Author Topic: Getting old is hard!  (Read 1327 times)

CeeAre

Getting old is hard!
« on: February 04, 2022, 06:16:22 PM »
So first, HNGD to me, just came home with a display model Taylor 324ce (and minus a mint Walnut Squier Strat 70's CV HSS with Hipshot tuners and a tweed Gator strat case, all traded in) from Sam Ash in Orlando and had mangaged to get them to drop the price a couple of hundred due to the scratches on the pickguard that had been acquired over the last few weeks it had been on display.  The serial number says it was built 12/2/21, so it can't have been on the shelf for too long.

So as soon as I get home I google "removing scratches from guitar pickguard" and there's good ol' StewMac with a scratch remover designed for 'zackly this, but of course you need the cleaner and "conditioner" (!!  WTF?  Conditioner?  Like for hair?) as well, so you're going to be in for a $20 spot by the time shipping, tax, dealer prep, handling, and unhandling are added.

So I take a really close look at the guard to determine 'zackly how bad the scratches are, how aggressive of a polish should I be using and...wait...what?  THE PLASTIC PROTECTIVE COATING IS STILL ON!  Well, duh!  Why would anyone have removed it, right?  So it turns out the instrument is pristine, flawless and beeee-yootiful of voice.  Considerably differently voiced than the spruce top guitars that make up the majority of the stable.  A younger set of eyes might have caught that sooner.  But come to think of it, NOT catching that saved me $200.00!  Yay getting old!

(And is five a "stable"?  Can I get away with the hubris of refering to 5 guitars, one of which technically belongs to my wife, as a "stable"?  How about "sampling", would that be more accurate?  Yeah, let's go with "sampling".)

Anyway, the playability!  Wow!  The frets let you glide effortlessly, as if skating on ice.  Except not as cold, of course.  But truly, compared to the Martin GPC13e, there is not that tiny, barely noticeable but still there, resistance/catch on the shoulder of the fret(s) one might occassionaly feel when sliding.

Picture attached with the rest of the "A team"...Taylor 254ce 12 string and the aforementioned Martin.

CeeAre
"Playing guitar since Johnson was President.  Uhhhh...Lyndon, not Andrew..."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 06:20:58 PM by CeeAre »
Playing since the Johnson administration.  Uhhh, Lyndon, not Andrew...

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
Re: Getting old is hard!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 06:36:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the purchase. As someone with a 322e I absolutely understand what you are saying. Enjoy the new addition, and yes, you can call it a stable. I have my minor son’s and my wife’s guitar in my signature so I think that is all good! I hope you get to play it for many years to come.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 06:55:19 PM »
Welcome to the group! Gotta love those 324s - love the tone and the look.  Take good care of that virginal pickguard (lol)! So glad you could join us!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

sstaylor58

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 07:19:28 PM »
Congrats, those 324’s are wonderful. Enjoy it!
Taylor 314ce
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Martin Custom OM-15
Yamaha FSX730SC
Yamaha FSX800C

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 10:56:37 PM »
Congrats. Enjoy your new guitar!
Tom (DEGG)

2021 Taylor 914CE LTD Bocote

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 07:37:01 AM »
Congratulations.  That was a good find on a sweet guitar.  Welcome to the forum CeeAre.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 10:23:28 AM »
Sounds like a great find and a great guitar. Congratulations and welcome!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 11:39:05 AM »
Welcome aboard, and a hearty congrats!  The 300 series are always solid players in all varieties; I dig em!  Not to mention nothing --but nothing-- beats the playability of a Taylor 12 ...that's a great guit.  Enjoy the stable, sir! :D

Edward
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 11:41:50 AM by Edward »

CeeAre

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 05:25:01 PM »
Thanks to all (not sure how to navigate this, would like to "reply all" ) for the welcomes.

Actually I joined last year when I got the 254ce, but I'm just not very active on forums.  Largely because of not having much to say I guess.

Did have another senior moment on this though.  After posting yesterday I noticed that I had not gotten a key for the new case!  Rats! 

I knew contacting Sam Ash was going to be a lost cause, so I emailed Taylor customer service instead, asking if they would send me a key.

After that is when I noticed the Delux Taylor cases don't have a lock!

Wonder how long the person on the other end of that email will laugh their patoot off before responding...

Getting old is hard...

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 11:44:54 AM »
Getting old is hard!

Beats the crap out of the alternative!

About the stable. Yes, one guitar can be a stable. Besides you can only ride one horse at a time. But it's real nice to have choices, and sometimes you need the right tool for the job. And I am told that variety is the spice of life.

Be well,

Don, a practicing septuagenarian. ;-)

* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

DenverSteve

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 06:26:50 PM »
Congratulations on the new guitar. I use meguiar's scratchx 2.0 cleaner on pick-guards and it works better than anything else I've used.  Of course, it doesn't do much on protective plastic cling.   :P

I believe what you have there is a gaggle of guitars.  It becomes a murder if you bring home another without checking with the wife.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 11:59:02 PM »
Congratulations on the new guitar. I use meguiar's scratchx 2.0 cleaner on pick-guards and it works better than anything else I've used.  Of course, it doesn't do much on protective plastic cling.   :P

I believe what you have there is a gaggle of guitars.  It becomes a murder if you bring home another without checking with the wife.

DS,

I believe you are talking geese and crows. 

If it's not a murder, then you might be talking a Suit of Lawyers.  8)

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2022, 10:48:40 AM »
^^^killin me Smalls! :D

Edward

CeeAre

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 02:01:37 PM »
Love that "...it becomes a murder..." line.

Yes.  Perzackly.  And no jury would convict her.

LOL!

Noobaloop

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 09:37:46 PM »
Congrats on the new guitar! I also just got a new 324ce a couple of months ago. It is my first Taylor and I love it so much! I got a good deal at GC on it. Long story short, I had been dealing with the same saleswoman over a few visits to the store and she was great to work with (wanted to be helpful enough to make a sale, but not pushy or annoying). She ended up letting me use one of her friends and family 20%off discounts. I couldn't pass it up, obviously. I hope she made a decent commission on that sale.
Anyway, it's a great guitar and I am sure it won't be my last Taylor!
Enjoy your new 324ce!
Jimmy