Author Topic: Which 9v battery do you use?  (Read 2410 times)

joshsimpson79

Which 9v battery do you use?
« on: November 08, 2022, 05:05:06 PM »
I have two Duracell batteries side by side and one is noticeably larger than the other.  So one fits fine and one fits, but it's pretty tight.  What are your thoughts and do you have another brand that fits more consistently?
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

SDTaylorman

Re: Which 9v battery do you use?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 05:13:52 PM »
Just contact Taylor and tell them you need the new battery pack. It's slightly larger to accommodate the new 9Vs. If you're under warranty they'll send it free. If not it might cost you a few dollars but well worth it not to have to mess around choosing batteries.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 05:30:44 PM »
Sweet.  I didn't not know about this.  The issue is with my 2011 GS Mini.  Not my GT.  That would explain it.  Thanks.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 11:26:02 AM »
Yeah, 9V battery dimensions are not as standard as we might think.  Back in the day there were videos about how to cut off portions of the tabs to allow your stock battery holder to accommodate larger 9V's.  But then Taylor started making the better boxes once the problem became obvious.

I like and use Duracell in my sound meters and other field test equipment.  For over 35 years, they have performed very well for me and I always keep a supply of the common sizes on hand.  Other brands have let me down from time to time, so except for emergency situations, Duracell is all that I ever buy.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

joshsimpson79

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 03:29:49 PM »
Getting a free replacement in 7-10 days.  Thanks for the heads up.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 06:59:51 PM »
Duracell

Rene Asologuitar

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 11:30:15 AM »
I had issues with Duracell, fitting well in my Taylors.
I use Energizer, and never have any problem since then.

SDTaylorman

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 12:37:43 PM »
Getting a free replacement in 7-10 days.  Thanks for the heads up.

My pleasure...keep on pickin'!  ;)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 09:08:21 PM »
Side note: Energizer sells "pro packs" that are merely bulk packaged and a good price (depending on where you get em from as I got em through a work-related thing).  Probably not much different from a Duracell bulk pack at Costco, but heck I thought I'd put it out there. 

Fwiw, I've never had issue with either Energizer or Duracell, but long ago tried a Ray-o-vac and those suckers fit really poorly so I stuck with the former two as go-to brands.

Edward

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 11:34:22 AM »
Edward, you remind me of a quote from the Taylor rep at the very first Road Show I attended:
"Now that we buy dead batteries in bulk at Costco, customer support gets more complaints about battery issues.  Usually trying a newer and fresher battery solves the problem". 

He recommended using fresher units than the bulk packs.  That quote always stuck with me.  I'm all for saving money, but many of my uses are time critical (sometimes gigs) and a weak battery would be VERY costly.  If I've traveled to another state to set up a sound meter and expect it to log data for 24 hours, it costs thousands of dollars in lost time if it stops at 15 hours and I have to repeat the whole day in the field.  Duracell for me except in the most dire of field emergencies.  Then Energizer as a distant second choice.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 03:30:20 PM »
Hey Earl,

I get what you're saying, but it really all depends on how many one buys and how long it takes to go through them.  Definitely do not buy batteries in bulk if you don't go through em; truth!  But I do.  If a gig depends on it, the guit gets a new battery regardless of the voltage.  And I do check the voltage later when I get home to determine whether it gets tossed or saved for sound checks ...or whatever do-dads may need a 9v.  Ahhh, the beauty of an ES where a batt change takes seconds.  Clearly I cannot do this with the guits where the batt is inside, so with those I am more fastidious about checking voltage, keeping unplugged, or replacing proactively (especially the 12er since that guit gets goes a very long time between few string changes and so I plan out that batt change).  But absolutely with any equipment that must work without fail (e.g wireless handheld mics where we changed the batt every time because you can't ever have a dead mic!)

So yeah, your point is well taken. :D

Edward
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 03:32:53 PM by Edward »

Ericgilmore

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 07:44:26 AM »
I would NOT recommend Duracell batteries in anything.  I agree that they used to be great quality, however in the last 4-5 years most of their production now comes from China or Indonesia.  These batteries are pathetic for their tendency to leak in a relatively short period of time.  My job as an HVAC technician requires dealing with batteries on a daily basis so I get frequent hands on experience with leaky batteries in digital thermostats, not to mention the same results in a wide assortment of test equipment that requires batteries.  The only way i would use Duracell is to read the packaging, occasionally you still see USA made and it seems the EU ones don’t have the issue(made in Belgium) either.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 12:53:14 PM »
^^^Interesting about the leaks, though sadly not surprising.  So given the high number of batts you see and consume, what is your go-to brand?  Energizer perhaps?

Edward

SDTaylorman

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 12:58:14 PM »
I would NOT recommend Duracell batteries in anything.  I agree that they used to be great quality, however in the last 4-5 years most of their production now comes from China or Indonesia.  These batteries are pathetic for their tendency to leak in a relatively short period of time.  My job as an HVAC technician requires dealing with batteries on a daily basis so I get frequent hands on experience with leaky batteries in digital thermostats, not to mention the same results in a wide assortment of test equipment that requires batteries.  The only way i would use Duracell is to read the packaging, occasionally you still see USA made and it seems the EU ones don’t have the issue(made in Belgium) either.

I buy hundreds of batteries a year for business purposes (where people truly rely on them to work). Rarely if ever have leaking issues with any major brand...Duracell included. In fact the Duracell seem to last a little longer before running out of power and I cannot remember the last one that leaked.

Ericgilmore

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 07:39:18 PM »
Ray O Vacs are still made in USA, have good luck with them.  Energizer’s seem to come from far east too, but don’t seem to seem to have the leaking issues with them.  I stand on my statement that far east made Duracell batteries are pathetic, may their corporate officers choke on their temporary larger bonus’s.