Author Topic: Baggs PADI - What do I need to know?  (Read 3467 times)

markallen

Baggs PADI - What do I need to know?
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
I've just purchased a PADI which should arrive int he next couple days. Any good advice on using it with an ES system? Prior to the PADI, I've just been plugging into a small board or directly into a Schertler Unico amp. Not sure exactly what I'm looking for other than some general guidance from this wonderful group so I can reduce the learning curve a bit.

Thanks,
Mark

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
Re: Baggs PADI - What do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 08:04:58 AM »
Is your guitar is Expression System equipped, when plugging into your Unico, what type of cable have you been using and into which input of your amp have you been using?

markallen

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:30:40 AM »
Is your guitar is Expression System equipped, when plugging into your Unico, what type of cable have you been using and into which input of your amp have you been using?

Yes, I have the ES on my guitar and I'm presently running TRS/XLR from guitar to Unico and there is a lot of noise.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 11:17:31 AM »
The PADI is a good unit ...I used mine for years until I decided to go to the Venue, which BTW lacks one great feature the PADI has: phantom power.  Ugh, no idea why Baggs would drop such a key feature!!

In any event, experiment plugging into your PADI with balanced and unbalanced guitar cables.  I used to go all balanced with an in-line matching transformer going into the DI, but after some experimenting, simply found no advantage.  Regular guitar cable stright into the PADI was equally quiet (no quieter than dead quiet :) ).  Adjust the gain for the differing input signal strength and I got the same great tones and same dynamics, just one less thing to setup/tear down.  Food for thought, anyway :)

Edward

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »

Yes, I have the ES on my guitar and I'm presently running TRS/XLR from guitar to Unico and there is a lot of noise.

Is the Expression System in your guitar equipped with a fuse? If so, and the fuse is blown, that could account for the noise.

Because the PADI does not have a low-impedance, balanced input. You will likely get the best results plugging the XLR side of your cable into a $20 Radio Shack impedance transformer and then plugging the transformer into the PADI. Then you can connect your PADI to your Unico using the DI output.

markallen

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, Not sure if I have a fuse or not, but the ES is a 2010 9 volt model. Where should I look for the fuse?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »
Hi Mark,

I've personally never seen or known anyone who's blown a fuse, but it is there as a safety precaution (so as to isolate the player from a bad ground/short in the AC which could zap you you).  It is located under the bridge,  IIRC.  A quick call to Taylor will tell you how to check it in short order.

Edward