Author Topic: Hello from Pittsburgh!  (Read 873 times)

bert109

Hello from Pittsburgh!
« on: April 21, 2021, 06:24:56 PM »
Hi all! Just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for the great information here in the forums. A little about myself, I am a registered nurse working in patient safety that is at the tail end of my 50's. I played electric guitar during my late teens/early 20's putting the instrument away after marriage and the birth of my children. During some time off work early in my career I picked up a cheap Fender F-5 and started to play again but a return to work and family obligations left little time. About twelve years ago my wife gifted me with a Takamine G series for Christmas which again sparked my interest, but again work obligations left only sporadic time to practice. Fast forward to the pandemic and the isolation of working from home, no business travel and the need of a diversion for what I encountered daily in my work I started to devote time daily to playing. Since that time I have set aside at least an hour to practice, working diligently to get better (unfortunately still a seasoned novice, lol) but more than anything just having fun. My fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be, but I really enjoy myself. So much so that I purchased a new Taylor 214ce plus a few weeks ago. It's amazing to hear the difference in tone between my guitars, although all served a purpose for the time they were purchased. I now am enjoying and look forward to my daily sessions even more with this new guitar. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thank everyone for their participation in this forum that educated me prior to my first Taylor purchase (and hopefully not my last). Cheers!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Hello from Pittsburgh!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 07:36:02 PM »
Welcome from a expatriot Pittsburgher!  Lots of similar stories in this group of folks about our respective journeys in music.

Next time you go shopping for a Taylor, wander over to Mount Lebanon and visit Empire Music -- it's the guitarist's version of Kennywood! ;)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 08:47:17 PM »
Welcome Bert - that's a nice-looking guitar! I hope you enjoy it along with your stay here. Have fun!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

bert109

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 10:03:48 PM »
Welcome from a expatriot Pittsburgher!  Lots of similar stories in this group of folks about our respective journeys in music.

Next time you go shopping for a Taylor, wander over to Mount Lebanon and visit Empire Music -- it's the guitarist's version of Kennywood! ;)

Tim, I couldn't have said it better, that's exactly where I purchased my guitar. Great knowledgeable owners and support staff, they have a customer for life.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 05:03:59 PM »
Welcome Bert, I'll second what SF said....a nice looking Taylor! Hope you enjoy your time here.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!