Author Topic: Which Taylor took you completely by surprise ?  (Read 8226 times)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Which Taylor took you completely by surprise ?
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:22:21 PM »
just wondering if there has been a Taylor that was surprise to anyone,
in terms of it's tone (presence, responsiveness, dynamic, 'voice', etc) -
a Taylor that was not at all what one was expecting & ended being 'more'

perhaps a cedar/koa spoke up when it 'should have been' spruce/rosewood or
a smaller body GC, when one felt that the GS with medium strings would be 'it'

i heard a 03 712ce engelmann that sounded much deeper, warmer & bolder than a 02 914ce -
another person that was also playing the guitars agreed ... & the 712ce followed him home :)

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

DMBfan41

Re: Which Taylor took you completely by surprise ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »
Oddly enough, I played a 110 yesterday while waiting on my lesson to start and was totally impressed.  Actually contemplated it for a few minutes.  Been thinking about getting a mini for the couch and traveling but am seriously considering the 110 now.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:00:44 PM by DMBfan41 »
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
Mine would be the GSmini, followed closely by the DN3.  The GSmini, just because a guitar that size usually doesn't have a presence like that!  Wow!  The DN3 surprised me because I wasn't expecting the low end to be so pronounced, but not so much that it drowned out the mids and highs.  It was so balanced and simple.  I really liked that guitar.  So much, I started a thread about it ;D
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:43:51 AM »
Cedar/rw surprised me most.  For yeeeeaars I had bought the "that's a fingerstylist's guitar" dogma and so shied away, sticking to the ol' standby, spruce.  Then I saw the light.  Glad I did; it changed the way I viewed tone, not to mention made me more open to experimenting with other tonewoods.  Still, gotta love cedar!

Edward

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 02:48:48 AM »
My all blackwood 426ce-LTD.  I'd always heard it was a lot like koa...which always sounds thin to me when I play.  However, the all blackwood just blew me away...the tone is unbelievable.  Best sounding guitar I own...and have played.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

Terry

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
Two come to mind.
The 714ce was  a  very pleasant surprise to me. The cedar top makes a difference and gives it a great warm sound. I had a chance at one last year and let it slip away. That memory haunts me.
R. Taylor were a bit of a surprise to me too.  I had no doubt they could build a great custom style guitar, but the ones I have played have exceeded my expectations by several notches.  :)
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

spieler

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »
When I first read about the Taylor Parlor and saw pictures of it online, I assumed it was a gimmick, an over-priced vanity project for seller and potential buyer alike.

Then, I played one. I couldn't get over the sound coming out of that little guitar. The brazilian back and sides no doubt helped  :o, but still. Beautiful, beautiful little guitar.

[I played it back-to-back-to-back with a Santa Cruz 1929-00, over and over again. What a day.]

~ S.

e8n

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »
My biggest surprise was a BTO that Jim had that someone traded in.  It was a Adi/Coco GS, probably a 2008.  The combination blew me away and inspired my two BTO builds that I currently have.  As an aside, a forum member (at least a former forum member from the old forum) ended up with that very guitar. 

It does go to show that when you are in a shop you should pickup and play everything they will allow you to play.  You never know what will inspire you.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »
That's easy, the Baby Taylor. About ten years ago I was in my local GC and noticed this little wonder hanging on the wall of the acoustic room and was drawn to it immediately. I couldn't get over how easy it was to play and what a great tone it had for such a small instrument. Today we have many excellent 3/4 size guitars and it seems the Baby doesn't get much love on forums but I'm told it's still a great seller. Oh, and yes, I still have mine.   :)

e8n

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
My biggest surprise was a BTO that Jim had that someone traded in.  It was a Adi/Coco GS, probably a 2008.  The combination blew me away and inspired my two BTO builds that I currently have.  As an aside, a forum member (at least a former forum member from the old forum) ended up with that very guitar. 

It does go to show that when you are in a shop you should pickup and play everything they will allow you to play.  You never know what will inspire you.

-Dave

Dave,

Is that the guitar that Wooglins (sp?) on the old forum bought?

I believe it is.  Really nice guitar!

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 01:49:50 PM »

-Dave

Dave,

-Dave
i remember the images threads & posts of that guitar very well :)

i had also owned a guitar (09 Spring 716ceLTD) similar to one
that was traded for it ... that BTO adi/coco GS is something :D

support indie musicians

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 12:30:44 AM »
My biggest surprise when I recently picked up my first LKSM. Compared to other 12 strings I had played, this guitar had an amazing low end, combined with a tone I had never heard come from a 12 string before.
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 12:36:12 AM »

-Dave

Dave,

-Dave
i remember the images threads & posts of that guitar very well :)

i had also owned a guitar (09 Spring 716ceLTD) similar to one
that was traded for it ... that BTO adi/coco GS is something :D

I am the original owner of that guitar. Jim and I speced it and I was dumbfounded when I heard the tone. He was insistent on putting on the Addi top. The top and the new bracing system made all of the difference and that experience cemented my trust of Jim's judgment. I agree with the comments here about how wonderful it sounded.

That guitar was featured in a write-up in Wood and Steel that I can link you to if anyone is interested.

I loved the guitar but a shoulder injury really limited my enjoyment of it so back it went to Guitar Rodeo after a year of shoulder aches. Fortunately it has gone on to a new home where is is equally loved. The story had a happy ending for me because it ultimately led to my GA Maple Limited that I will bore you silly about if you are foolish enough to ask. I had also planned over the long haul to get a GC BTO which has also now come to pass. NTGD for me on the GC should be this week.
wow :o

thank you so much for sharing Schooner,
i never knew that the guitar was originally yours ... you're famous :D

seriously, i am glad that you have been able fo find a guitar that
is most comfortable & enjoyable to play in your 09 GAceLTD MA &
congrats on the up & coming, soon-to-be in-bound GC :)

as for the quilted maple beauty you have ...
that's settles it, i will have to start a maple guitar thread -
images & impressions ;D

we maple peeps need to stick together ;)

support indie musicians

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 12:39:10 AM »
My biggest surprise when I recently picked up my first LKSM. Compared to other 12 strings I had played, this guitar had an amazing low end, combined with a tone I had never heard come from a 12 string before.
very nice :)

John, i was wondering that when you picked it up, did the LKSM
follow you home to hang out with the 612ce & 614ceL30 ;)

support indie musicians

darylcrisp

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 03:45:37 AM »
the 516ce i recently picked up. i've been a 12 fret junkie for quite a while now, along with keeping to a smaller body(000/OM). add that i haven't typically cared for cedar as a top wood, and i had preferred shortscale to standard due to an injury.

this 516 just turned all that around and i've found it to be an absolutely marvelous and easy to play guitar, even while sitting(which is how i play).

never in a million years would i have thought this would all come together as it did and fit my style of playing.

d