Author Topic: Taylor 717 Fans Sound Off  (Read 2010 times)

DenverSteve

Taylor 717 Fans Sound Off
« on: January 14, 2022, 12:57:23 AM »
I'm surprised at how little on-going discussion there is here about the 717/717e guitars.  Well, I'll step up to change that right now.. :)
As a professional player for over 30 years I have always had my favorite guitars. I have owned many Taylors from 300 series guitars to 900 and never kept any long term.  When the 717's came out I was intrigued by the look and  astounded at the tone. These are great guitars and I've not played one that couldn't sustain forever. 

Once I got rid of the overly-tight medium Elixir's, the guitar not only sounded great but it played great also.  Honestly, I feel that these are Taylor's best guitars to date.  They've always made great guitars that played well but the 717 takes every bar that Taylor has set for decades - and raises them.  I will say that my guitar, as well as those from many posters/reviewers on line has the highest action of any Taylor I've ever played. That, of course, is the least concern I have for a guitar as it is about the easiest characteristic of a guitar (with a proper neck angle) to set to suit the individual.  Once set up properly, with a full set up (not just a neck tweak or saddle shave), it plays as well as anything. It also gets rave reviews on looks as it really comes across as with a true vintage vibe both in tone and looks.  Please post up your 717 experience.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:14:21 AM by DenverSteve »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Taylor 717 Fans Sound Off
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 07:42:56 AM »
I haven't played one yet, so I can't add anything in that regard. I will say that yours definitely  has the classic, vintage look. I also find a real beauty in satin finishes, to the point where I prefer them in many circumstances. Enjoy!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

royzaboy

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 02:31:58 PM »
I love my 717e. Like DenverSteve, the action on mine was quite high, but a good setup took care of that.  I took off the Elixirs  and put on Santa Cruz Medium Tensions and am very pleased.  Compared to my 414ce, the 717 is much warmer and a bit louder.  I think Andy hit the sweet spot with redwood and terrified spruce.  It sounds like a well played and broken in guitar. 

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 08:12:15 PM »
I haven't played a 717, but I'm really very fond of my 327...

DenverSteve

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 04:19:22 PM »
My 717 is loud, ringing and after settling in, had buzzy G & B strings. Consequently, the plugged in sound was amplifying the buzzing.  After reading lots of on-line reports on buzzing and pick-up issues, I contacted Taylor and was told that my guitar "must have played in faster than normal....."  I was told to take it to a Taylor repair site and have it looked at.  Dropped it off Wednesday and got the call today that it was ready.  The tech had to straighten the neck due to too much back-bow from the factory and then reset the neck with a new shim to get the action down where it should be.  Now she plays like butter and how a Taylor should play. 

I've read from many that the set up on these isn't typical Taylor and I agree.  However, one of the great things about Taylor acoustics is that, in knowledgeable hands, a full tune up - including neck set - is minutes instead of months.  She's now ready for what she was purchased for.  Good on Taylor for authorizing the service on a new guitar.

DenverSteve

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 04:24:42 PM »
I haven't played a 717, but I'm really very fond of my 327...

I've come to realize the changes in Taylor with Andy P. have taken this much time for a reason.  All his early changes with bracing and updates - were on existing Taylor models. By simply rebracing the guitars he (Andy) had little ability to change much about the guitars. Consequently, the new bracing he was bringing out didn't do anything for me.  With the new releases like Builder's Edition and Grand Pacific guitar designs, from the bench up, are all Powers.  Now they are starting to be different, and to me, better than Taylor's have ever been.  Of course, if your a huge fan of 90s and 00s Taylors, you may not appreciate the new direction. 

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 05:54:35 PM »
Steve, I have to agree with much of what you said.  It so happens that I played a 517-BE yesterday at my LGS.  It was very nice in both sound and feel.  I liked the silent satin finish and the burst on the top.  And the feel of the neck.  I am not a fan of V-bracing, mostly because a) it doesn't do anything apparent for my playing style and b) the extreme hyperbole on the initial introduction was so over the top that I am permanently soured on the idea.  I still think that the pinnacle of Taylor tone was the Advanced Performance X-bracing, but the GP's are quite nice too.  There is room for both viewpoints, I guess.  The absolute best Taylor guitar that I have ever played was a 522 from about 3-4 years ago which pre-dated the V-bracing.  While it did not come home with me, I was sorely tempted by a new Taylor guitar - for the first time in years.

I have met Andy twice and he is a really nice guy and extremely smart.  No doubt that he has forgotten more about guitars and building them than I will ever know.  V-bracing seems tailored (pun intended) to the GP models, and it works well there.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

themissal

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 05:40:58 AM »
I didn’t pull the trigger, but Russo Music in Asbury Park has two 717s in stock. One is new, and the other consigned. The used one is technically overpriced, but is absolutely fantastic.

I actually went in with the idea of buying a 000-28. And then I played the used 717 and had to go calm down.

Still proud that I haven’t bought it yet :)

(Too many guitars as is)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:54:56 PM »
I like the GP, personally.  The few that I've had in my hands are excellent examples of the "dred thing" that makes the large body guits attractive.  I'd be interested in a GP were it not for already having two superb DNs: one of them a modest 210dlx that has no business being that good a guitar, and an 08 custom that has been my go-to live guit for over a decade (just got a refret I played it so much!).

Good thread!  I'm personally bummed that Taylor nixed the DN in the 300+ line for the GP.  But the GP is an excellent model for that punch and girth that dreds are known for.

Edward