone is what I'm looking for!  Who knows!  NAMM is right around the corner and perhaps there's something exciting happening there! 
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

outsidenote

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
I would definitely be interested in a Taylor UKE.  That would add to my existing collection of three Ukes.  I would want a tenor though, not a baritone.  As much as I enjoyed the Jason Mraz youtube post by DMBfan, I have to say that Jason's Uke just sounds like a guitar.  To me it has to be a tenor with reentrant tuning at least otherwise it doesn't sound like a Uke.  Some of my Uke buddies are even more extreme and for them it stops at soprano or concert.  When it comes to baritone I would just as soon just play guitar.

What i'd like to see is an all Koa Tenor Uke with a truss rod, patterned after my K22.  Reentrant tuning with high G.  That would be sweet.  I'm sure Taylor could make a wonderful Uke.
Regards,
Tom

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »
I'd love a uke...but man!  They're just as expensive as a good guitar!

Ukes are smaller than guitars therefore the price should be smaller as well...right???   ;)  ;)  ;)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard