Author Topic: For pleasure, for money, or an addiction?  (Read 9146 times)

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
Re: For pleasure, for money, or an addiction?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »
Not good enough to play for money; I play for pleasure, although I would hate to have to stop, so there may be an element of addiction.

I'm also hoping that the daily challenge will keep my grey matter active and prevent me from vegetating in retirement.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
Pleasure
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »
I'm square in the pleasure category.

Although, like you, I do find myself picking up a guitar when I should be doing other things (honey-do list). And I do miss my guitars when I'm not at home. And ... OK, so throw in a light addiction.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »
 I play guitar to support my singing habit, which is an addiction and if I get paid, then all the better!!!!
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

bloosman1

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »
I'm at home (in my apt.) after work, I look at my axes, I pick up my new(est) axe, plug it in to my 1/2 stack through my M-13 effects pedal (it's 0730), I turn on the standby and start writing.... My life is now good, all of my problems fade... am I addicted? Or am I doing the sanest thing I can? After an hour, I feel renewed, and I am strong again. I go to bed (I work at night) feeling blessed. Am I an addict? I don't know. I've made money in this pursuit, I have also suffered from it (personalities etc.) I will never stop, I am driven, life is sound.

---J---
Amps:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
1960A Cab
Fender Pro Jr.
Orange AD30 TC
Pignose
Axes:
2009 Fender American Strat
1981 Fender Strat (moded)
2004 Fender Highway 1 Strat
1995 Fender MIM "Frankenstrat"
2004 Gibson SG "Gothic"
2007 Gibson Les Paul Swampash
2011 Taylor SB2-S w/trem
2006 Taylor 210E acoustic

acmeseed

• Computer Services
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
I'm at home (in my apt.) after work, I look at my axes, I pick up my new(est) axe, plug it in to my 1/2 stack through my M-13 effects pedal (it's 0730), I turn on the standby and start writing.... My life is now good, all of my problems fade... am I addicted? Or am I doing the sanest thing I can? After an hour, I feel renewed, and I am strong again. I go to bed (I work at night) feeling blessed. Am I an addict? I don't know. I've made money in this pursuit, I have also suffered from it (personalities etc.) I will never stop, I am driven, life is sound.

---J---

I think you have the makings of a song in the above, perhaps a blues tune?
Mike

Roseadi

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »
Today I play for pleasure, family, friends and sometimes my neighbors when I play on the porch.

Back in the 70's I played for money but found that it wasn't a good idea to do what I love for money. It took the pleasure out of it. I guess that means I value the pleasure more than the notoriety and I don't need the money. But I sure do love to go out and hear other people play, and will gladly give them MY money to hear them!!!

Heck, I'll take this topic one step further. Anymore I only play stuff I've written. There's just no better feeling than fingers working on auto pilot playing what I'm hearing in my head! ( I must be narcissistic!) And, why would I want to play a bad rendition of someone else's tune when I can play a perfect rendition of my own, Ha Ha. No Blackbird, Stairway to Heaven, or Dust in the wind for me!!
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

Jannie

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 11:26:19 PM »
I love the sound, I really, really love the sound.

It's fun, I get to invent things.

It exercises and challenges my right brain - left brain thinking.

It makes me mellow, it sorts a little of what they like to call ADD and gives me a really enjoyable thing to focus on instead if spending too much time analyzing other things.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 07:18:51 AM »
... wasn't a good idea to do what I love for money. It took the pleasure out of it.

+1 and then some. Though I'm not saying we don't have to work for a living, this is the dilemma with a musical career for most (unless you are just outrageously talented).

Been trying to convince my daughter, who sings like an angel, to consider this very thing before launching into a singing career. I would hate to see her lose the love she has for singing because of the hard knocks that inevitably come with a musical career.

And then again, it's wonderful to have a career doing what you love. I don't know. Just a bunch of dribble I guess. I'll shut-up now!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 12:44:52 AM »
I started playing guitar when I was 11... a Sears acoustic that played like a surfboard (but I didn't know the difference).  My Mother said, "If you get a guitar, you can't live in this house."  May have had something to do with my late Father, his addictive ways, and his musical inclination.  He died when I was really small, but I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, and that was what I wanted!  And really - no one is going to throw an 11 year old out of the house.  ;)

By the time I was 12, I was in a band... and had moved up to a $40 Recco electric guitar (yes, it really did make my fingers bleed) and a Silvertone piggyback amp.  We played almost every weekend - had to have parents drive us to jobs, 'cause we were all too young to drive.  When I was 13, I got my dream guitar: a Gibson ES-335-TDC.  I still have it; I'll probably be buried with it.  I'm kidding... don't wanna be in a box.

I played in a series of bands, mostly horn bands (this was the late 60s/early 70s - think: Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Buddy Miles, Sly & the Family Stone).  Quit college first time around to go full time on the road.  If any of you are from the midwest (and old enough), you might remember The Flippers.  I didn't get rich, but I did make a decent living doing what I loved.  Got off the road to marry my high school sweetheart.  Went back to school again and played in a duo to make ends meet.  Moved on to another local rock band.  I never considered myself a great musician, but I was always able to find us jobs and work with good agents (and I was smart enough to be in bands with great musicians... singing was my better talent, but the guitar kept me in bands).

By my mid-20s, a different career path, leading to us owning our own businesses.  For the past 30+ years, I played mostly for an audience of one: yeah, that same high school sweetheart.  There were the occasional invites to get on stage, and it was always fun.  In retirement, I have done some seasonal boat captain jobs (I have a Master License).  This past summer, I played for a marina party... the first 3 hour gig I've done in 30 years.  And it was a blast!

So, it started as a pleasurable dream, fed us for well over a decade, and has been a real pleasure all the time.  Not an addiction, since that brings up less than positive connotations, but has been a constant in my life for over 40 years.  I've owned some nice guitars over the years, but don't consider myself a collector... I'm really impressed by the depth of knowledge of guitars, woods, etc, that I see on this forum.  If this were a wine forum, I'd be the guy drinking the box stuff.  8)  I've bought guitars because they "felt right," and had the sound I was looking for.  That's what led me to this Taylor.  Compared to what I see on the Taylor site and here, mine is an "entry level" model.  I played a bunch of 'em, and this one felt the best to me.

Yep, it's a real pleasure.

It's been a long time since I've been in the company of a bunch of musicians - sorry if I rambled on.  This guitar makes me want to play more.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 07:34:54 AM »
Great story Cappy. Thanks for sharing it with us. Now I am going to google The Flippers...  8)

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 12:28:14 AM »
For pleasure.  My biggest fans these days are my two miniature dachshunds.

;D
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 10:12:31 AM »
Great story Cappy. Thanks for sharing it with us. Now I am going to google The Flippers...  8)

Jim

+1 ... enjoyed the read
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

jjracer

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »
pretty much play for pleasure,  once a month me and my music partner play a little coffee house for tips, (if we get any)

really like to get together with other guitarists and just play

it's is not an addiction but sooths the afflictions,  a good positive release.  Especially prior to bedtime.
Guitars? Yes still have them
If I'm not here....... I am somewhere else