Author Topic: Bob Taylor talks ebony in this great new video  (Read 20015 times)

Iplay2

Re: Bob Taylor talks ebony in this great new video
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
Is it not safe to say that if Bob's company, which represents 75% of the Ebony purchase, is going to use the "B" grade wood, then there would be no need to cut down any more trees for the foreseeable future?  If they cut down 10 trees to find 1 grade A, and then leave those 9 grade B ones laying there.....are they not just laying there waiting to be harvested?  Not just in Camaroon, but would there not also be tons laying in the forests of Madagascar?

I was wondering the same thing.  That would be a good "Ask Bob" question for the next Wood and Steel issue.

ebick

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 11:38:17 AM »
Is it not safe to say that if Bob's company, which represents 75% of the Ebony purchase, is going to use the "B" grade wood, then there would be no need to cut down any more trees for the foreseeable future?  If they cut down 10 trees to find 1 grade A, and then leave those 9 grade B ones laying there.....are they not just laying there waiting to be harvested?  Not just in Camaroon, but would there not also be tons laying in the forests of Madagascar?

I was wondering the same thing.  That would be a good "Ask Bob" question for the next Wood and Steel issue.

Great idea....just submitted.
2006 Taylor T5S
2011 Taylor 814ce
2012 Taylor 214ce-n
2011 Taylor GS Mini
2012 Blueridge BR-40
2012 Alvarez ABT60
1982 Alvarez Yairi DY-46
1980 Gibson ES-175
1976 Gibson SG
1992 Yamaha FG-420-12A
2013 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass
2014 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass V
2013 Dean EAB

cotten

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 11:43:41 AM »
I'm not surprised that critics are saying that Taylor's decision didn't go far enough or that it's simply good business to cut waste. True, ebony trees won't grow any faster, and true, it makes good business sense.

I applaud this decision. Cutting waste and making valuable resources last longer is wise, and I hope profitable. And given Taylor's history of innovation, I would not at all be surprised if the company is already on the cutting edge (no pun intended) of finding more sustainable substitutes for either A or B ebony. I would be surprised if such innovations came from most other companies.

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »

How long does it take for an Ebony tree to rot?  Given how hard it is...I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts a long time...
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »

How long does it take for an Ebony tree to rot?  Given how hard it is...I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts a long time...

I think the ants would get to it before rot. And them African ants are HUGE!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

KateIndiana

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 07:40:06 PM »
I recently got a new Taylor 214ce and noticed an "imperfection" of lighter wood on my fret board.  I decided I liked it.  "It gives it character, " I said.  After seeing this video, I decided I don't like it, I love it-- and it gives far more character than I first thought!  Kudos to Bob Taylor for doing the right thing!

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »
I recently got a new Taylor 214ce and noticed an "imperfection" of lighter wood on my fret board.  I decided I liked it.  "It gives it character, " I said.  After seeing this video, I decided I don't like it, I love it-- and it gives far more character than I first thought!  Kudos to Bob Taylor for doing the right thing!

I couldn't agree more...I actually think the striped ebony is more unique/gorgeous than the all "boring" black ebony!   ;D

I just assumed that all ebony came black!  The striping is just stunning!    8)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 08:02:33 AM »
I might just ask for streaked ebony on the headstock overlay, fingerboard and bridge of my next BTO. God's "inlay" work can be pretty exhilarating!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:32 PM »
Whoa! I received my issue of W&S and I couldn't believe the beautiful pieces of marbled ebony that they showed! They are going to make stunning fretboards...yes, I know...beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I happen to LOVE the striping of the ebony! :)

Two thumbs up for Bob Taylor!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:10:27 AM by Cindy »
Cindy

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
It's been said before in different ways, but I'll say it again: tastes change over years.  And at times, there are conditions that force a sea-change, but in time the new may become the norm; time and resources will tell.  Perhaps the "new" ebony will be "the new black"  ...lol!  :)

Is it not funny how we as a market value figured woods, yet devalue striped ebony and prize the solid hue and somehow deem that as "pure"?  The marketplace is a funny thing, indeed :D

Edward

e8n

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
It's been said before in different ways, but I'll say it again: tastes change over years.  And at times, there are conditions that force a sea-change, but in time the new may become the norm; time and resources will tell.  Perhaps the "new" ebony will be "the new black"  ...lol!  :)

Is it not funny how we as a market value figured woods, yet devalue striped ebony and prize the solid hue and somehow deem that as "pure"?  The marketplace is a funny thing, indeed :D

Edward

And sometimes Bob Taylor tells you to change your tastes which is what appears to be happening here.  With enough marketing anything can be turned and made a positive.  Microsoft has been doing this for years with enough advertising.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
Point taken, Dave ...marketing and its dollar backing represents a major influence on perception, to be sure.  But ultimately (and I do mean the final decision), the real say comes from consumers and the value they instill, despite the best/most costly marketing attempts.  I can't help but recall the near-death of the Mac in the early days, despite the media blitz, or Microsoft's failed (early) attempt at de-throning the almighty Playstation.  And no one can contest that Apple or Microsoft were not kingpins in both dollar and marketing influence.  Guess what, the consumer made their choices, and these giants had to rethink their game.

Not saying with certainty at all what will happen to the marketing tastes toward ebony.  Heck, if enough folks think Bob and Co are full of marketing spin and are boondoggling players, you can bet it will backfire.  But I just don't think the market will perceive it as such, nor do we have any evidence at this point in time that there is a backlash a brewin.  I think given the resources, and the general tenor folks have in today's ecology (intentionally avoiding the word "green" ...doh, I said it! ;)  ), I feel Bob's direction will simply help shape what is to come; not by nefarious means, but by necessity and good conscience.  IMHO, anywhoo.  Not a kool-aid drinker of any marque, mind you ...just a observer   :)

Edward
EDIT: I meant "x-box" not playstation ...lol, clearly not much of a gamer, now am I?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:34:33 PM by Edward »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 07:34:41 PM »
Point taken, Dave ...marketing and its dollar backing represents a major influence on perception, to be sure.  But ultimately (and I do mean the final decision), the real say comes from consumers and the value they instill, despite the best/most costly marketing attempts.  I can't help but recall the near-death of the Mac in the early days, despite the media blitz, or Microsoft's failed (early) attempt at de-throning the almighty Playstation.  And no one can contest that Apple or Microsoft were not kingpins in both dollar and marketing influence.  Guess what, the consumer made their choices, and these giants had to rethink their game.

Not saying with certainty at all what will happen to the marketing tastes toward ebony.  Heck, if enough folks think Bob and Co are full of marketing spin and are boondoggling players, you can bet it will backfire.  But I just don't think the market will perceive it as such, nor do we have any evidence at this point in time that there is a backlash a brewin.  I think given the resources, and the general tenor folks have in today's ecology (intentionally avoiding the word "green" ...doh, I said it! ;)  ), I feel Bob's direction will simply help shape what is to come; not by nefarious means, but by necessity and good conscience.  IMHO, anywhoo.  Not a kool-aid drinker of any marque, mind you ...just a observer   :)

Edward

Edward, I agree. If what you have stated weren't true, why would someone (like this "Fool") pay more for Macassar ebony on the fingerboard and bridge of his BTO?

I believe that tastes are changing, with or without Taylor's approval. That's one of the reasons why there are so many more tone wood options today across many builders. Gone is Brazillian, mahogany's supply is dwindling, and someone recently claimed that instrument-grade maple is becoming harder to find. Enter walnut, koa, ovangkol, sapele, cocobolo, etc. IMO, there's nothing but good news here, because guitarists now have more of a variety of options, rather than simply having to pay homage to the "sacred cows". Shifting paradigms are not made purely of marketing spin....

e8n

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »

As long as things don't affect tone I don't know how much it matters.  With regards to looks though, that is all about marketing and the influence that Taylor has over its customers.  How many of the messages in this thread include the phrase "Bob says" or something similar.  I understand being green and that in the big scheme of things a few streaks (which I don't think look bad either) is not a horrible thing but the clear emphasis on this is to make people feel worse about getting the premium wood and be happy with what they get.   Its like everything else if they can't sell you on something they will make you feel bad about what you want.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »
I'm a believer that no one can make me feel bad unless I allow them to. I'm not going to order a BTO with streaked ebony, because I feel guilty about the limited supply of pure black ebony. I'll order it that way, because I like the look. I'm glad that innovative builders like Taylor have expanded my horizons, rather than limiting my choices to the conventional or the previously acceptable. I wouldn't even have thought of streaked ebony (or ovangkol or sapele, etc.) on a guitar unless someone showed me that it's possible...and I'm not drinking the Kool-aid either.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:31:06 PM by Strumming Fool »