Author Topic: GUITAR RODEO WAS BURGLARIZED 5-1-12, NEARLY EVERYTHING GONE  (Read 19260 times)

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Just saw a posting on the Taylor FB page.  Guitar Rodeo (Jim Tordoff) was burglarized last Saturday night and the reprobates made off with more than 40 uncased Taylor and Santa Cruz guitars. 

That's got to be the entire showroom and probably a lot of the stock in back I would imagine. 
I've only met Jim a couple times but he's a great guy and I'm sure is devastated by this. 
(Insurance replaces $$$, but nothing can erase the violation.)

I'm just so mad about this. 

Might be a good idea for us to keep an eye on CL and other sales listings and if anything seems hinky may want to request the serial # (a photo of it, to be certain) and run it by Jim (or the Mpls PD, not sure how that works though...). 

Awful, awful news.
 >:(  >:(  >:(

-K

*edited date* per OP's request.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:37:21 PM by michaelw »
Member #34
I'm not darth.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: GUITAR RODEO WAS BURGLARIZED 4-28-12, NEARLY EVERYTHING GONE
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »
I just sent Jim a PM...I'm hoping we can help keep an eye out for his guitars....this really is horrible.
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Blackfield

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »
Ughh, horrible news..

Jim is a gentleman and always helpful.
If he posts here the models and serial numbers, we can do our part to be vigilent for these guitars.

Sludgefactory

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 04:11:08 PM »
Have purchased from Jim and we all know how great he is. If any of us encounter deals too good to be true on CL or Ebay, etc. let's ask for serial numbers and maybe we can flush these bastards out.
610ce
615ce-guitar for the gulf
516ce-ltd. koa

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »
Wow, that truly does suck.

The fact that they're uncased will make them a little more difficult to move, so that's something, at least...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »
I got the date wrong, I guess it was Tuesday 5/1, not Saturday.
Maybe Josh can fix the heading.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »
Horrible!

Classifieds in the local papers, local craigslist, and of course ebay.   These @#!!$ need to be caught so we can all keep a lookout.  I don't know if Jim feels like it, but TGP forum has an area of stolen items to "keep an eye out" for...a general list posted out may help him recover.  And I do hope insurance steps up here.   Just terrible!

Edward

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
Re: GUITAR RODEO WAS BURGLARIZED 5-1-12, NEARLY EVERYTHING GONE
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
Yes. It totally sucks. The good news is, no customers lost any guitars and new ones come in every day. It is annoying, a hassle, and it doesn't help my attitude much but I also am philosophical about it. It is the world we live in. I am fully insured and everything will be replaced. My apologies to anyone who was looking at something we had posted with the intention of buying it-please contact us anyway and we will get you what you want. Taylor and Santa Cruz have both totally stepped forward with help. Taylor has posted the news and is expediting me for the serial numbers so they can track with the regional dealers. I was humbled by my so-called competitors in town, throughout the region and the country. I have received many visits and phone calls and emails with offers to help from people who are trying just as hard as we are to sell guitars to the same potential customers. Getting support from my esteemed competitors actually makes me more emotional than the losses, and having them reach out and offer to help is humbling. Another superb shop in St Paul was robbed too- Willie's American Guitars. They specialize in collector and vintage guitars and they lost several from the same gang. These guys also hit some jewelry stores the same night. Professionals. Somehow, it seems less personal when you realize it was pros and not amateurs who just wanted to hit your shop..... And a final word to those customers who want to know if the guitars we have are new models or ones we have had around for a while: good news.... They are all fresh.... Thanks to everyone for your support and thoughts and prayers. We appreciate it very much. Jim
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 06:39:54 PM »
You know, Jim, one thing I learned while in retail here in San Diego is that, while we always want to get that sale from the guy down the street, we want to get it for the right reasons. Seeing your competitor get robbed is heart-breaking, because you know it easily could've been you.

This is what you're seeing from the guys you compete with. They want to compete with you, and they want to get those deals, but they want it to be a level playing field.

As much as it sucks, you're insured, and they're just "things".

Sucks about Willie's, too...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 06:47:57 PM »
I lived in a place once where my vehicles were broken into and robbery attempted, a number of times..
It just feels so violating and senseless... This stuff makes me upset..
I feel strongly with the help of Taylor, other dealers, and our network online here, these guys will trip up trying to sell these somewhere and get caught..
I can't wait to see it happen...
Great attitude Jim..
Glad to see you finding the positives in this!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 07:04:16 PM »
Jim,

You've got such a great attitude about this ugliness ...good for you!  It is all too easy  --and natural of course-- to get angry, if not vintictive, about being violated like this.  But you, sir, embue a refreshingly balanced perspective on this mess.  That you credit your "competitors" is a credit to you, man!  Goes to show you how the most base behavior can be overcome by generosity and selflessness of other folks.  The base win only if we likewise debase ourselves.   "We" win when we draw upon the better side of our humanity.  Again, sorry and upset for your loss.  Yet huge kudos to you, man, for taking the higher road!

Edward

Tayzalor

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »
That is just terrible. I guess I shouldn't be, but I'm stunned  :( Sad. Jim, you are a class act.

Jeanette
Jeanette

2011 712ce
2012 GS Mini - Mahogany

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:16:25 PM »
Hi All,

I just got off the phone with Jim at GR, and with Doug at Willie's American Guitars.  Both are going to provide a list of the guitars that were stolen AND their serial numbers.

When I receive the lists, I'll make a separate "sticky" topic on the top of this forum for both of the lists.

Please keep an eye out for these guitars on CL, ebay, pawn stores, etc.

I hope we can help both Jim and Doug.

Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »
Very sorry to hear about this Jim, do let me know if there is any way I can help.

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 08:57:30 PM »
I have been a loyal customer of Jim's for many years and love doing business with him for a variety of reasons. Among other things, he is always tremendously upbeat and manages to find a positive side to everything as he has demonstrated in his comments here about competitiors.

I talked to him today and heard all of the sad details including a couple of near misses on antique instruments that just looked used to the thieves. He'll get through this.

I guess that we could all be detectives and start looking for the guys trying to buy 40 Taylor cases!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:31:55 AM by Tammany Tiger »