Author Topic: Feedback busters with your guitar?  (Read 9822 times)

DMBfan41

Feedback busters with your guitar?
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:34:18 PM »
Hey there.  Just wondering how many out there are have ever thought about or come to need a feedback buster in your guitar?

Generally, these are just a simple soundhole covers that prevent the PA or stage monitors from introducing sound into the soundhole.

Below is a google link if you are unfamiliar with this.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=feedback+buster&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

So, been busting feedback lately?
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Feedback busters with your guitar?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:36:09 AM »
One of my friends used to use one...for along...long time, then one day he took it out...and I haven't seen him with it.  When I play with him, I didn't really notice a difference between him with the buster and without the buster.

Do you use one?
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:27:18 AM »
I've used one in loud settings, especially when the stage mix is too high and the floor wedges are threatening to feedback into my guitar.  I've had several guitars with soundboard transducer pickups (K&K PWMs, mostly) and they are susceptible to it.  The ES is too, but not as much.  So I keep a black rubber feedback buster in my gig bag just in case.  It fits the sound hole on all my guitars and can come in handy in a pinch.   
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »
FWIW, I've played in loud settings, drummer, bass cab, floor wedges ...and my Taylor has never fed back into the system.  The ES systems are the most feedback-resistant systems I have ever personally experienced ...one of the very reasons I prefer the ES to everything else as it is not for pure tonal considerations but an all-in-sum decision that I love the ES.

By contrast, I've had to use a sound plug on an old Ovation ...a stellar stage guitar but still would feedback, nevertheless.   Pros on a big stage use sound-hole plugs even on their ES guits (I can thaink of Dave Mattews, for example), because their stage volume is far beyond what this hack will ever see.  Unless you're a pro act on a loud stage, I seriously doubt you'll need any feedback "busting" when running an ES properly EQ'd ..heck, even dead-flat EQ you'd be fine :)

Edward

DMBfan41

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
FWIW, I've played in loud settings, drummer, bass cab, floor wedges ...and my Taylor has never fed back into the system.  The ES systems are the most feedback-resistant systems I have ever personally experienced ...one of the very reasons I prefer the ES to everything else as it is not for pure tonal considerations but an all-in-sum decision that I love the ES.

By contrast, I've had to use a sound plug on an old Ovation ...a stellar stage guitar but still would feedback, nevertheless.   Pros on a big stage use sound-hole plugs even on their ES guits (I can thaink of Dave Mattews, for example), because their stage volume is far beyond what this hack will ever see.  Unless you're a pro act on a loud stage, I seriously doubt you'll need any feedback "busting" when running an ES properly EQ'd ..heck, even dead-flat EQ you'd be fine :)

Edward

Thanks for the input.  I've always heard Taylor is less prone to this issue.  I personally have rarely experienced a feedback issue.  There is only one time in particular but in that case, stage monitors were blaring and we had sidefills at the rear.

Matthews uses one on his Taylors because he doesn't use the ES but Fishman instead.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »
i haven't had to use one, save for a guitar that had an iBeam active only in it

i'm wondering if one of these might be an alternative, if one needs 'some'
feedback control, especially if the guitar still might be heard acoustically
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_musical-instruments/182-9386868-9325127?
_encoding=UTF8&node=11091801&field-brandtextbin=The%20Lute%20Hole%20Company

there are other than can get pretty pricey (koa, rosewood & cocobolo) ... pretty nice, though
http://www.lutehole.com/lutehole.php
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:38:43 PM »
I used one pretty regular on my Alvarez AJ60sc as it would produce feedback.  With my 814, I've never once had an issue where I would need it.  My feedback buster stays in the case with the Alvarez.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 10:29:31 PM »
Hey DMB,

Doh ...I just now realized what your forum handle means ...yeah, I can be slow!  :)
Didn't know he used the Fishman and not ES ...interesting tidbit and explains a lot.  Thanks for that info ...and figures you'd know, eh?  ;)

Edward

DMBfan41

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 11:00:17 PM »
Hey DMB,

Doh ...I just now realized what your forum handle means ...yeah, I can be slow!  :)
Didn't know he used the Fishman and not ES ...interesting tidbit and explains a lot.  Thanks for that info ...and figures you'd know, eh?  ;)

Edward

Avid fan.  #41 best song (according to the wife).

Regarding the electronics, early on Dave used the Fishman Acoustic Matrix Natural pickup and preamp system.  Since it discontinuation, he currently uses the Matrix Infinity system. 
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 12:09:20 AM »
i'm reasonably certain that Dave has a 00 914c with NT neck that has the ES in it -
whether he uses it, or had the ES updated, i am unsure ... a lot changes in 8 years ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Iplay2

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
I use one with my 710 when I am running pretty loud due to the K&K pickup.  It is a fantstic pickup, but it will feedback when it gets too hot.  I have never had any issue with my ES systems. 

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:00:39 PM »
Hey there.  Just wondering how many out there are have ever thought about or come to need a feedback buster in your guitar?

Thanks for asking this question! I actually was going to ask what the function of these soundhole covers were and did not know until this thread what their purpose was!
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

Magster24

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »
I don't own one, but I actually really like the look of some of the wood carved ones.

As most have stated, with the ES, I really haven't found a need for it yet...

Oh well...
- Aaron

Guitars:
Taylor 614ce ('07)
Taylor 612ce ('10) - my wife's
Taylor BT3 Baby Maple ('07)
Yamaha G-235 (late '70s) Classical
Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele ('11)