Author Topic: Soft frets?  (Read 3344 times)

Ohio Tom

Re: Soft frets?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 03:49:12 PM »
My main player guitars these days are carbon fiber and they all have mirror polished SS frets.  But as I said before, there are plenty of nickel silver fretted guitars at my house and in my past.  They've had countless hours of play time and show minimal divots or wear.

"Stainless steel" is a semi-generic name for literally dozens of alloys.  Some are even non-magnetic, which is weird for steel.  As I recall from my materials science classes back in engineering school many moons ago, there is a whole range of metallurgical properties under the "stainless" umbrella.

You are correct. Many grades of stainless. They all have their place in machinery.
They all have high nickel/chromium content however and that's what makes it have un-usual wear characteristics.

Luecack

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 06:48:52 PM »
No issues outside of normal wear with my 10 year old 214Ce.

I have a AD27e that I got in April, and it

Gabrielobrien

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 09:02:52 AM »
This is super weird. Taylor hasn’t changed fret material in at least 20 years, so that’s bizarre. Could be a problem from the manufacturer but that’s really unlikely.

Purely anecdotal, but I got a first-run AD27 last July. Neck angle and everything was great, no big set-up issues. By September I had it in the shop for fretwear. Guitars I've had and played hard for many years didn't have frets anywhere near as bad as how these looked. There was even a bunch of metal "dust" coating the fretboard around the areas of the wear. It was real strange. I took it to Third Coast, an authorized Taylor shop here in Chicagoland, they didn't understand it either. Taylor doesn't normally cover fretwear, but they made an exception and paid for the fret dressing.

Since then there is a bit of visible wear, nothing like what it was. But I've also been playing it far less often, so who knows.