Author Topic: What kind of strings do you play on your Taylor & how long before changing them?  (Read 28621 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Is this something to file this under "dumb questions"?  Are there any brands that don't squeak much?  I've only used Elixir's, Ernie Balls, and Martin's and they all seem to squeak.  The age of the strings doesn't seem to matter either - they squeak on day one and the day I take them off.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Elixir PolyWebs seem to 'talk the least' to me -
flatwound jazz strings would work also (d'addario chromes),
but they would likely be quite bright & i've yet to find PB flatwounds
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

414Ltd

I use ej19's on my 414-ltd (spruce/rwd).  I like the blend of the light top and medium bottom end.  I change strings on that guitar (my main guitar) every 2 or 3 weeks, give or take, depending on how much gigging I'm doing.

Neil

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
I don't really do anything to alter the sound of my guitars.

Strings, bridge pins, saddles, nuts, what have you. What was on it when I bought it is a component of why I bought it; what helps shapes its sound. If I change any of those, I'll be changing the sound of the guitar, and that doesn't really interest me...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
I use D'Addario EXP16s on all my guitars. After trying multiple brands of both coated and non-coated strings, I've found these to deliver consistently good performance. On occasion, I try something I haven't tried before, and measure it by this standard. So far, it's still the D'Addarios....I change them every 5 months or so.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood