Author Topic: Humidity affecting sound?  (Read 2619 times)

Jannie

Humidity affecting sound?
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
I live in the NW where it's humid most of the time. My apt this winter runs between 42% and 51% on average. Outdoors it will be 80+% on a cloudy day which is normal. Someone from here asked Bob Taylor about dealing with our humidity (it's in the questions and answers) and he said not to worry about it- Taylor gets their spruce from an area near here.

My GC3 has been driving me nuts and it just occurred to me today that it might be because of the humidity. I also think when the humidity is up that I've been blaming the soul less sound on the strings, and that's when I try yet another brand or type, im on my 9th set. Today I was bummed, the sound was all there, I guess it was doing what it was supposed to and the action was very nice- so why wasn't I enthused when last night I thought my guitar had soul, finally!!!

It wasn't that it sounded tight or really dead, there just wasn't anything special about the sound at all and I'd blamed it on my hearing or strings that seem to do something I don't understand. It's crazy when you know that yesterday I had the best sounding Taylor ever made.

All I know is that last night with two day old EJ19 Bluegrass strings, I had finally found its sweet spot. This afternoon I went to Utube and listened to Martin vs Taylor guitar samples.

So most  of these last few weeks the humidity has been around 50% in my apartment, I thought that was fine but at a Martin show and tell a couple of nights ago Richard Starkey from Martin said watch out if it gets up to 50%. I have never met anyone here I the NW who did anything about he humidity issue, now that I've been reading here and mention it to someone else they just look at me like I've turned super geek.

How do I dry out my apartment and should I. Please tell me Im just imagining this, I swear the sound this afternoon was so lackluster that I was ready to give up playing completely.

I did notice at the Martin show that they tuned all of about 15 guitars early evening just before and then were real puzzled because as they picked up each guitar to demo, they were out of tune. I doubt very much if the shop had any humidity control.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:10:32 PM by Jannie »

Jannie

Re: Humidity affecting sound?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
Sorry about my terrible iPhone typing.

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Jannie, my guitars change with the humidity also. I don't have to worry much here either (we're near the coast, so it stays reasonably humid) but in the summer it can get up over 70% humidity. My EC in particular sounds utterly dead when it's that high! So I tend to leave it in the case in summer and play it in winter. My 000-18, on the other hand, does fine in the summer.

My GC-5 does not seem to be affected much either, thankfully. Maybe the mahogany in the GC and 000-18 makes the difference?
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:08:40 AM »
Maybe a dehumidifier for the room?  I wonder if that might do the trick...not sure.  My folks used one in our old basement back when I was a little kid...and man, that think would pull tons of moister from the air.
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Jannie

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:48:43 AM »
Where do you even find something like that? Fred Meyer? Home Depot?

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:36:05 AM »
IMHO, if your apt is 41-50% , that should be excellent for your guitar.Do you keep it in the case when not playing?
I have the Planet Waves Humidipaks in all my guitars. They not only provide 27 grams of water/packet, but also absorb up to 11 grams /packet.
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:54:32 AM »
Jannie,

If the humidity in your apartment is between 41 and 50 percent, you should be in good shape.  I also live in the Pacific Northwest, and I have the opposite problem:  my humidity indoors is in the 30s due to the heater drying out the air.  I keep the good guitars in their cases and use HumidPaks, which keep the humidity at about 50 percent.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
Your inside humidity range seems good ... high humidities certainly affect the guitar tone and resonance but we're talking 70+ I'd say ...

Other things that affect what you percieve would be: 
1) acoustics of the room you're playing in
2) how close to a reflective surface you are sitting
3) strings
4) your health (hearing/congestion etc)

I find I enjoy my Taylor's acoustic tone best in a spare bedroom with hardwood floors and lower ceiling ... I can hear my tone reflected back to my ears better there ... 
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

Jannie

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »
Thank you, yes my ears are part of it I know and I've tried to pick instruments to work well with my hearing knowing I may need to adjust by trying different strings and in this case I changed the saddle, and I do need to play it in a different location sometime, just to get perspective. But thanks for the info on the humidity, at least I can rule that out and yes I keep it in the case when not in use.

Okay I thought, I'll try playing in the bedroom, same carpet and walls but what a difference, full, rich, a completely different guitar. I've played while sitting on my couch for so long it has me wondering what the original set of strings sounded like.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:08:43 PM by Jannie »