Author Topic: What kind of strings do you play on your Taylor & how long before changing them?  (Read 28619 times)

Terry

I have tried different strings on my Taylors and except for the LKSM, they all just don't sound like a Taylor to me without Elixers.
So, Elixer would be my choice of string and if I'm playing them regularly I'll change them out about every 2 -3 months.
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
I couldn't agree more.  I put 80/20 Nanos on both my 816ce and 714ce.  On the GS Mini, I like the PB Nanos (in medium) for the extra warmth and bottom end. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

mcookoc

i use d'darrio or however you spell it' light weight coated. this is what i have settled on after trying many different strings.

Ed422

A friend introduced me to Pearse strings back in the mid 90s.  I try other brands now and then but always go back to Pearse.  Weight and material is determined by the individual guitar.  When I'm playing a guitar regularly, about a month is right for a set of strings.

I've tried most of the brands but I've never found a coated string that I like either the sound or feel of.  That they will sound that way for a long time is no incentive for me.

Ed

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
I use the same on my Taylor as I have been on all of my guitars for years - D'Addario Phosphor Bronze. I don't use coated strings. So far I have only used light gauge strings (0.012 - 0.053) but I am going to try medium guage next (0.013 - 0.056). I want to try Elixers - I have heard good things about them.

I change them when they start sounding dead, and that depends on time and use. I find I usually change strings about every 2 months or so.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:03:48 AM by roadbiker »
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
I've been using Elixers for year's on my Alvarez and was glad to see them stock on Taylors.  Call me crazy but I prefer strings that aren't new out of the box...give 2-3 weeks of playing and that's when I find the sound perfect.
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

markallen

WHAT!!! You're supposed to change the strings!! This would sure save me a bunch of money from buying new guitars when they sound dead!   :D

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
WHAT!!! You're supposed to change the strings!! This would sure save me a bunch of money from buying new guitars when they sound dead!   :D
yes, but wouldn't it also save the trouble of changing strings,
since the new guitar would have new strings already on it ??? ;)

i have d'addario exp19's (coated PB lite/med 'bluegrass' .012 - .056)
on mine & because my playing time has dropped dramatically recently,
i don't recall how old they are & when i'll need to change em next :(

the elixirs i've used (nano 80/20 & PB) i found that the coating would
shred or the g would snap (had em unravel between the 2nd & 3rd fret) -
2 to 3 weeks tops, playing 2 or 3 hours a day

DR Extras (coated PB Custom Spec gauge set .011 - .054) i liked a good bit,
but sometimes the lo E would go dead prematurely, otherwises 90 hr on a set :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:59:01 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Ed422

Not to mention that changing those strings kills the resale value.  Who wants a guitar with non-original parts? (grin)

Ed

Terry

Not to mention that changing those strings kills the resale value.  Who wants a guitar with non-original parts? (grin)
Ed
Ed, I thought the string change enhanced the resale value.  How about all those Craigslist ads for Cort & Samick guitars with genuine Martin strings? ;)
T
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

MRMTAYGA

Elixir Nanoweb PB lights on the 714 and medium on the DN. I am however looking to experiment over the holidays with some Cleartones or Dragonskin, both PB. Anyone have a good experience with those brands?

I  change strings every month on the GA but the DN doens't get played as much so usually I'm good closer to 2 months on those.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:12:06 PM by MRMTAYGA »
2012 Taylor BTO 12 Fret Cocobolo/Sinker
2009 Taylor 714 Spring LTD Madagascar/Sitka
2008 Taylor DN8

revster

last june a major guitar tech from Gruhn's guitar,nashville put Daddaio ( whatever) mediums on GC7 after having elixors lights. I was worried at first put it kept the clarity of notes I wanted. might try elixor medium soon

Gary0319

• Sarasota FL USA
Both of my Taylors are Grand Concert size and both get Elixir 80/20 Nano Custom Lights (11-52). I have a light touch and the Custom Lights seem plenty to move the tops on the GC's. About 3-4 months is when I find a change is due, but I don't play the Taylors every day, either.

Gary
Taylor 612c Quilted Maple - 1994
Taylor Custom GC All Mahogany - 2010
Guild GAD30R - 2005
Recording King ROS-06 - 2010
Eastman E10 OM - 2011
Greg Bennett OM-08 - 2009
Yamaha CGX-171SCF Flamenco - old

MAS

I have tried many, many different string sets on my GS8. Elixir, Martin, Pearse, D'Addario, DR Sunbeam, Lights, Mediums, PB, 80/20, etc, etc.

I have finally settled at D'Addario EJ16 on the top end, and EJ17 on the bottom end. When it's time to order more strings, I will order the EJ19 bluegrass set with the hope that they sound & play the same as my current setup.

I'm new to this, so take it with a grain. ;) This is just what I like right now.
Guitars:
Taylor GS8e
Breedlove D200 Atlas

Ukuleles:
KoAloha Pineapple Soprano (All Koa)
KoAloha Super Concert

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
Depends on the guitar.  The most common string that I use is Elixir Nano 80/20 lights.  I have very good luck with them.  I try to extend the longevity by always washing my hands first, and wiping down the strings with a rag before and after playing.  I usually get about 3 months out of a set. 
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin