Author Topic: Hi all, glad to be here from S.F. Bay Area  (Read 1546 times)

Tony A.

Hi all, glad to be here from S.F. Bay Area
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:26:29 PM »
I got my new Taylor on March 9th from Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. When I have a few minutes I will post a photo or two. It is a Custom 12 fret Grand Concert with X-bracing, no cutaway and the pick guard is included, but not on the guitar. The custom guitar specifications were originally given to Taylor from the person at the shop, Alex, who let me play and helped me choose among their stock.

The tone of the guitar is #1 with me, and that is what I based my choice on, but if anyone is curious about the custom bits, I can reply from the spec sheet I have.

The guitar was a retirement gift from my wife and I hope to get back to where I was pre-kids with some chord melody noodling and improv fun.

Prior guitar was a 1961 Epiphone Broadway which I traded in to help finance the Taylor. Before that, it was a Fender Mustang which I played in a high school rock band and a Cordovox band in the mid-late '60s.

Tony A.

Re: Hi all, glad to be here from S.F. Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »
Well, not the best start - if a moderator can move this to the "Welcome New Member" topic I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tony

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 05:59:42 PM »
Welcome Tony - sounds like a cool guitar! Would love to see pics. What woods were used ? Enjoy your stay with us!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 09:12:13 PM »
Welcome Tony. Congrats on the new Taylor and on your retirement. I think you're going to love both.  ;) :D
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Tony A.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 06:04:47 PM »
Welcome Tony - sounds like a cool guitar! Would love to see pics. What woods were used ? Enjoy your stay with us!
Thank you @Strumming Fool
Woods are: Mahogany for back/sides and neck with a torrified spruce top.

Tony A.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 06:10:26 PM »
Welcome Tony. Congrats on the new Taylor and on your retirement. I think you're going to love both.  ;) :D
Thank you @TaylorGirl
I see your signature. I am working my way through The Old-Time Fiddler's Repertory book while I torture my mandolin.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 09:05:55 PM »
Thank you @Strumming Fool
Woods are: Mahogany for back/sides and neck with a torrified spruce top.

Understated elegance - good for you!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 01:42:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a wonderful guitar. When I am in the Bay Area I only stop in to Gryphon's if I leave my wallet at home. They have one of the nicest collections of guitars.

Have a great journey with it and have fun here. This forum is full of great, knowledgable folks.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 04:38:14 PM »
Welcome Tony!  Years ago (almost 30 now !!) I lived in Petaluma but made it several times to Gryphon while doing work at job sites all around the Bay Area - lots of driving in heavy traffic.  Gryphon can be a wonderous but fiscally dangerous place to visit!  Apart form all the great instruments and people, one of my stronger memories was the old-time punch that says "This machine accepts all credit cards" and punches out 351 shaped teardrop picks.  No idea if that is still there after all these years. 

Oddly enough a Grand Concert (GC or x12) is the only classic Taylor body size that I have never owned.  I always enjoy playing them, but never pulled the trigger to purchase.  Congrats!
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 07:51:57 PM »
Welcome Tony. Glad your with us.

Tony A.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 08:46:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a wonderful guitar. When I am in the Bay Area I only stop in to Gryphon's if I leave my wallet at home. They have one of the nicest collections of guitars.

I was ready to buy, but didn't want to get overwhelmed with choices. Gryphon's collection was just the right size for me. Another shout out to Alex who connected with me and steered me to just the right guitar.

Tony A.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 08:57:20 PM »
Welcome Tony!  Years ago (almost 30 now !!) I lived in Petaluma but made it several times to Gryphon while doing work at job sites all around the Bay Area - lots of driving in heavy traffic.  Gryphon can be a wonderous but fiscally dangerous place to visit!  Apart form all the great instruments and people, one of my stronger memories was the old-time punch that says "This machine accepts all credit cards" and punches out 351 shaped teardrop picks.  No idea if that is still there after all these years.

I don't remember seeing the punch Earl.
The "This machine..." sign sounds like a Woodie Guthrie reference.

Tony A.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »
Welcome Tony. Glad your with us.
Thank you @Toucan256!

Hippy

• "To Live Outside the Law You Must Be Honest"
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 02:05:02 AM »
Hey Tony,
Great guitar!
I also bought a Taylor GC from Gryphon last year.
Play long & prosper!
1983 610 (old & worn)
1996 912 (slick & fancy)
2013 150e (easy 12)
1993 baby (backpacker)
2020 custom GC

Tony A.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 08:37:34 PM »
Hey Tony,
Great guitar!
I also bought a Taylor GC from Gryphon last year.
Play long & prosper!
Hey Hippy,
I looked at your recent past posts and see it was a built-to-order really nice GC. Hope you are still as over the moon as I am about my new guitar.
Tony