Author Topic: It looks like the R. Taylor website is back up...?  (Read 5184 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
It looks like the R. Taylor website is back up...?
« on: December 14, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »
It looks like the R. Taylor website is back up...has anyone else noticed this?  I wonder if they decided to keep the line up and running........?
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: It looks like the R. Taylor website is back up...?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »
the site was down for a very short time & it showed a page for a domain name site, but it's been back up for a while -
Jim & Ted are authorized RT dealers & i'm pretty sure the 'cut-off' date to submit an order was sometime last month

i would think they would leave the site up, even though they will be on haitus doing builder's reserve & other models &
that along with Taylor revamp of all their sites on the web, that they would update the RT site too (price list is from 09)

i would guess, from the F & F sale, that there might have still been some RTs left -
i wonder if they will go to dealers or if they will be available at the factory or other
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »
...i would guess, from the F & F sale, that there might have still been some RTs left -
i wonder if they will go to dealers or if they will be available at the factory or other

Maybe James and Davir (did I get that right?) can chime in, but I can tell you that from what I saw there were only 08 and 09 RTs at the F&F event.  I did not see anything newer.  Maybe these were hanging around at various dealers over the years?  One guy on the floor (FWIW) said that it may even be that some were travelling around at various NAMMs, which could explain at least in part why some remain unsold for so long.  After all, it's not like any one of these RTs were grotesque anomalies that could not get sold...

Edward

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 05:47:45 AM »
Apparently about half of the RTs for sale at the F&F event were originally returned from Europe, unsold. Mine was, I found out.  It clearly was new though. I actually didn't even notice until I got it home that it was a 2007 model! I don't know if there was 2011 stuff, I wasn't looking at serial numbers, just staring at Coco, Macassar, Madagascar, Koa, Walnut and other exotic beauties!

The other half were likely cancelled orders or possibly Namm type stuff..

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »
it's not like any one of these RTs were grotesque anomalies that could not get sold...

Toward the end of the sale, there were still some R. Taylors that hadn't sold. I suspect we may see some of them again at next year's sale, if there is one. One that I almost picked up, an all-mahogany Style 1, had a satisfying raw rumble to it. I was about to pick it when I instead found the one I ended up with. So perhaps if finances permit next year...  ;)
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Terry

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
I wonder how much greater appeal R. Taylor would have had as a brand, if it didn't reference Taylor?  The same guitars with a story about a group of luthiers toiling away in some remote part of the land might well have been more enticing to some potential buyers.
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 12:39:13 AM »
On the other hand (and I say this because I suspect most R Taylor owners first owned "regular" Taylors) I don't think a 4-builder shop selling $$$$ guitars could easily get off the ground without a reputation/association with another brand. Not to mention financial backing...
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Terry

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 09:47:21 AM »
On the other hand (and I say this because I suspect most R Taylor owners first owned "regular" Taylors) I don't think a 4-builder shop selling $$$$ guitars could easily get off the ground without a reputation/association with another brand. Not to mention financial backing...
Excellent point James. It truly is one of those "chicken or the egg" deals.  Nor would a small shop have the resources to jump into it in such a big way.
I recently heard a Merrill and while it was good sounding, in my mind, it was not twice the value of a comparable R. Taylor. Then again, every guitar has a distinctive sound. 
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »
I wonder how much greater appeal R. Taylor would have had as a brand, if it didn't reference Taylor?  The same guitars with a story about a group of luthiers toiling away in some remote part of the land might well have been more enticing to some potential buyers.
Terry

in other areas, there are companies that have expanded to where their 'next level' has a separate 'brand' designation &
others to where the have kept the brand the same & added to their overall line up of offerings, both done successfully

it would have been different if these luthiers had decided to start up their own company, i believe, although it most likely could have been done -
almost like starting over again, but with years of experiences under their belts & technology & processes that were not readily available 'back then'

there have been luthiers that have worked for large scale & very 'name recognizable' companies & builders
that have 'gone out on their own' & many have done quite well, but i would say that their background also
contributed a good bit (a solid 'base') in terms of level of craftsmanship & initial voicing of their instruments

on another 'note', i also wonder how/where Taylor would be today, if the model line, build processes &
marketing strategy they used in 96 were not further refined, redesigned or otherwise radically changed ???
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:27:29 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

dkoloff

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
Terry

Not sure an issue.....we all know GM builds Cadillac....Lexus by Toyota and so on. I just think an incorporated specialty Taylor would have been just as good as long as they could distinguish the lineup.
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »
Lots has been said about whether R.Taylor should have retained the "Taylor" name, product differentiation, etc ....  Lots of marketing speculation there that clearly can justify either end of the argument.  But I personally think Bob and Co. did absolute the right thing by branding this upper echelon guitar the way they did.  Not just for all the reasons already mentioned, but also for the solid and established brand that Taylor is in terms of the public's faith that the company will continue to exist and support its high-priced products.  You just can't establish immediate public trust in an upstart company ...regardless of how the ad copy would have read, it is simply too risky for folks wanting to drop that much coin into a "luxury item," regardless of who is "behind" it, not to mention ad copy is simply perceived as that: advertising spin.  If one is spending high dollar on a discretionary product, they want to know they can trust it not just at point of sale but well down the road.

Whatever people's opinions are on R.Taylors and whether they are "worth it," none cannot deny that they are made and backed by a strong, innovative company that not only has stood the test over decades (particularly in this down exconomy), but exudes corporate "health" as evidenced by everything it does.  Taylor's strength as a company, within the music marketplace, and in the public's mind are facts, not opinons; and I am willing to bet Bob, Kurt. et.al. were thinking this when trying to decide on the new moniker.

Edward
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 01:34:43 PM by Edward »