Author Topic: Introducing myself with a question about my guitar  (Read 1555 times)

chaostica

Introducing myself with a question about my guitar
« on: July 25, 2021, 03:50:10 AM »
Hi,
I'm writing from Mitchells Island, NSW, Australia.  I've never owned a Taylor guitar (though that may change soon) but have a guitar that might interest those who are interested in Taylor history.  I've never really been a musician but have always had a guitar around me.  There've been years when I hardly picked it up but I still felt the need to have it around.  In the last 9 or so years I've gotten interested in song writing and so have been playing a whole lot more.  Still not performing except on the occasionally open mic night.

My guitar.  In 1972 I left a guitar on a bus and never saw it again.  At least I think that's what happened to my previous guitar - I don't remember all that well.  However, what I do recall is that a friend in La Jolla (I'd gone to university at UCSD) knew of a place where I could get a hand made guitar for $150.  Sounded great to me so I told him to go ahead and order one for me which he did.  I was about to leave on a trip to South America and went to pick up the guitar a day or two before I left.  While I was fiddling with my new guitar in the office of the company that built it someone came into the room waving a sheet of paper saying "Look at this".  (Or something like that).  The guitar I was picking up had (and still has) a fibreglass back.  The piece of paper was from Ovation.  At the time someone said Ovation was suing them but I later heard it was a cease and desist order.  I guess Ovation figured that they owned exclusive rights to the use of fibreglass in guitar construction (the guitar does not look like an ovation).  The company that made my guitar had made, I was told, twelve of them.  Mine was number twelve and was obviously the last.  It was a good guitar and has served me very well for 50 years. 

Many years later I was telling this story to someone at a computer conference and he asked for more details.  I told him what I could and he told me that he was almost certain that the company I'd bought it from was American Dream and that a friend of his probably worked there at the time.  That friend was Bob Taylor.  The guitar is not signed in any way.  There is no evidence indicating that it came from anywhere.  I pressed the guy who gave me that information to ask Bob Taylor about the guitar.  It took a long time but he finally did.  He reported that Bob laughed and said "I remember working on a couple of those".  That's it.  That's all the evidence that I have that mine is a guitar with a significant history. 

What i do have is a guitar that has a great story.  I think it's true.  A pre-Taylor can be a valuable guitar.  A pre-pre-Taylor without any evidence probably not so much.  However, I'm curious to hear if anyone on this forum has ever heard of the American Dream fibreglass backed guitars.  It's possible that there are 11 more out there but it's possible that mine is that only one that has survived.  Who knows. 

I've always love the guitar but having a good back story encouraged me to spend almost $1000 (on a $150 guitar) to fix it's action about 15 years ago.  The luthier liked the sound and the story but had to tell me when his work was done that it didn't actually have a truss rod, a lack that he fixed up.  I did say that it was a pre-pre after all.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
Re: Introducing myself with a question about my guitar
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 08:29:46 AM »
Welcome chaostica,

Don't know anything about the guitar, but that's a fine story. Truth often being stranger than fiction, I would cherish both the guitar and the story.

Thanks for sharing from the far side of the world. (I'm in Massachusetts USA.)

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 08:46:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
An interesting story, I hope it is true. I wonder if you could send a detailed email with pictures to Taylor and see if they could get it to Bob, to get a documented response. It would be worth a try and could result in some clarification and proof of the story. If you do, we'd love to hear back.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 02:33:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
An interesting story, I hope it is true. I wonder if you could send a detailed email with pictures to Taylor and see if they could get it to Bob, to get a documented response. It would be worth a try and could result in some clarification and proof of the story. If you do, we'd love to hear back.

Might even become a quick story box for 'Wood & Steel' ?

;)  8)

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 03:30:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Might even become a quick story box for 'Wood & Steel' ?

;)  8)

Don
Great minds think alike, Don. I was thinking the same thing.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Davidsfavoritetaylor810

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 11:33:29 AM »
Wow sounds like a great story
You can call / Email Taylor to see if they have any information about it.
I remember reading in the early years the company ( Taylor ) was buying old models they had produced to add to their vault.
Also remember seeing Two Brazilian Rosewood American Dream Guitars in Guitar Center( Hollywood Location ).
I wanted to take a trip over there just to play them but were sold before I made the trip.
How about the shape of the headstock the American Dream guitars at least shared that in common.
Good luck on you quest
1993 Taylor 810
2000 Taylor 810-B Legends of The Fall

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 07:05:17 PM »
I have heard the story of fiberglass backs a couple of times over the 30-plus years that Taylor has been on my radar, including the cease & desist letter from Ovation.  I don't doubt the authenticity of your tale.  Proven or not, it is a cool back story and really neat personal history.  Welcome to the forum from the Northern Hemisphere!
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby