Author Topic: Hi from Bangkok, Thailand  (Read 1059 times)

SUPERTOMMO

Hi from Bangkok, Thailand
« on: April 13, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've been a silent observer here for a while and thought that I should finally introduce myself.

My name is Tom and as the topic name suggests I'm from Thailand. (For those of you who are more familiar with the country, yes, this is not my actual birth name). I'm 39 and used to play guitar in my high school years and by play I mean play, not much practice. By the time I was around 19, I sold my 2 guitars I had at the time and never really played again... until...

Around 3-4 years ago, I had an urge to start playing again and with my wife, we went to a guitar store, bought myself some 150$ Takamine and there I was, playing again.

To be honest, up until around last year, I hadn't practice much. I just picked up the guitar and played every once in a while and one day, somehow I wanted to get more serious. I practiced more and more, started learning more techniques, more songs (yeah I know it's a bad habit to learn from songs ;)) I then sold my Takamine and got myself a Taylor 214ce which I loved so much and that's put me down quite deep in a rabbit hole.

I then got a Martin DJR 10E, though I kinda liked it, ended up selling and also sold my Taylor 214ce and bought myself a Builder's Edition 324ce.

Then within the span of 30 days, I bought a used Gibson J-15 and a Lakewood C36. My wife still doesn't know I own 3 acoustic guitars now.

I really love small guitars but being in Thailand, it's very difficult to find them because most dealers don't seem to ever have them in stock (except for of course, like really a lot of GS Mini and Sheeran which I tried but didn't really like so much). I'm currently trying to decide which guitar to buy next, between Martin 0, Taylor GT or a Wee Lowden, will most likely have to pre-order them which is what I don't really so much. I think guitar is one of the thing you have to buy the actual piece you try. And maybe after that, I can really start practicing...

Anyways, I think my introduction is getting quite long and I don't want to bore you guys any longer. I feel grateful to be a part of the community and have learnt a lot from all you experience ones.

Please accept my apologies if my writing seems strange here and there. English is not my first language and I definitely don't always do a good job using it as the second.

Nice to meet you all!
Taylor Builder’s Edition 324ce
Gibson LG-2 American Eagle
Lakewood C-36 Edition 2020
Taylor GT 811e

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hi from Bangkok, Thailand
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 05:23:07 PM »
Welcome Tom, glad you decided to join. Your English is quite good, no need to apologize. Enjoy your time here.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:27:49 PM »
Welcome Tom!

Your story is familiar to many here. I've tried and owned many guitars until I found the one style that fits me the best. Playing and practicing are important, if for no other reason than  to help you find the sound, feel and looks of the guitar or guitars that work for you. You have  three nice guitars right now. My advice is to play the heck out of them before buying anything else. Lots of good wisdom on this forum. Enjoy the journey!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 07:57:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum Tom.Was last in Bangkok in about 1999. Fell down on more than one Soi. I must be mistaken, but I was under the impression there was a dealer in town. Again, was a long time ago. Anyway, glad to have you here.

SUPERTOMMO

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 10:51:20 PM »
Welcome Tom, glad you decided to join. Your English is quite good, no need to apologize. Enjoy your time here.

Thanks so much

Welcome Tom!

Your story is familiar to many here. I've tried and owned many guitars until I found the one style that fits me the best. Playing and practicing are important, if for no other reason than  to help you find the sound, feel and looks of the guitar or guitars that work for you. You have  three nice guitars right now. My advice is to play the heck out of them before buying anything else. Lots of good wisdom on this forum. Enjoy the journey!

That is what I should actually do, just let me get one more first hahaha. Thanks for your advice.

Welcome to the forum Tom.Was last in Bangkok in about 1999. Fell down on more than one Soi. I must be mistaken, but I was under the impression there was a dealer in town. Again, was a long time ago. Anyway, glad to have you here.

Yes, there are distributors/dealers for all major brands. They don't really seem to carry many smaller guitars except for the less expensive options. For example, you won't see a lot of 0's or 00's from Martin, XX2 from Taylor, L-00 from Gibson, W or S from Lowden. In fact, except for some Taylor XX2, none of the other options are currently available new in any of the store now. (I called the main dist. and checked)
Taylor Builder’s Edition 324ce
Gibson LG-2 American Eagle
Lakewood C-36 Edition 2020
Taylor GT 811e