Author Topic: PB or 80/20 Strings on Taylor 514ce FM Ltd  (Read 556 times)

plivemusic

PB or 80/20 Strings on Taylor 514ce FM Ltd
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:47:35 PM »
Hi,

Would appreciate your thoughts on using PB or 80/20 strings on a 2015 514ce Flamed Mahogany Limited.

Also, what has been your experience been with 80/20's vs. PB on Taylors in general?

THANKS!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: PB or 80/20 Strings on Taylor 514ce FM Ltd
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:57:58 PM »
80/20s are brighter; PBs are warmer.  This is the general difference in timbre between these two string compositions.  That said, Elixir nanowebs tend to sound brighter than others I've used like D'Addario, Martin, and Dean Markley ...in my experience anyway.  So like all things "tone," you have to hear and judge with your own ears what works better on your particular guitar, Taylor or otherwise.  Everyone has their own definition of "good tone": one man's "bright" is another man's "clear," or yet another's "brash" ...same goes with "warm" for one is "dark" or even "muddy" to another.  Then there's the whole love/hate thing with coated strings, so this is something you should decide first.

But as for your specific guit, may I suggest (since you asked ;) ), elixir PB nanowebs in a medium-light gauge which will give you a bit more bass oomph on a GA body, but still offers the lighter feel for the GBE strings.  I love these, and I've found them to work on every GA and GC Taylor I've owned in the past, and currently a GC-body I own now.  No substitute for experimentation, of course.  But to help keep the cost down (esp since elixirs are pricey), think about which tonal direction you lean toward, and then go from there.

Edward
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 12:00:32 AM by Edward »

plivemusic

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 02:48:38 PM »
Edward,

Appreciate the thoughtful response -- very helpful!

Cheers!

Ohio Tom

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 01:09:02 PM »
I Love the brightness of new strings. Some hate it.. I have bad hearing so I need all the upper range I can get.

While I love the 80/20's they just don't last very long.
PB Nano web is my choice.

They don't start out quite so bright, but stay that way thru life.

I run "custom light" gage. they are a little larger on the base side.

Edward touches on one of my pet peeves.. I hat the arbitrary Jargon that is used to describe tone... Punch, drive,  presence, Clarity.. What do they all mean?

I'm a sound guy, Just describe it as frequency response curve and I get it...