Author Topic: Hi from Minnesota! NGD - Academy 12  (Read 1403 times)

FerrisB

Hi from Minnesota! NGD - Academy 12
« on: July 15, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
Hello from Minnesota! I just purchased a Taylor Academy 12 yesterday - what a great instrument! Some brief history: I have played trombone for about 40+ years in many classical and jazz settings, I've been a band director (now a math teacher), and I started playing electric bass about 3 years ago - playing at church along with other opportunities as they come up. I've always wanted to pursue playing acoustic guitar more seriously - started a few times in my past - but I got frustrated with the playability of the dreadnought (not a Taylor) guitar I had available. Recently I have been trying guitars at my local guitar shop - trying mostly 100 and 200 series guitars that were in stock at various times, but I hadn't been ready to "pull the trigger" on one that was in stock. Then yesterday I stopped by and they had just received an A12 (no electronics) a few days ago. I hadn't tried or considered the Grand Concert body since I think none are available until the 300 series or higher?

Wow - I found the one that "spoke" to me right away in the A12! I had wanted something with a smaller body than the dreadnought I had before, and I'm so glad I found this one - what great balanced tone and awesome playability! I've since checked out some of the promotional videos at Taylor's website on the Academy series, and I greatly appreciate the design approach where every aspect included in these guitars is necessary to provide great tone and playability at this price point - the cost cutting is done on other features. I also really like the Grand Concert body style and tone it provides!

I joined this forum a while ago - but this is my first post - great to be here again!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 09:52:51 AM by FerrisB »
Taylor Academy 12, Yamaha Basses

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hi from Minnesota! NGD - Academy 12
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 10:09:51 AM »
Welcome FerrisB. What a nice post....and your choice in a first Taylor for you seems to be a great fit. I think you're going to move forward nicely on the acoustic guitar now. BTW, I'm a former band student myself, playing from 1973 - 1981....flute only for a couple years, then alto sax. We sure hope you stick around, you should find the forum to be friendly, helpful, and informative.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 09:28:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good choice on the Academy. Best bang for the buck out there.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 09:55:02 PM »
Welcome FerrisB!

That's a sweet-looking A12 you've got there. Play it good health!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
Welcome FerrisB,

I have a couple of Grand Concerts, and they are fine guitars indeed. If you ever want to move to a steel string instrument, I can highly recommend the 412e-R as one you should consider. A short scale guitar with solid rosewood back and sides, making it an easy one to play and producing a great sound.

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo