Author Topic: Bob Taylor talks ebony in this great new video  (Read 20019 times)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
Bob Taylor talks ebony in this great new video
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »
Saw this on the AGF and was surprised it wasn't posted here. It's this kind of stuff that makes me want to buy another Taylor next.

For the record I like a little bit of striping in ebony over jet black.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/anCGvfsBoFY
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

bigb

Re: Bob Taylor talks ebony in this great new video
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:06:28 AM »
I totally agree, but... if that truly is Bob and the company's stance on this, they should not charge an upgrade for pure black ebony. It should be luck of the draw. If not, it's simply marketing to remove market barriers at lower price points.

edited: please see rule #1
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:37:27 AM by michaelw »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:35:29 AM »
I totally agree, but... if that truly is Bob and the company's stance on this, they should not charge an upgrade for pure black ebony. It should be luck of the draw. If not, it's simply marketing to remove market barriers at lower price points.
there is an upcharge for the 'higher grade' woods & other
companies charge more for solid black ebony ( & mahogany necks)

'luck-of-the-draw' (12 years ago)

this would probably be considered AA quilt maple (400 series guitar) -
it hasn't been available as a 'regular' BTO option for a good 18 months

upcharges for 'higher grade' woods have been done for a while, based on scarcity & availability &
it goes for all companies & wood suppliers, the difference being Taylor is willing to use what
is perfectly good tonewood that other companies would not (mahogany also comes to mind)

i doubt that a restaurant would put steak on the menu for a set price & serve
one customer a filet & another a sirloin, but they also don't utilize just the filet

ymmv
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:45:50 AM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Iplay2

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
I think Bob, and Taylor as a company, does a wonderful job trying to educate the public about what actually happens in the wood market.  I have learned a ton from Bob's many videos and articles.  It makes me proud to own a Taylor, or 3.  ;D

pottski

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »
I personally like a little color or striping in a fretboard and won't be a bit disappointed if my BTO arrives in a few weeks with such characteristics. Just think of how much longer the ebony supply in Cameroun will last now that the loggers don't cut down 9 b-grade trees for every 1 a-grade. If someone had taken this kind of responsibility 80 years ago in Brazil, maybe we could still enjoy an abundant supply of Brazilian. Then again, maybe not. The point is that Taylor is stepping up once again and setting a standard for others to follow. One of the many reasons I like them as a company. Nice work, Bob!
Custom GA Adirondack/Ovangkol
MIM Fender Telecaster
Luna Safari Muse
Dean Exotica Bubinga
Epi LEs Paul Bass

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »
I didn't know that some ebony came striped!  I think that variations/striping in the ebony are gorgeous.  I personally wouldn't want a guitar with dyed woods etc.

I've always appreciated the way Bob and his company have not taken the tone wood supply for granted.
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »
I actually prefer the colored striping in the ebony fretboards! The first pic is a GA3 so the striped ebony came on the guitar, but on the second pic, I actually had to pay extra for Macassar Ebony just so I could get the striping!

Cindy

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 10:59:12 AM »
Very, very interesting. I had read a good article about this acquisition in Wood and Steel. The video adds to that story, and spreads the word to those who wouldn't otherwise take the time to read about it. 

One of the factors behind my decision to purchase my first Taylor was the company's enlightened strategies with respect to wood supplies. 
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 02:39:34 PM »
Major thumbs up to Bob & Kurt for striking a common sense balance between commercial market demands and the paramount need for forestry stewardship.  This is not even mentioning the additional benefit of paying the laborers a decent price for the work they do.  Combine this with Taylor's and Martin's efforts in sustainable wood use and efforts in finding suitable man-made materials and more efficient manufacturing processes, and we may actually be able to enjoy these woods for a few extra years.  Nice!

Acoustic guitar makers rule...

8) ;D 8)
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »
I applaud the Taylor company for this effort.  I would say that all guitars with grade A ebony have just increased in value.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 07:26:37 PM »
I think that Bob has once again hit it out of the park. I love wood in all colors and grains. I don't care if my ebony is pure black or not, as long as it's ebony. Here's some Macassar ebony on my 2011 BTO- so pretty that it needs no inlays:

and the bridge...

What's not to love? Go get 'em, Bob!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 09:18:24 PM »
Thumbs up for Bob.   :) :)
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:39 PM »
Wow! Cut 10 to get one good one?  :o  That is terrible.  >:(

Good on ya Bob!  I, for one, won't be complaining in any variance in any ebony in my future.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

gerald germany

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »
I knew there was a lot of waste in harvesting ebony, but I had no idea just how much. That's appalling. It's about time someone took the reigns and put a stop to it. Thanks, Bob. In the future we're going going to need the same sort of stances from instrument makers for probably every kind of tonewood used. This was a courageous thing to do. It was a very large investment to protect a resource that was headed for trouble, and to protect it for everyone....it could be a very unpopular one with certain people, but it was one that somebody had to take in order to preserve the sustainable ebony supplies we have left that can still legally be gathered. Without it, in a few years we'd all be sitting around saying "Remember when we could get real ebony for guitarmaking?"

Thanks, Bob...for being willing to step up and put so much of your own skin into the game.
2012 Taylor 714ce-SD
2010 Martin HD-28
2010Takamine EG523SC12 12-string Jumbo
2006 Johnny Walker Concert Classical

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »
"Good stewards..." 
Yet another of the umpteen reasons I love Taylor guitars, the company, and the business model they live.  Bob, Kurt and the legacy they have created and continue to nurture are a real treasure: not just to musicians, not just to the industry, but to big-business at large.  A true breath of fresh air in a world of politically-motivated junk-science and eco-extremism.  Talk about walking the walk.

Edward
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:09:13 PM by Edward »