Author Topic: Lessons, or self taught?  (Read 19079 times)

McGruder

Re: Lessons, or self taught?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52:25 AM »
My learning process has been all over the map. I started out learning from Mel Bay (and the like) books, and got some pointers from a guitar instructor that was dating my sister for a time.  As resources started becoming available on the internet, I started leveraging that, but as was mentioned, sometimes you get something that sounds like the song as opposed to the real deal, which often sounds a lot better.  I found that disappointing in particular when I discovered that there was a right way to play Neil Young's "Tell Me Why", contrary to what I picked up and practiced for many hours on someone's best interpretation.  Best to make sure you're getting the real deal for songs that you really care about.  Sometimes you can find video of the artist performing the song to verify the accuracy of what you find on the net.

DVD instructions are another great resource.  In particular the Stefan Grossman instructional videos are fabulous for fingerstyle guitar and the blues idiom.  He also provides a wealth of information to supplement the instruction, including discussion about the original artist and their technique, music theory, and historical origins of music.  The fretboard and picking hand shots are easy to learn from.  Can't recommend his videos enough.

I think working with an instructor is something that should at least be explored.  I spent about a year with an instructor, and it wasn't ideal, but I did pick up a good bit of theory from him, that I don't believe I would have gotten around to on my own.  For example, discussions about tonal centers, chord families and progressions, and how 7th and minor chords are used in music. He would point out the compositional excellence in certain songs that made the music theory points he was teaching me.  Having said that, there are good teachers and bad teachers.  You have to let them know what you want to do, and be willing to follow and work with their approach to learning.

I also recommend the book "Fretboard Logic" for learning the CAGED System as a means for breaking out of the open chords and understanding chords and scales over the entire neck of the guitar.

Playing along with music, and using a metronome are good ways to establish timing.  So is playing along with others, which is the one area I have never taken advantage of.  Guitar seminars and camps are also good learning experiences, although I think this method is best suited to more advanced players.
-Ken

2011 Taylor GS8
   1999 Martin D-28
   2005 Martin D-15M

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »
I kinda feel like I'm in a rut right now.
After much practice, on my own with books/YouTube/tab-sites, I can move around pretty easily on the most common chords and can play the intro to several songs, but only know a couple all the way through (mainly carols).  When I practice now it consists of me running through most of what I know, and then I just noodle around with arpeggio's and double/triple stops for the rest of the time. 

I feel like my progress has stalled, maybe it's time to take some formal lessons...  It's just so hard to set up a time because my schedule varies week by week. 
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
I kinda feel like I'm in a rut right now.
After much practice, on my own with books/YouTube/tab-sites, I can move around pretty easily on the most common chords and can play the intro to several songs, but only know a couple all the way through (mainly carols).  When I practice now it consists of me running through most of what I know, and then I just noodle around with arpeggio's and double/triple stops for the rest of the time. 

I feel like my progress has stalled, maybe it's time to take some formal lessons...  It's just so hard to set up a time because my schedule varies week by week. 
-K

I think you need to find someone in your area who is a better guitar player than you are and who wants to jam.  Get together and just play and let them push you to do more.  If you have someone around you who challenges you and inspires you to better things, then you will get better and out of that ole' rut!!! 
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 06:57:51 AM »

I think you need to find someone in your area who is a better guitar player than you are and who wants to jam.  Get together and just play and let them push you to do more.  If you have someone around you who challenges you and inspires you to better things, then you will get better and out of that ole' rut!!!

This is a great advice. I've been hoping to try it for a while, it did wonders for my golf when I played with better players (almost anybody who plays golf is better than me  :) ). So I thought I'd try the same with guitar; unfortunately can't find any other guitar players around my way  :(

Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.