Author Topic: Change of strings on 12-string model  (Read 2485 times)

Cosmic String Theory

Change of strings on 12-string model
« on: September 21, 2021, 07:08:31 AM »
Strings generate opinions, some of them strange, and, for what it's worth, here's another.
My K62ce is a lovely guitar when plugged in but acoustically it's, shall we say, restrained. I use D'Addario EJ 38s, which are PB and uncoated. I happened to have a set of D'Addario NB1047s, which are nickel bronze, because they make my Guild sound a little brighter. Putting these on the Taylor has made a huge difference. Not just brighter, but louder too. I am amazed at the change. Later today I'll see how it sounds when plugged in & see whether my duo partner likes it.
K62ce

CoryB

• Veteran Member
  • Oof
Re: Change of strings on 12-string model
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 09:35:33 AM »
Be sure and post your results. I need to restring my 562 and am looking at options.
CoryB
Acoustics, Electrics and amps. Oh my!

Cosmic String Theory

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 01:19:49 PM »
Well, as we know, the Taylor pickup is first-rate so it's no surprise that an improvement in the acoustic sound is repeated when you plug in. The strings don't look classy, being silver and not matching the gold on the guitar, but my word it's an easy trade-off. The tone is brighter and there is considerably more volume. These strings might be overly bright on some guitars but on this koa box they're the dog's danglies. Give 'em a go!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:08:45 AM by Cosmic String Theory »
K62ce

Mainer

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 02:19:23 PM »
Does Taylor ship 12 strings with Elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze lights (.10)? I have a 150e I bought used and just ordered some of those for it. That is all I use on my 6 string Martin but the custom light .11 size. thanks

SDTaylorman

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 04:24:18 PM »
Does Taylor ship 12 strings with Elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze lights (.10)? I have a 150e I bought used and just ordered some of those for it. That is all I use on my 6 string Martin but the custom light .11 size. thanks

As usual, the answers you seek have been thought of and posted by the nice folks at Taylor: https://blog.taylorguitars.com/faq-string-types-and-gauges

For those loathe to click through here's the 12 string only:
Acoustic 12-String Models = Elixir Phosphor Bronze NANOWEB Light Gauge (.010 -.047)

ericjungemann

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 07:20:09 AM »
I've been using Elixir strings on my 12 strings since my first 555.

First Polyweb then Nanoweb.

They are not only recommended by Taylor but are simply fantastic strings, particularly on a 12 string.  They seem to last forever.  And they never break for me.  Even the high G.

There have been other threads on this subject with lots of support for them.

There has been a supply shortage for months due to COVID but finally they are available again.

Taylor has a great restringing video.  After playing  12 string for years, once I saw it, I never looked back.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80EuGOXgoOo&t=640s

Eric Jungemann
GS Mini E Koa Plus
150e

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 09:53:45 PM »
Elixir 12 String Lights (.010 - .047) for me and mine.

I have two 12 string guitars, both of which I tune down a semitone to D# (old habits die hard). And a while back I started tuning my 355 to DADGAD intervals, which means it starts in C#. Which means two courses and four strings tuned to C#, of course.   8)

Which also means I have two large body guitars that can get as loud and angry as I want, with a little extra 'rumble' on the side. Instant 'Wall of Sound'.   ;)

Edit => Now up to four 12 string guitars after adopting a Guild F-2512 and a Guild F-1512.

Don
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 04:13:38 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

beachbum205

• <><
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 08:20:13 AM »
I've been using Elixir strings on my 12 strings since my first 555.

First Polyweb then Nanoweb.

They are not only recommended by Taylor but are simply fantastic strings, particularly on a 12 string.  They seem to last forever.  And they never break for me.  Even the high G.

+1 to this! Elixir and Taylor go together like peanut butter and jelly, especially on a 12 string. They just sound great!

Plus, as an added bonus, they last about 3X as long as un-coated strings. For me, this is important since I really don't like changing strings, especially on my 12 string.
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

Cosmic String Theory

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2023, 05:10:47 PM »
Be sure and post your results. I need to restring my 562 and am looking at options.

Thanks for showing interest, Cory.
I don't know how to post recordings.
Maybe you tried these NB strings out? I'm still using them on this guitar and now they are on my Alvarez parlour guitar too.
K62ce

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 06:46:24 PM »
String choice is a very personal one because the sonic differences between every set are significant.  Everyone has their priorities, so choose accordingly.  For me, I have stuck with the elixir nano PBs because they not only sound good, but because they retain that excellent tone and feel throughout their entire useful life.  That excellence and consistency is my priority, even more so since I don't want to spend more money or time than I need to changing out 12 strings.

Edward

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 01:55:15 PM »
I am with Edward. Elixir, Nanoweb, phosphor bronze, especially for 12string’s.

Perhaps this would be a good place to post my search for the now discontinued Elixir  Leo Kottke, medium gauge nano web 12string sets

I am hoping, perhaps someone hereabouts has some sitting in a drawer going unused.

If so, I would love to purchase them!

Carry-on gang and have fun playing

Paul

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 02:50:59 PM »
Changing strings is not its own satisfying hobby IMHO, as many seem to think.  In the same way that reloading ammo is support for my shooting habit, rather than a separate hobby unto itself.  More power to you if string changes are "fun" instead of a chore to be tolerated.  I change strings as infrequently as practical.

My twelve strings almost always wear Elixir Nano light gauge sets (10-47) tuned to standard E-e.  My alternate on rare occasion is the GHS White Bronze set.  Those 52% nickel alloy strings last almost as long as coated strings, at least for my body chemistry and my ear, and they are notably cheaper than Elixir.
https://www.juststrings.com/ghs-wb-12l.html
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

gscratchutay

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2023, 09:57:51 AM »
My 456ce came with the standard Elixers.  When it came time for new strings, my luthier suggested D'Addario PB light (EJ38).  I tried them and prefer them to the Elixers.  My only issue is with the octave G - I kept breaking the 0.008, so I replaced it with a 0.009 which I love (I buy single strings from Just Strings)

As always, YMMV

Lillis

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 05:14:47 PM »
Long story short,I've bought two Taylor 12ers recently. A new all hog 362ce and a nice 2005 354ce.
I thought the 354 was too harsh/bright when I got it with what looked like PB strings. I put Martin Retros on it and it tamed it nicely.

The 362 sounded nice with the factory strings but I put NB's on it and it sounds much more robust and full. Still have other strings to try but I'd say the NB's will be in the rotation for sure.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 06:54:59 PM by Lillis »
512ce 12 fret,362ce & 322,Larrivee P03,00015SM

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2023, 03:53:08 PM »
My only issue is with the octave G - I kept breaking the 0.008, so I replaced it with a 0.009 which I love (I buy single strings from Just Strings)

As always, YMMV

This problem vexed me for a while when I bought my first Taylor 12 string. When the third one snapped I thought, ok, it's not the string. Or gauge. I figured it out eventually. I don't want to go through the physics of it, but the solution is to tune all the other strings to pitch. Get them settled in and stretched and stable. Then slowly tune the octave G to pitch. Problem solved.

Oh, and if you want to tune down all the strings, make sure you tune the octave G string down first. For me, problem solved forever.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa