Author Topic: For pleasure, for money, or an addiction?  (Read 9147 times)

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
For pleasure, for money, or an addiction?
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »
Which best describes your playing habit? Do you play for pleasure, personal or otherwise? Do you play for money? Or is it an addiction?

In my case it is for personal pleasure, bordering on addiction. I know I have to get my taxes done, but I keep picking up my guitar instead. I sometimes stay up to bed to play long after the wife goes, and it's usually the first thing I go for after I get home from work. Do you have the same "problem?"

Jim
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:40:59 PM by roadbiker »
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

sachi

• Veteran Member
Re: For pleasure, for money, or an addiction?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »
For pleasure, not rising to an addiction.

PS . . . "After the wife goes to bed to play" doesn't quite mean what you intended. ;)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:58:37 PM by sachi »
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »
For pleasure, not rising to an addiction.

PS . . . "After the wife goes to bed to play" doesn't quite mean what you intended. ;)

Pretty funny - thanks for pointing that out :) I corrected it.
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »
I started playing for pleasure, then it turned into an addiction, and then I did it for money.

It started to feel like a second job, and I neither wanted or need a second job, so I stopped playing.

That was 2005.

Nowadays, I pick up a guitar, maybe, two or three time every few months...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »
Anyone who can play music "for the money" has got my respect!
...That I ever even get asked to play or come back is good enough for me!  That defines the "pleasure" in my book!!! 
:D  :D  :D

Edward

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »
I started playing for pleasure, then it turned into an addiction, and then I did it for money.

It started to feel like a second job, and I neither wanted or need a second job, so I stopped playing.

That was 2005.

Nowadays, I pick up a guitar, maybe, two or three time every few months...

Two or three times every few months?? So can I ask what brings you to a guitar forum like this?

As for the original question, definitely for personal pleasure only.

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »
For pleasure.
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »
I started playing originally to impress females  ;) when a knee injury ended my athletic ambitions. It worked to my pleasure  ;D
and became an addiction.I have never been a great player, but I've a good set of pipes, natural timing,and no stage fear. One thing led to another,and living rooms turned into parties,parties turned into small bars,small bars turned into larger bars.Exposure led to studio work,which increased the money. Nowadays, I play mostly for pleasure to quench my addiction,with an occasional side man gig for money.
I also do a little pro-bono teaching, to encourage others, to help preserve what I see as a diminishing art form. With today's technology,
unless you're sitting w/someone playing acoustic,you never know exactly what you're hearing.  "Is it live,or is it Memorex"? All the modelers,loopers,pitch correctors,auto harmonizers,etc. give me the willies.Guess I'm just a little old fashioned.
Oh yeah. Somewhere along the way I developed a knack for working on'em too,which saved money as well as making a little.
  "That's my story--- and I'm, stickin" to it!"
Steve

edited for language
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:13:21 PM by michaelw »
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

acmeseed

• Computer Services
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:51:45 PM »
I play for pleasure, to share with my family and play in church without pay for fun and to show my kids that going to church could be a little less boring  :)

I started playing in my mid teens, played pretty much steady for 10 years and made some money, but nothing to write home about. I never looked at it as a long time endeavor. I dropped out of playing regularly for about 27 years. I picked it up about 3 years ago prompted by my 7 & 4 year old showing a lot of interest in music; I figure I'll expose them to playing music and if it sticks it will be a gift they can carry through their lives.

When it comes to guitar playing one of the saddest statements I read is "I wish I would have stuck with it" yeap, that's me.
Mike

DMBfan41

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »
Pleasure in my cup.

And for those that enjoy drinking from the same cup.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
Two or three times every few months?? So can I ask what brings you to a guitar forum like this?

Well, I dig 'em. It's just that, these days, I'm far more likely to shoot pictures of them than play them.

Besides, I've got a pretty extensive knowledge of most things Taylor, so why not?

;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:41:39 AM by Left Coaster »
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »
An addictive pleasure, for sure.  I've been paid to play, but I'm certainly not doing it for the money.  Played at church for a few years then quietly walked away.  Have had the pleasure of playing on the stages of a few of the more popular bars/clubs in the Midwest over the years, as well as a handfull of corporate events and private parties.  Nowadays, it's primarily coffee shops, farmer's markets and local community events.  I'll sit in, now and again, with a friend on his restaurant lounge gigs, and will drop in on a local open mic when there's nothing going on at home on a Friday night. 

Reading this it sounds like a lot,  but it works out being only a couple times a month...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
An "addictive pleasure", I like that.  Definitely pleasure on my part as well as the challenge to improve, learn more songs.  A campfire or my front porch in summer is as far as my "gigging" goes and that's just fine with me.
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

Walt Q.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »
Been playing for over 30 years strictly for pleasure.  It's a constant source of pleasure and a great stress reliever.  I guess it's an addiction too, because I can't imagine life without a guitar. 
Taylor 314ce
Silver Creek T-170
Fender American Standard Stratocaster

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
For pleasure/therapy and personal expression ... that's how it started out for me and that hasn't changed over the years ... I laid it down for a while when life got busy with family and work, but it came back like a storm a few years ago ...

I played for money for about an 8 to 10 year stretch in my younger days ... but even then, it was for pleasure ... it's just that with the money I also had the added pleasure of being able to afford some better instruments and equipment (not to mention the company and fellowship of some good musicians) ... :)

-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com