Author Topic: GUITAR RODEO WAS BURGLARIZED 5-1-12, NEARLY EVERYTHING GONE  (Read 19259 times)

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
Re: GUITAR RODEO WAS BURGLARIZED 5-1-12, NEARLY EVERYTHING GONE
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
 Jim, sorry to hear about your loss. I peruse CL daily, and always check any Taylor's (adding Santa Cruz) listed. I'm in North Carolina, but you never know where these guitars might show up.

Unfortunately, crimes like this are on the rise. My co-worker's home was burglarized this past Monday. Those amateurs were caught the same day and she got all of her stuff back. The violation of one's home or place of business is difficult to stomach.

"Stuff" can be replaced. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

gerald germany

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
This really does suck. Jim, I'm sorry for your trouble, man. I'll keep an eye out. I hope they catch these guys quickly, recover all of the stolen property, and slam the steel door behind these low-lifes and throw away the key.
2012 Taylor 714ce-SD
2010 Martin HD-28
2010Takamine EG523SC12 12-string Jumbo
2006 Johnny Walker Concert Classical

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
...I guess that we could all be detectives and start looking for the guys trying to buy 40 Taylor cases!

You know, this is a VERY good point!  I've bought inexpensive guits w/o cases or with a cheap gigbag in the past without thought.  But with a higher-end guit, there is NO reason that a seller should be selling w/o a case at all, regardless of whatever story he concocts.  Good tip off and something that is a real redflag!!

Edward

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »
So sorry to hear about this.  Hopefully, the scum that did this will get a nick on their finger from a string at the headstock and get gangrene!  >:(  Sorry, was that harsh?

It is heartening to see competitors, customers, the guitar makers, and potential customers pulling together to try to bring the scum to justice.

Captain Jim
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:39:32 PM by michaelw »
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

gitgal

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
Sorry to hear this news.  I do hope the guitars are recovered soon.

mea1970

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »
Makes me sick to my stomach. Yes, I hope these lowlifes are caught. Stealing the fruits of so many folks' labor. Disgusting.
-----------------------------
'12 Taylor GC Macassar Ebony/Sinker
'11 Taylor GS Mini
'83 Les Paul
Ron Kirn custom Telecaster
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Signature
Reverend PA-1 hollow body

egkor

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 12:39:44 AM »
Thinking about this theft:

These thieves don't appear to be too bright.

High-end guitars without cases, now if they want to convert these to cash, its going to be obvious something is suspect because of "no case" or "wrong case".  I mean, a dread will fit any dread case, I think a GA shape will fit any dread case, but what about a GS & Jumbo shapes?  IMHO these would be hard to sell just because of the no or wrong case issue.

And, with no cases, did these guitars get dinged up when they were taken since the theives were in a hurry and had to put them in their getaway vehicle (I assume truck)?

So you either have a hard time to sell them, or you keep them but never take them out into public ...

Just stupid, stupid, stupid.

I don't see how this will end well for the theives or anyone that buys these guitars.

I hope the guitars start turning up, leading back to the theives (for arrest/etc.).

-Gary K
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:43:19 AM by egkor »
Taylor- 614ce (2012), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)

Maynard9089

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 06:58:07 AM »
I suspect these items may be headed out of the US. Im thinking north to Canada or even Europe or Asia. Sadly there are people who would knowingly buy these at greatly reduced prices despite being stolen. Hopefully someone will slip up and a serial number will pop up somewhere that will allow authorities to track it to the original thieves.
2012 Taylor 414ce
2013 Taylor GS-Mini Mahogany

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 07:26:27 AM »
Will definitely keep my eyes open over here in oz, not that I'd expect them to turn up here but you never know. Jim was your 35th anniversary Taylor GS cocobolo amongst them. That would be very difficult to move un noticed.
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
Will definitely keep my eyes open over here in oz, not that I'd expect them to turn up here but you never know. Jim was your 35th anniversary Taylor GS cocobolo amongst them. That would be very difficult to move un noticed.

I dunno, I think it's quite likely these guitars may be sent to the other side of the world - thieves may assume that's a safer bet.  But, with the worldwide Taylor/guitar-afficianado family, they can run but they won't be able to hide forever. 

I've noticed members here and at other forums from Oz, SE Asia, Europe, Canada and Africa - word will get around and eyes will be kept peeled.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »
Unfortunately, the reality is that stolen instruments are rarely recovered.

In this case, the fact that the guitars don't have cases will make it more difficult to sell them. Let's face it, how many people here would buy, say, an 814ce without a case? The fact that they don't have cases will also likely translate into some level of damage to the guitars.

Now, it sounds like the thieves are pros. That's going to make things a lot more difficult. They've probably got mechanisms in place to move the stolen guitars. If they're pros, these guitars aren't going to start popping up in pawn shops and flea markets in Minneapolis or St. Paul. They'll start showing up in places like Denver or Phoenix or Nashville.

Thieves suck...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

jon@myfavoriteguitars

• My Favorite Guitars
    • My Favorite Guitars
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »
Having been friends and picking buddies with Jim for over 40 years, I know he will deal with this adversity and move on with a positive outlook.  That's what makes him who he is.  And who he is - is a great person.  So sorry this happened - but hank goodness he was insured and also that no one was hurt in this awful enterprise.  All will be well, Jim - hang in there!
Best,
Jon & Sharon
Regards,
Jon and Sharon Garon
http://www.myfavoriteguitars.com
Store Line: 239-530-PICK (7425)
Authorized Taylor Guitars Dealer

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
Have been off line a couple days and just read this horrible news.  I'm so sorry to hear...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about this and hope law enforcement will catch the culprits and be able to recover the guitars. :)

Jim, you are such a wonderful person and an awesome businessman, and I will keep you in my prayers. Josh, thanks for offering to get the serial numbers to post and sticky. That will really be an asset to tracking these beauties!
Cindy

Big DB

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
IF the thieves are/were pros, I wouldn't be surprised if the guitars are already out of the country. 

Not to be negative about the situation, it would almost be better for Jim that the guitars are not recovered.  If they were hastily taken without cases, the chances of them having dings and dents, etc. are high.  If recovered I know I would not want to buy a "new" guitar that was stolen and had cosmetic damages.  Would they even be able to be sold as new or would they be issued a salvage title like cars?  By not being recovered, he can replace the stolen items with brand new fresh inventory with the insurance payout.

Regardless of what happens, the whole situation sucks and I am sorry to have to read about it.  :-[
2010 Taylor 114ce
1980 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand
2009 Jay Turser Mini-Shark guitar w/custom paint by Ed Zak.