Author Topic: What kind of strings do you play on your Taylor & how long before changing them?  (Read 28618 times)

temporaryalias

I have been revolving between GHS White Bronze lights and Martin Flexcore lights on my 416ce and love them both. Hard to decide between the two. The Flexcores win when I was using mediums, but the GHS sit well with me since I switched to lights.

I have been changing them often as i have been experimenting with string sets. But generally Ill change them every three to 6 weeks depending on how they sound/feel.
Taylor 416ce 2011
Taylor BTO EIR/Sinker GC on the way!

dangrunloh

WHAT!!! You're supposed to change the strings!! This would sure save me a bunch of money from buying new guitars when they sound dead!   :D
yes, but wouldn't it also save the trouble of changing strings,
since the new guitar would have new strings already on it ??? ;)

i have d'addario exp19's (coated PB lite/med 'bluegrass' .012 - .056)
on mine & because my playing time has dropped dramatically recently,
i don't recall how old they are & when i'll need to change em next :(

the elixirs i've used (nano 80/20 & PB) i found that the coating would
shred or the g would snap (had em unravel between the 2nd & 3rd fret) -
2 to 3 weeks tops, playing 2 or 3 hours a day

DR Extras (coated PB Custom Spec gauge set .011 - .054) i liked a good bit,
but sometimes the lo E would go dead prematurely, otherwises 90 hr on a set :)

I'm using Elixer nanos 80/20 on my 414ce and like the sound especially picked.  I have a problem with breaking the windings at the first 2 frets on the G.  I sometimes fret kinda hard.  I'm buying extra single G's because they go long before the others. About 30-40 hours.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
When I bouight my new 814ce, I had the shop install my favorite strings - D'Addario PB lights (.012 - .053). I changed them about 7 weeks later to Elixer Nanonweb 80/20 liights (sam gauge. So far after about 3 weeks I am unimpressed with the Elixers in . They sound good, but I prefer the feel and sound of the D'Addario's. I may try either the Elixer Nanoweb PB's or D'Addario XLR's on my next string change, which I anticipate in about 2 months (according to longevity claims I have read about). I will also consider Pearse and Martin strings, but I am anxious to have my guitar set up and I have been advised to do so with the strings I will be using.

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

MAS

Well, I thought I had settled on D'Addario EJ19's for my GS8, but it started sounding really "tinny" to my ear. Annoyingly so. Right now I have some DR Rare mediums on it, and I'm loving it. I can see this may be a never-ending string journey for me. We'll see.

As for when to change them, I have no schedule. I just play them until my OCD takes over. :-\
Guitars:
Taylor GS8e
Breedlove D200 Atlas

Ukuleles:
KoAloha Pineapple Soprano (All Koa)
KoAloha Super Concert

e8n

I've tried a whole bunch of different strings and have had some success depending on the guitar but for the most part I will stick with Elixir's. 

My the Coco that I had was great with John Pearse strings but it was the only one that those really clicked with (personally I think you could have put shoe strings on that guitar and it would have been awesome).  The K26 was the only guitar that I've owned that sounded cruddy with Elixirs on it.  I ended up with DRs on there being the best overall.

With my current lineup the only thing I use is Elixirs.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

GBYork

• Ageing Folk Rocker!
I have been using Elixir PB 10s on my 712 - but will soon be changing to 11s. Have tried D'Addario EJ16s but they were a little too heavy for the bass end and lost their tone quite quickly.

On my Martin I use Elixir PB nanoweb 12s - these suit the guitar beautifully, with a rich bass and clear top. I prefer 11s to play but had problems with D and G strings breaking when playing aggressively! The 12s seem to stand it.

I have tried most brands of strings over the last 40 years, including hand wound, and I can honestly say that, for me, nothing comes close to Elixir, they sound like I want strings to sound.

As for changing them, this depends how frequently I play and what style I am playing. The strings on the 712 last a great deal longer finger picked than the strummed strings on the 000.
I've spent most of my money on women, whiskey and guitars - the rest I just wasted

Martin SP000-16TR (1996) with LR Baggs element
Taylor 712 (1999) with Fishman VT Ellipse
Tanglewood Mandolin
Fishman Loudbox (Original)

sachi

• Veteran Member
Like many of you, I like the sound of D'Addario PB EXP (coated) lights on my GC-5. Given my several acoustics I don't need to change the strings very often! I actually play my Voyage-Air more than the others, because it is sitting in its stand right by the couch.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

dangrunloh

WHAT!!! You're supposed to change the strings!! This would sure save me a bunch of money from buying new guitars when they sound dead!   :D

I'm using Elixer nanos 80/20 on my 414ce and like the sound especially picked.  I have a problem with breaking the windings at the first 2 frets on the G.  I sometimes fret kinda hard.  I'm buying extra single G's because they go long before the others. About 30-40 hours.

I just replaced the Elixer G-string and looked at it closely.  There were dents or small breaks in the windings at most of the first 7 frets.  I didn't think the tone was that bad until I put on the new string.  Analyzing my playing I realized I do an awful lot of bending and hammer-ons on that string in particular so I can't complain too much.  I haven't yet tried D'Addarios coated EXP 80/20s but I just bought a set and they are next.  I'm recording my playing and singing on each set as a reference for later comparison.  So far it's the 80/20's for me.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred

I just replaced the Elixer G-string and looked at it closely.  There were dents or small breaks in the windings at most of the first 7 frets.  I didn't think the tone was that bad until I put on the new string.  Analyzing my playing I realized I do an awful lot of bending and hammer-ons on that string in particular so I can't complain too much.  I haven't yet tried D'Addarios coated EXP 80/20s but I just bought a set and they are next.  I'm recording my playing and singing on each set as a reference for later comparison.  So far it's the 80/20's for me.
i was able to talk to a Taylor tech this past week & he mentioned strings develop metal fatigue over time -
visually, it may be more noticeable on the wound strings, especially on the areas that contact the frets,
causing potential string rattle, buzzing, poor intonation & what might be considered to be tuning 'drift'

if i feel the plain strings  starting to get 'rough', i will change them, also to help
try to minimize/avoid premature fretwear, due to the oxidized metal contact

the NanoWeb PB i used were shortly after they were introduced & the G unraveled between the 2nd & 3 frets
with new strings, twice with in a period of about 90 min, with the playing time nor being constant/continuous -
80/20 windings are a bit softer than PB 92/8 bronze (& the phosphor treatment also hardens the windings) &
what worked for me (& it may not for someone else) was going to DR Extra PBs .011 - .054, then D'addario EXP19s

just as in guitars, strings & pretty much everything else in life, ymmv ;)

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
Just cleaned up the GS6, dropped in a lower ivory saddle,adjusted the neck,tightened the bolts,added bone pins, put on a set of D'Addario EJ 14. 80/20 Bronze, .012-.056.I steel wooled the frets,and the steel filings around the neck pickup looked like a mustache. I always knew those refrigerator magnets were good for something.(HeHe) I believe this guitar would sound good w/fishing line.The overtones are astounding.
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
I have been playing my Taylor 814ce with Elixer Nanoweb 80/20's for about 5 weeks now and have formed my opinion... I don't like them. They do sound good, but I don't like the way they feel and they are already peeling. They are coming off any day now and will be replaced with D'Addario EXP's. I will also be evaluating Martin SP's (80/20 and PB's) and a set of DR Rare Earth strings before settling on my string of choice for this guitar. I may also try a set of John Pearse strings. So far, however, my favorite strings, and the ones that I have on my other guitars are D'Addario EJ16's: uncoated Phosphor Bronze. I love the way they osund and feel. The only down-side is that they squeakm so I am hoping that the EXP's will sound and play as good, but without as much squeking.

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

bigb

It never occurred to me to try anything other than the factory suggestion Elixer Nano's on my 314 for the 1st 5 years. After doing just a little bit of sampling I found the following:
Elixer Poly: Seemed muted, pulled them off in short order.
Elixer Nano: Long lasting, and a tone that to me is in the Taylor tone profile wheelhouse.
Martin Marquis: Tone was okay, seemed short-lived. I couldn't get past the residue on my fingers after each play. I don't know if it was that particular set but it looked like I had just been working on a charcoal drawing after playing  - even after cleaning them???
Martin Silk & Steel: Low tension strings that are low volume as well. If you have hand issues, consider these as they almost made my 314 feel like an electric.
D'Addario BG set: WINNER!! Very playable, reasonably long lasting, and provided a bit more low end, again on the 314.

My new GA12F came with the Elixers and I just bought a set of the D'Addario's to replace them. Can't wait to hear how they sound with the 12 fretter and the cedar top.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:15:41 PM by bigb »

Redwood Tree

On My Taylors   ,   I put Elixirs only . . Why >   Beacuse they last and when they get old They still sound lively on my Taylors. Funny... at the earlyest I may change the strings on my most played one at 4 months But the ones I keep for the long run I may chage at 18 month intervals.

Elixirs  80 / 20 bronze
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

delts2000

John Pearse PB mediums are still my favorite strings after trying various brands. For the guitar I play daily I feel the need to change them every 2-3 weeks. 

Satsuki

My Elixir's have a built in color indicater that let's me know when to change them. When they turn green I know it's time. :D