Author Topic: What kind of strings do you play on your Taylor & how long before changing them?  (Read 28617 times)

InsideOut

I change strings so infrequently, that I forget when the last time was, and what I used.  MichaelW gave me a 3 pack of D'Addario strings in 2002 or somewhere around there.  I finally used them all and threw away the box about two years ago.  On my 714-CE, I used to use the Elixir strings for the most part until Michael gave me those.  I kept using the Elixir strings on my Big Baby.  I also put the John Pearse strings on my GS7e every once in a while too.  Being down to one steel string acoustic (the 714-CE) has significantly reduced the changes. 
I have enough, but can always make room for more.

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
I use Elixir PB's on all my guitars and change 'em when it sounds like it needs it.  Depending on what/how much I'm playing, that can be anywhere form a couple of weeks to many months.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

dkoloff

For the most part I have been Elixirs in the PB  but have been experimenting with John pearse, Red Brand and some others. Really like the JP strings at the moment as a change from the coated.
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

spieler

I change strings so infrequently, that I forget when the last time was, and what I used.

I keep a slip of paper in my guitar case(s), usually torn from a string packet, on which I write the date each time I change strings. I first did it out of curiosity, because I had no idea how often I "felt like" changing them (ie, noticed negative changes that might improve with new strings). My general usage pattern, with Elixir Nanos, tended toward string changes at 4 months. Having established that, it now helps me to be able to refer to the date of the last change if the strings start getting wonky, instead of trying to guess if I've gotten my money's worth or not.  ;)

I'd read all kinds of negative reviews on Elixirs in my pre-Taylor days, but I think that was maybe for the "soapy" Polys? Maybe not(!), but my 512 came with Elixir Nano 80/20s, and I really liked them. The PBs are by far my favorite, however. A few years ago a Taylor Road Show came through that featured Taylor Techs (Zach A., Pat Diburro-- booyah) giving guitars a once-over (and in some cases, doing neck resets, re-shimming and other exciting adjustments right on the spot) then installing a fresh set of 80/20 Nanos. I appreciated the gesture, but was eager to wear the strings down and out so I could return to PBs sooner than later.

So: Elixir PB Nano lights on my 512 and Baby (soon retired with the advent of the Mini), Nano PB mediums on my Mini (ahhhhhh), and Nano 80/20 lights on my non-Taylor-but-I'm-a-completist Guild dreadnaught, the boominess of which offsets and benefits from the brighter trebles the 80/20s provide.

Roughly every 4 months or so, sometimes 6.

That was the question, right?

~ S.

Jack Gretz

• 570-499-1479
    • Northeast Music Center
I like the D'Addario EJ16s on my Taylor-- I like to feel the string as I am playing -- Elixir sound great as well it is just a feel thing with me.. I change them about every 2-3 weeks sometimes sooner if I play alot
Jack Gretz
Northeast Music Center Inc
713 Scranton Carbondale Hwy
Dickson City PA 18519
570-909-9216
http://www.nemusiccenter.com
sales@nemusiccenter.com

andyi5

I like the Elixir nanos and PB's both, but recently tried some uncoated D'Addario PB mediums on my GSmini. Had them on about 3 weeks, oddly I like them better now than when I first had them on.

Although I'll revert back to Elixir's in a bit, I do have an unused set of the coated Martin lifespan SP's which I'm curious to try - anyone have good experience with these on their Taylors?

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
I use Elixirs on both my T5 and 814.  My 814 just turned a year old a month ago and I am still on my second set.  I play it almost daily, but it just keeps on ringing out and is still holding tuning without the need to re-tune frequently.  These are the Nanoweb 80/20 Bronze.  I imagine if I was gigging every weekend, I'd went though a few more sets by now.  I am going to experiment the next change with another brand.

I run with the Elixir electric strings, Nanoweb mediums for the T5.  In the past I tried a set of acoustic strings on the T5, but I did not like the overall sound.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Justiceandmercy

I usually use Elixirs (sometimes I give something new a whirl) and depending on how often I'm playing they used to get about 3 months play out of them... since moving out of the US and string prices have doubled I've been playing on them for 6 months or longer... usually they stay on until i need to play live or something then they get fresh strings haha

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
I change strings so infrequently, that I forget when the last time was, and what I used.

I keep a slip of paper in my guitar case(s), usually torn from a string packet, on which I write the date each time I change strings. I first did it out of curiosity, because I had no idea how often I "felt like" changing them (ie, noticed negative changes that might improve with new strings). My general usage pattern, with Elixir Nanos, tended toward string changes at 4 months. Having established that, it now helps me to be able to refer to the date of the last change if the strings start getting wonky, instead of trying to guess if I've gotten my money's worth or not.  ;)

I'd read all kinds of negative reviews on Elixirs in my pre-Taylor days, but I think that was maybe for the "soapy" Polys? Maybe not(!), but my 512 came with Elixir Nano 80/20s, and I really liked them. The PBs are by far my favorite, however. A few years ago a Taylor Road Show came through that featured Taylor Techs (Zach A., Pat Diburro-- booyah) giving guitars a once-over (and in some cases, doing neck resets, re-shimming and other exciting adjustments right on the spot) then installing a fresh set of 80/20 Nanos. I appreciated the gesture, but was eager to wear the strings down and out so I could return to PBs sooner than later.

So: Elixir PB Nano lights on my 512 and Baby (soon retired with the advent of the Mini), Nano PB mediums on my Mini (ahhhhhh), and Nano 80/20 lights on my non-Taylor-but-I'm-a-completist Guild dreadnaught, the boominess of which offsets and benefits from the brighter trebles the 80/20s provide.

Roughly every 4 months or so, sometimes 6.

That was the question, right?

~ S.

I think I forgot what the question was...

;D
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
Because I have so many guitars at home I stick to coated strings and until Martin released their Lifespan it was Elixir. Currently however my 714ce is strung with Lifespan lights and I rather like it. I would have to do an A/B comparison with two guitars to be sure but I think I'm hearing a little more mid range growl from my beloved 714 and I rather like it.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Because I have so many guitars at home I stick to coated strings and until Martin released their Lifespan it was Elixir. Currently however my 714ce is strung with Lifespan lights and I rather like it. I would have to do an A/B comparison with two guitars to be sure but I think I'm hearing a little more mid range growl from my beloved 714 and I rather like it.

Ted, how are the Martin lights on the fingers compared with Elixir lights? I noticed two of the Martin strings are slightly larger in gauge than the Elixirs...25 and 54 vs. 24 and 53 respectively.
Cindy

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
I haven't noticed any difference Cindy, you should give them a try.

andyi5

Just popped the Lifespan's on my GSmini last night and so far so good. Maybe Elixir's are better but these do sound good.

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
This thread brought to mind a bass player I played w/in the late 80s.I never saw him change strings. About every 3 wks he,d take them off, boil them in water for about 10 min. ,dry them,wipe them really good w/olive oil on a cloth,restring & was good to go.I'm not sure, but I believe the strings were nickel steel 'Slinkys'.We played together 3 &4 nights a week for almost 2 yrs. As far as I could tell the sound was always dead on. He was also a teriffic musician w/a great ear, so I guess that didn't hurt.
Steve
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:26:48 AM by michaelw »
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

silvereagle48

everything but, the hoffman and cole-clark have elixer nano pb lights.  the hoffman and cole-clark have nano pb medium-lights.  Last at least a month or longer. 
hoffman j, taylor bto ga, taylor bto jumbo 12 string, huss and dalton custom 00-sp, huss and dalton custom ds 12 fret, cole-clark fl3ac, martin hd-28-2r, larrivee om-05