Author Topic: Removal of ES2 under saddle pickup  (Read 1813 times)

MarkH

Removal of ES2 under saddle pickup
« on: May 29, 2021, 11:29:59 AM »
I have a new 614ce Builders Edition. I would have ordered it without electronics had I known the terrible tone that the ES2 had...at least in mine.
I have searched but have been unable to find info on removing the pickup under the saddle of the ES2 system. I am replacing with the Baggs Anthem SL (I hear the regular Anthem module won’t fit the new v bracing). Is the pickup glued? ...and if so, what would be the safest way to remove it?
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else. I could not find it.

CoryB

• Veteran Member
  • Oof
Re: Removal of ES2 under saddle pickup
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 12:19:41 PM »
The ES2 systems on my guitars use sensors behind the saddle, not under it. Check yours carefully. If you see three round plugs, each with a tiny Allen screw, those are your ES2 pickups. You have the option to not use the ES2 but you can’t really remove the sensors without some custom made plugs to fill the holes in the bridge. There are kits on Etsy that will replace the battery box assembly to allow you to still use a strap.

Also, if you search through here, you’ll find the method of adjusting the pickups and knobs to get a decent sound. Some people also use things like the Tonedexter to shape the sound the way they want it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 12:23:54 PM by CoryB »
CoryB
Acoustics, Electrics and amps. Oh my!

MarkH

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 11:35:58 AM »
I’ve done just about everything to try to pull the honkyness from this system. Parametric and graphic EQs, Fishman Aura Spectrum, etc. I want to have a good sound before a bunch of tweaking. I have to set a parametric so extrem to get it to sound it’s best, but the problem with that is that with an eq set so extreme, even changing to a different chord changes the sound too much not to even mention capo changes. It is completely unusable in this particular guitar unless string scrapes is your thing. The pickup is so hot that the pickup picks up EVERYTHING...including the sound of me sweating. But I am talking about the pickup inside the guitar under the saddle. I need it removed to install the Baggs Anthem mic into that location.
I posted a photo but it didn’t show up. I will try again.

CoryB

• Veteran Member
  • Oof
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 07:22:37 PM »
Yep, that’s the three plugs with Allen screws that you see behind the saddle. Have you backed off the adjustment screws on them? You need a .050 Allen wrench to adjust them.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/2449-ES2-Tech-Sheet-2014.pdf

Worst case would be to complain to Taylor and see if they will replace the pickup for you.
CoryB

MarkH

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 07:51:40 PM »
Thanks so much for your input Cory...So the pickup will drop out if I remove the Allen screws? It’s that easy?

Yes I have adjusted them but it still will not remove the problem. It sounds as if a hot Omni condenser mic is inside the guitar facing up behind the strings and aimed right at my D&G strings where my fingers pluck. It is just terrible.
I installed the Baggs Lyric and it sounds worlds better but just a little lacking in controllable bass.
I am confident the under saddle Baggs paired with the internal mic (the Baggs anthem SL) is what I have been looking for.
I don’t have the time to wait for Taylor to do anything. I just want this Baggs Anthem SL installed as quick as I can so that I can start using this Taylor at gigs.

CoryB

• Veteran Member
  • Oof
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 08:05:35 PM »
I don’t know that you need to remove the Allen screws, just loosen them. Give the pickups a bit of a push and see if they will come out. If not, loosen the screws more.

You’ve still got the electronics boards inside to deal with though.
CoryB

MarkH

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 08:09:11 PM »
I am just going to leave that and the under fretboard pu alone in case I was to ever sell it to someone who preferred finger scraping sounds.

Thanks so much for your input.